Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very close to buying a Sonata and am trying to decide on the trim.

I test drove an SE and liked it but I've been reading a lot about it riding a bit tough on rough roads.

I like the appointments of the LTD but it's starting to get up there pricewise.

How is the basic stereo compared with the upgraded one?

What about the GLS with the 02 package?

Lot of decisions

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
424 Posts
assuming the base gls is about 20k and the fully loaded with navi sunroof etc is about 26k, your lookin at about a 30 percent increase in price.....that's A LOT when u look at in that way yeah ?

the base model is already equipped with bluetooth, ipod, usb and the sound system is pretty good for what I need. I have no intentions to upgrade it.

all a GLS needs is a nice set of 18" wheels to make it look up to par! Here's mine with a more aggressive fit, the wheels come out more than the oem 18" and make it look better IMO. the original 18" has a higher offset and probably only 7" wide and looks too sunken into the car. see if u notice it on this pic:

QUOTE (iluvstrats @ Aug 10 2010, 03:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348462
I'm very close to buying a Sonata and am trying to decide on the trim.

I test drove an SE and liked it but I've been reading a lot about it riding a bit tough on rough roads.

I like the appointments of the LTD but it's starting to get up there pricewise.

How is the basic stereo compared with the upgraded one?

What about the GLS with the 02 package?

Lot of decisions

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It's your car you should get what you want. Make a list of needs and wants, and consider how much you'd like to pay.

If you want my opinion i'd get the GLS to save money up front and spend money on aftermarket mods of your choice (which look better imo) instead of getting stuck with Hyundai's opinion of extra ''features''. The base model comes with most of the stuff that you need/use on a daily basis such as your Bluetooth, your usb input, cruise control etc.

At the end of the day though it comes back to you. Some will say they rather pay more for features up front and have it added to their car payment/invoice. I preferred to go the opposite route which is to pay less up front and slowly mod the crap out of my car making it fun and exciting throughout the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The SE has a stiffer suspension and I love the dual chrome tail pipes. That and paddle shifters, if you care at all about it. Those changes aren't easily added in. I'd choose between the SE or GLS depending on if you like a softer or firmer drive. You can always customize appearance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
well maybe it is worth 6k:

you get:

dual exhaust (500)
sunroof (300)
navigation plus upgraded stereo (900)
paddle shifters (if u ever use it) (100)
leather package (600)
driver power seats (300)

totals about 2700 based on my personal valuation

·
Registered
603 Posts
Something that may ultimately decide for you is that the SEs and Limiteds can be very hard to find in some areas of the country, especially if you want a specific color, whereas the GLSes are a lot more common.

The GLS is still a **** of a car, especially for what you get for the money.

I think you'll be happy no matter which one you get! :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Haha. I cant believe H E doublehockeysticks is censored here! :) **** **** **** ***** ********** ** ******* **** ******* *********** ***** *********!!!!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Go for the SE. You might even end up with better resale then the GLS. That way you get the best bang for the buck right off the lot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Came down to the SE and Limited for me. One test drive at highway speeds though and I knew I couldn't stand that suspension at my age. The Ltd seat is hard enough (be forewarned). I wish there were more options within trim pkgs to choose from but there is not. I love the look of the dual exhaust on the SE, but that's primarily cosmetic. I don't have Nav so don't have the upgraded sound. Mine is good enough but not great.

And in my neck of the woods, there is/was simply not much to choose from in terms of either trim levels or colors. Even within a 100 mi radius, the choices were pretty small. For me, if I was going to buy a new car, I was willing to spend a few extra bucks to get close to what I wanted. Otherwise I'd have bought used and tried to get the best quality for whatever I decided to spend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to go for the SE. I like the better stereo and the look over the GLS and even though it only has 2 more horse power it seemed a bit quicker.

I was a bit worried when I read the reviews about the SE being noisier then the GLS. I'm 57 and do like a smooth quiet ride but I'm coming from a Mazdaspeed 3 which was very loud on the highway and rough on bumpy roads. The SE is much smoother and quieter than that car.

Through my USAA car buying plan, I can get the car for almost $400 under invoice.

I'm holding out for a white one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Consider the ride. The SE has a harder ride compared to the others. I almost didn't get it because I prefer a softer ride and was concerned I might hate it. But I liked everything else about the car so I had to have it. Fortunately, I've gotten used to the ride and kind of like it now. But if you're used to a softer ride you might not like it. You just have to test drive them and see how they feel. I don't think the SE's noisy. At least my SE seems really quiet. Maybe not compared to the GLS or Ltd but not compared to my previous car (Elantra) so it's an improvement for me!

Some say the harder ride is due to the suspension. The dealer told me it was just because of the larger wheels and low profile tires. If the latter is the case I suppose you could always change those at some point if you really hated it later.

Be sure to haggle. I was surprised when I heard very few people actually bother to try to get the dealer to come down in price. But they're quite willing to haggle. They don't need to make much off the car because they get bonuses from Hyundai for sales volume, and kick-backs from the banks for financing, so they'll still do fine cutting the sticker price. The car I wanted had a Nav system. I told the guy to find me that exact car without the nav system because I wouldn't have a lot of use for it. He didn't want to locate another car so he deducted the cost for the nav upgrade ($1,000 off!). Plus, I wanted tinted windows and they don't do tinting so he took another $300 of so I could go get them tinted. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a GLS with the popular equipment package and navigation. I had the dealer add after market saddle brown leather and I installed and aftermarket wood trim kit. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First post - I'd like to thank others for providing some of the Sonata pics.

I've been considering the 2011 Sonata for my first Hyundai (my significant other has been through 2 Santa Fes and relentlessly taunts my sputtering 10 year old Focus.

Just started a new job with a major bank, and the Focus is on its last legs without major repairs. My boss's boss poiinted me at the Sonata, and that's when I went to look.

Test drove a GLS in Orlando. I was looking at SEs vs GLS. I don't think they differ on a lot, but the main differences seem to be the ability to get the sunroof/nav package. Unfortunately, while I don't care for the nav package (it's a nice-to-have luxury that I don't need), I really wanted to try to get a sunroof. So I guess I'm down to getting a GLS and doing an aftermarket sunroof at some point, or getting the SE and a nav package I don't care about.

I have no idea how much an aftermarket sunroof would run - any thoughts?

Should I bite the (approx.) several thousand dollar bullet and just get the SE? Is the Sonata's sunroof really worth it?

EDIT: I would like to note that I did like the red and silver, but the red GLS has that HIDEOUS (IMO) camel two tone... so that's a major turnoff.

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (ckjax @ Aug 12 2010, 12:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348864
Test drove a GLS in Orlando. I was looking at SEs vs GLS. I don't think they differ on a lot, but the main differences seem to be the ability to get the sunroof/nav package. ...
Hey, :00000732: to the board, ckjax.

Actually, I believe you'll find that the main difference between the GLS and the SE is that the SE has (from the brochure):

+ 6-speed automatic with steering wheel mounted paddle shifters
+ 18-inch Hyper Silver alloy wheels with Performance tires
+ Sport-tuned suspension
which all translate to a "sportier" look and feel. Most importantly is that the ride is both a bit more responsive and a bit more stiff (some say "harsh", but that seems a bit harsh to me).

I guess, though, that what one thinks is "most important" my be somewhat subjective.

Of course you can add an after market sunroof to either model (the Limited includes the sunroof).

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Aug 12 2010, 07:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348904

Actually, I believe you'll find that the main difference between the GLS and the SE is that the SE has (from the brochure):

which all translate to a "sportier" look and feel. Most importantly is that the ride is both a bit more responsive and a bit more stiff (some say "harsh", but that seems a bit harsh to me).

I guess, though, that what one thinks is "most important" my be somewhat subjective.

Of course you can add an after market sunroof to either model (the Limited includes the sunroof).
And don't forget dual exhaust and fog lights.

I think if I could do it over, I'd get the SE without the Nav since i never use the nav (touchscreen is nice though) and I have a magellan that has always worked fine. I'd have the same payment basically but have all of the features above, and you can get Black/Black with the SE and only Black/Grey with the GLS.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Get what SE and decide on NAV or no NAV once you hear the radio. I bought my SE black/black unseen and first one at the dealer to have NAV. I needed the NAV to make $$$ amount for company car. Weird but it worked out.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (ckjax @ Aug 12 2010, 12:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348864
First post - I'd like to thank others for providing some of the Sonata pics.

I've been considering the 2011 Sonata for my first Hyundai (my significant other has been through 2 Santa Fes and relentlessly taunts my sputtering 10 year old Focus.

Just started a new job with a major bank, and the Focus is on its last legs without major repairs. My boss's boss poiinted me at the Sonata, and that's when I went to look.

Test drove a GLS in Orlando. I was looking at SEs vs GLS. I don't think they differ on a lot, but the main differences seem to be the ability to get the sunroof/nav package. Unfortunately, while I don't care for the nav package (it's a nice-to-have luxury that I don't need), I really wanted to try to get a sunroof. So I guess I'm down to getting a GLS and doing an aftermarket sunroof at some point, or getting the SE and a nav package I don't care about.

I have no idea how much an aftermarket sunroof would run - any thoughts?

Should I bite the (approx.) several thousand dollar bullet and just get the SE? Is the Sonata's sunroof really worth it?

EDIT: I would like to note that I did like the red and silver, but the red GLS has that HIDEOUS (IMO) camel two tone... so that's a major turnoff.
While after market sunroofs have come a long way, I think you would be happier in the long run to get the OEM version.

I use my sunroof almost daily. How much you would use it would depend on your personal preference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you could wait around just a little bit more, you might want to add the hybrid and the turbo to your list. if the numbers on press releases are anywhere near beng true, there shouldn't be a huge price difference between these two new models and existing ones. especially with the incentive for the hybrid, it might actually end up as being cheaper than all of the other models.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everything boils down to what's important to you. We have had several "luxury" cars and honestly are kinda spoiled (and for $10-20k less than past cars for us was a flippin bargain!). The GLS is every bit as fine a car as the Limited but it comes down to features and what you plan to live with for (hopefully) years.

Our last car we tried to be frugal for a change, it had cloth seats, no sunroof, no power seats...basic. We loathed that car for many levels but lots for the little niceties we had come to expect out of our family hauler (it was gone before a year had ticked by). Leather is pretty important to us both as a cleaning function for a 2 year old and a luxury item. A Sunroof is VERY important to me (each car I've had without one has been gone within a year and I whine about it)........these 2 items kinda put is in the Limited. Due to choices (or lack thereof) we got a car with NAV, but I wanted one without (the camera is another thing we had in the past and is really nice to have back) but I could have happily lived without that, my Android honestly does an equal or better job.

The SE had cloth in the middle of the seats and no Sunroof (would have cost us as much as the Limited to have those added and I'd rather not aftermarket them if I can).

The Limited BTW does NOT have dual exhausts or the paddle shifters (I'll stay off my soapbox about the BS on paddle shifters so I don't tick off anyone) nor does it have 18" wheels. If sport is more important to you and you don't care about the Sunroof look there! We have 2 true sports cars, the Sonata has only to coddle us :)

Personally I think Hyundai has done a fabulous job on this car, it's a lot of things to a lot of people (from a very nice yet affordable car to a very nice near luxury car).

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Aug 12 2010, 07:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=348904

Sorry, was out of town to pack up my place in Orlando to move.

Most of the sportier stuff doesn't mean much to me. The main thing is that if you get the SE and you want a sunroof, you have to get the Nav unit. I would gladly take an SE without the Nav with a sunroof. I'm not sure if that's the kind of thing you can negotiate (I've only bought the one car from a dealer, so I'm not ultra-experienced at haggling on cars). The Nav is mostly a nicety that I would enjoy for a little while, but ultimately would not miss that much as long as I had satellite radio and a decent sound system. Has anyone had any luck with trying to wiggle out of the nav with a sunroof on the SE?

The paddles would be nice, but again, not a necessity.

I couldn't get a red car with the GLS version because I can't stand the beige two-tone. I saw it in the dealership and it just didn't look good at all. With the SE, I could at least get a different interior color with red. I'm also digging the silver, in which case it doesn't matter what I get.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts