Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (MrSo0h0o @ May 1 2010, 01:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318553
they should have put the SE on the track, those numbers would be different, especially on the slalom and skid pad.
for some reason all the reviewers and testers are testing the car on track with GLS and compare SE against other cars

what's wrong with them ? they should test the SE on track and compare GLS/ltd against other cars!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think rather for some reason, Edmunds likes to create these contrived controversies to drive "reader interest" to their overly commercialized and corporatized site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Based on the wheel spin at launch and that chirp upshifting from 1st to 2nd, I'm pretty sure this is the GLS with 6-speed manual transmission. That would explain why they're testing it instead of an SE...it's the only trim level offered with a manual shifter!

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE (AllFiredUp @ May 1 2010, 09:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318673
Based on the wheel spin at launch and that chirp upshifting from 1st to 2nd, I'm pretty sure this is the GLS with 6-speed manual transmission. That would explain why they're testing it instead of an SE...it's the only trim level offered with a manual shifter!
You are right on all counts. Actually Hyundai gave them the early on to show how much car you could get for under twenty grand. Too bad Hyundai made no options available with the manual. They did not like the manual but when you can chirp second and most likely third if you know how to shift how bad that could be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ May 1 2010, 11:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318691
You are right on all counts. Actually Hyundai gave them the early on to show how much car you could get for under twenty grand. Too bad Hyundai made no options available with the manual. They did not like the manual but when you can chirp second and most likely third if you know how to shift how bad that could be?
It would be nice if the 2011 GLS Manual was at least available with the Popular Equipment Pkg 2. The 16" alloys and power driver's seat are features I'd definitely want, regardless of transmission!

The 2010 Sonata was the same; no options on the GLS 5-speed manual 'base' model. Hyundai also does the same thing with other models- the 2010 Tucson GLS manual, for example.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Exactly - and then there is a youtube video with the Hyundai marketing manager saying he knows a lot of enthusiasts don't understand why they don't make a manual SE but Hyundai does not see the demand. When you stack the deck the statement is definitely disingenuous. But with regard to your statement for a grand you could get a nice set of 18 or 17 inch wheels with 7 or 8 inch width which would much better than the 6.5 inch wide alloys. Plus you get a set of winter wheels.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fellow forum members who lament the ever shrinking offerings of manual transmissioned vehicles, I hear your cries. Unfortunately, the automotive industry and most consumers are moving away from this well established bastion of driver enthused, involved synchronicity, where both driver and car are engaged in a neurocentric symmetry of precision gears and sensory delight. Even upper end brands like Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes and BMW, are beginning to abandon them. So you can expect to see less and less of these manual offerings.

The reason? Advancements in automotive transmission technologies. Also semi-auto trannys are now more reliable than ever before. Another main benefit is the improved fuel economy savings over manuals.

But more importantly, this glaring statistic should help explain to all; In a study conducted by Wards Communications of all vehicles sold in 1985, 22.4% of all vehicles sold in the U.S. came with a manual transmission but by 2007, that number had shrunk to a whopping 7.7%!

It is not surprising then, that we see the emergence of the hybrid transmission, which allows the driver to shift gears, not because it is required between increased RPMs, but for the sensory pleasure of the “feeling” of some control. However, the facts are that manual transmissions have been on a slow decline since the ‘60s.

Bottom line: enjoy them where you can find them and be glad where they are available. I agree, we don’t have to like it but that is the reality.

Sources:
http://www.insideline.com/features/brave-n...less-world.html
http://autos.aol.com/article/stick-shift-love-affair/
http://www.automoblog.net/2010/04/01/the-i...l-transmission/
http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/techno...ick-Shift-.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts