Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else experiencing an extremely loud plastic on plastic sound coming from the glove box door when traveling over rough/bumpy roads? I can make it go away by putting light pressure on the glove box door.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not really a solution, but try putting the owners manual in the center console. That thing is a monstrosity and it might rattle things a bit bouncing around the glove box.

·
Registered
817 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
The fix is to apply some felt tape to the contact points on the glovebox that are causing the noise. If you don't have felt tape, moleskin which can be purchased at any drugstore will probably work just as well. The TSB has complete instructions and pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem, rattles from the glovebox. Brought the car to the dealer, and yes they installed the felt strips. In my case it was actually foam tape. It look really bad, come on, this is a new car. So I took them off, made some rubber washers and placed them under the two rubber bumbers. The rubber bumbers are now approx. 1mm further out. Rattle is gone and looks good again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've tried creating an account with that Hyundai site a few times and with different browsers and keep failing. "Please review and check privacy policy and usage agreement" keeps popping up and I get a blank page when I click on the privacy policy link.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (schagrb @ Sep 12 2010, 07:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355906
I had the same problem, rattles from the glovebox. Brought the car to the dealer, and yes they installed the felt strips. In my case it was actually foam tape. It look really bad, come on, this is a new car. So I took them off, made some rubber washers and placed them under the two rubber bumbers. The rubber bumbers are now approx. 1mm further out. Rattle is gone and looks good again.

What did you use to make the rubber washers?

They did the TSB on my car, but it's still there and I can make it go away by applying pressure to the glove box door. I'm deployed right now, so I won't be able to try this fix until I get home though. Short term was to relocate the big **** manual to the trunk so when the fiancee drives it, the sound isn't there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Philth @ Sep 13 2010, 12:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355937
What did you use to make the rubber washers?

They did the TSB on my car, but it's still there and I can make it go away by applying pressure to the glove box door. I'm deployed right now, so I won't be able to try this fix until I get home though. Short term was to relocate the big **** manual to the trunk so when the fiancee drives it, the sound isn't there.
I used some silicon rubber we have at work. I used different thicknesses since I didn't know what works. I ended up using a 1mm thick silicon rubber with a hardness of 60 shore. I used a hole punch to punch them out, then a pen to punch out a small hole in the middle. I used a knife to make a slit from the small midlle hole to the outside to be able to get it around the rubber bumpers where the glove door presses against. The result is that the rubber bumbers are now approx. 1mm further out and put pressure on the locks. The rattle is gone. I am sure you can use other materials as well, maybe some thin felt or similar

·
Registered
589 Posts
I used masking tape on mine, and worked perfectly. And it happens to be the same color as my trim, so it's practically invisible, even when the glove box is opened. Easy fix once you know where it creaks :grin:.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (schagrb @ Sep 13 2010, 08:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355968
I used some silicon rubber we have at work. I used different thicknesses since I didn't know what works. I ended up using a 1mm thick silicon rubber with a hardness of 60 shore. I used a hole punch to punch them out, then a pen to punch out a small hole in the middle. I used a knife to make a slit from the small midlle hole to the outside to be able to get it around the rubber bumpers where the glove door presses against. The result is that the rubber bumbers are now approx. 1mm further out and put pressure on the locks. The rattle is gone. I am sure you can use other materials as well, maybe some thin felt or similar
I just added some pics on what the dealership did and what I did. The Sonata is such a beautiful and well engineered car and then they fix it with some uggly tape, I sure was disappointed.

[attachment=20255:Rattle_1.JPG]
[attachment=20256:Rattle_1_2.JPG]
[attachment=20257:Rattle_2.JPG]
[attachment=20258:Rattle_3.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wow Schagrb, great job. Hyundai's fix looked terrible. I absolutely love the ingenuity of some of the people on this forum. There was another thread where a poster fixed the sunglass holder problem with a couple of playing cards. I think Hyundai should look here for answers to problems first.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine didn't respond to increasing the "bumpers". Did respond to a simpler fix. At Home Depot, got a package of the stick-on felt dots for cabinet doors. Place a couple on each side of the glovebox opening at the very top where the last part of the GB door comes towards the sides.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Oct 18 2010, 04:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364300
started to get some rattle so I just removed the 10 lb owners manual and put it in the trunk.
I guess that the reason they call it a glove box and not an oversized manual box. My manual is moving to the trunk tormorrow. Thanks to all for the detailed info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts