Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's here it for the current owners of 2011 Sonata. Please tell us the trim of your car and your reason for choosing that particular trim over the other.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Limited was my only choice, the tough decision became limited with nav or without nav. Reason for Limited was it had features I wanted to have for sure. Features such as automatic climate control, heated rear seats, leather interior and some upgraded items like chrome door handles, and mirror turn signals. To me all of these items were worth the $2400 premium over GLS. When you factor it over 48 or 60 months it's not much more per month. As my friend said, go big or go home. hehe. Now deciding if Nav, backup camera and push start was worth $2k more was a tough decision but after having this car, it is well worth 2k for me. The backup camera is very handy due to poor rearward visability when backing up, Nav is fantastic and push button is well worth the cost too. I'm still getting used to it as I keep reaching for the fob and have to remind myself that it can stay in my pocket.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Pretty much the same as Souks. I ordered a Limited without Nav based on the info from reviews and before it was generally available for testing with the agreement that I can change or cancel if I had seen and drove the car in real metal. Once I have tested the car the "less than what I am used to " rearward visibility made me decide (with some convincing from Mrs RamKat) that the Limited with nav is the way to go. I believe the additional 5 to 6 weeks waiting time, resulting from my change of mind, will be worth it, but I am not in a rush.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (BiXLL @ Apr 21 2010, 07:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315228
All ready a thread on this subject with a poll, I am merging the 2.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t46503-which-model.htm
Please keep this 2 threads separated. I created this thread specifically for those who already owned the type of trim they have and get a deeper understanding on why they chose the model they did and not merely for anyone to post what model they prefer to get. What I am trying to see from this thread is for owners who may have originally thought of buying one trim, but then decided on getting a different one. I wanted to know what made them change their minds. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I ruled out the GLS right away because I'm a tech junkie and wanted all the cool toys that the SE and Limited had. I went in to buy a SE (mostly a cost decision). I test drove one and wasn't a fan of the looks of the seats, realized that I'd never use the paddle shifters, didn't like the chrome wheels, and the suspension was too harsh for me. They had a black, limited in the showroom, and it was beautiful. Test drove it, and the suspension was just right and I took it home.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For me there was no real debate. I like the feel and durability of leather and I don't think I would buy a car without it. I like the Sporty handling and paddle shifters (as well as the dual exhaust) on the SE but I didn't care for the seats being partial leather. I also didn't like that you had to get the Navigation to get the Sunroof.

·
Registered
343 Posts
For me it all boiled down to budget. I had 19K in cash and, although the tech toys are nice, my wife and I wanted to be able to write a check and go home with a car. We are pretty simple folks so we've never had a vehicle with leather so the GLS fit right within our budget and tastes. I did shell out for the Popular Package and it might have been nice to go for the Nav for an extra 1700, but not having it won't keep me awake at night either :)

I like the toys that come with the Limited but I didn't want to finance anything so I went with the GLS instead. Can't say as I feel I made a bad decision!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I went with the Limited with everything because it was such a great bargain compared to similarly equipped cars in the same category.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I bought the Limited. I'd have to say I really wanted the HD Radio. Seems like it is an up and coming technology, sounds amazing, and probably more and more stations will go this route over time. It has the CD Changer but I could care less about that, I use a flash drive for my music. I did not want the stiffer ride of the SE and I just came from a 2009 GLS and I hated the suspension on it. I also did not care about having paddle shifters. For me the alloy wheels really add to the look of this car. It didn't seem like so much of a difference for the 4th generation Sonata, going from hub caps to the wheels, but on this car I think the hub caps really look out of place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The SE was nice, the limited was nicer, but I didn't want to pay more than $19K for what amounts to "basic transportation" for me.
I am coming from a BMW 745Li with ALL the bells and whistles (how about heated/ a/c / massaging front seate) and 22-way adjustable front seats, heated steering wheel, power sunshades, radar enhanced cruise control, active HID projector lights, etc. I have had them all!

·
Registered
233 Posts
For me, the main reason was the SE's seats fit me better than the GLS and I could not afford the Limited. That said, if the seats were not an issue, I still would have preferred the SE for the 18 inch wheels, sport suspension and dual exhaust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I chose The GLS because it was around my budget and it had all the features i was looking for in a vehicle. I would have liked the SE though for the bigger wheels and darker interior.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I originally wanted the SE and when I test drove it, I just fell in love with the car. Now that I test drove the Limited, I must say that I am leaning more towards the limited now. The suspension are softer so the bumps are more forgiving. Although the seat does feel harder than the one the SE...it could be just my imagination. Of course the limited doesn't handle like the SE and I have to take softer turns. I liked the leather seats it seems it has more quality than the SE cloth/leather seats. I didn't like the glossy black trim, it did not seem elegant to me, but I do like the chrome trims around the cup holders. Overall, I like the Limited over the SE. It think it will be just a matter of price at this point.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Limited w/Nav. Leather made a huge difference to the interior and I wanted all the tech options. For $25K and change, it was too good a deal to pass up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I posted this in another thread but......The wife and I fell in love with the SE trim level and after seeing the price and noticing it was quite a bit less than the Limited we were very excited! We initially only test drove the SE as that is EXACTLY what she wanted, loved the looks of the dual exhaust, big wheels, etc... I kept doing more research and *I* personally started leaning towards the Limited but again, it was to be the wife's car so I'd leave the decision up to her.

We searched high and low for a Pearl White SE to no avail and then we went to the dealership anyways to go ahead and just order a Pearl White SE. As we got out of the car she eye-balled a Pearl White Limited and I suggested that we just test drive it to see what a Limited was like and she agreed. The dealership setup two test drives back-to-back with the Limited first and then immediately she got straight into a SE to do the same test drive. Going from the Limited to the SE was very disappointing for her. The ride was much stiffer/unforgiving in the SE and the interior just didn't seem as "luxury" after getting out of the Limited. The wife had a Acura TSX previously and the Limited got her closer to that feeling then the SE.

I never even test drove any Sonata before we bought it so it was all completely for her but I did love *riding* in the Limited more! haha

At that point I knew she was in love with the Limited and I was happy as well. We love all the tech stuff (no Nav for us) as well as the heated front/rear seats and dual climate control. Obviously the exterior looks of the car makes her smile everytime she gets into her car.

It's a great car, fabulous price and excellent choice if your shopping that kind of vehicle.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It must be the fact that I have always had sporty type cars that I found the SE much more to my liking. It was just so much more responsive, to me it was a no brainer to go with the SE.

·
Registered
564 Posts
For me, the decision was easy. GLS auto with Popular Group 2 all the way. The Sonata will be my daily driver and see about 16,000 miles per year. Road quality in this region is marginal at best, so no sense in buying a higher trim level just to have it get beat up.

The SE, with it's 18" wheels and slightly firmer suspension, would be too much for a commuter car.

The Limited I did not want simply because of the piano black interior trim on the dash and upper door panels. Too fragile for a daily driver. Also do not need leather, heated seats, etc.

The GLS is perfect for commuting.

The only thing I really wanted is a leather-wrapped steering wheel, but that can be easily remedied with a wheelskins leather steering wheel cover. That will most likely be my first add-on.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts