Hyundai Forums banner

Ghetto Nav Installed (2011 Sonata Se)

13K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  vtfijigraphix 
#1 ·
I decided to add navigation to my SE. Im not happy with the BeatSonic Dash kit as it has a cheap feel to it. The fit isnt as good as I was hoping but I'll keep my eye open for another option.
I ended up using a Magellan Roadmate 1700. It is a 7 in touch screen navi that has a A/V input. This allows to connect a backup camera, dvd, etc... I have the USB and AV cables running into the glove compartment bay for now. Once I find the backup camera I want Ill hook that up and add to this post. The USB cable is so I can connect to the NAVI via my laptop and perform map updates. Another feature with this NAVI is that it comes on with the car and goes off with the car. Below are the parts to the makeup.

Roadmate 1700

[attachment=21716:Magellan...te1700_2.jpg]

BeatSonic Double Din Dash Kit

[attachment=21717:son_11b6.jpg]

Actual Pic's

[attachment=21718:CIMG0034.JPG]
[attachment=21719:CIMG0033.JPG]

I suck at videos but here is my attempt to make one.

Youtube Video of Install

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks really good. Very good job on the install. I think you just saved me $2,600 bucks, I'm looking into buying a Sonata and Im having a though time deciding on the Nav System. I thing I might just go with your idea. Let us know when you get the Camera installed..... and.... the video looks good too.

#8 ·
Looks nice.

Why specifically do you not like the dash kit? Is the fit and finish poor? Does the quality of the material not match the factory pieces which came out?

I am also curious to hear how well the gps works installed back into the dash as far as GPS reception.

I would consider doing this to my non nav SE since with ebay/amazon for the unit and the kit the whole thing could be done for a few hundred dollars.

#9 ·
I am seriously impressed with your ingenuity. Also the fitment of the unit is spot on!

I have a couple questions though...

What is under the A/C controls? I mean is the underside of the A/C controls a finished surface now that the pocket is removed?

Also, I've had problems before getting a backup camera to work with a 7" Magellan unit, mainly the video signal if I can remember correctly. Something about how it needs to see a PAL signal and most backup cameras are NTSC or vice versa. Might just want to be something you research a bit beforehand because I did have issues.

Makes me think about doing it, but A: my radio is different (limited w/o nav) so I'd have to check to see if they have a kit for it and B: not sure I wanna lose that awesome pocket yet! Although I only use it for my sunglasses...

#17 ·
What did you use for a trim rim around the nav unit? Did you cut some ABS or use something else along those lines? It would be nice if it just fit in there naturally perfect but I am guessing you had to do some work.

Also, how did you secure the unit in there? Did you use some backstrap and rig something up?

I am considering this although if you say you dont love the fit of the beatsonik I may way until a more reputable company makes a kit although who knows when that could be. I have a car audio installation background so thought about making a paint matched fibreglass trim around the nav unit but it all it needs to look good is something basic and simple thats even better.

#19 ·
...and now I'm upset that this totally wouldn't work for my car.

If you have a limited or other with the OTHER style stock radio, adding a dash kit like this would get rid of the stock radio screen. So the radio would still work, you just wouldn't be able to see what you're listening to at all. ****.

#20 ·
QUOTE (Iceberg802 @ Dec 13 2010, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379380
...and now I'm upset that this totally wouldn't work for my car.

If you have a limited or other with the OTHER style stock radio, adding a dash kit like this would get rid of the stock radio screen. So the radio would still work, you just wouldn't be able to see what you're listening to at all. ****.
iceberg....i'm surprised at you...with all your other 'inventions' and such....change out the radio to the stock gls/se unit! :thumbsup: sounds as if the magellan unit will return bluetooth. may lose the HD radio (which i personally enjoy).

#21 ·
QUOTE (fear24 @ Dec 13 2010, 03:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379382
iceberg....i'm surprised at you...with all your other 'inventions' and such....change out the radio to the stock gls/se unit! :thumbsup: sounds as if the magellan unit will return bluetooth. may lose the HD radio (which i personally enjoy).
Of course! I'm just waiting for an iPad app that will control my A/C as well.... :innocent: haha

#22 ·
The only thing that I don't like is the trim on the sides. I don't like the gloss black and since it is different from the original you can never get aftermarket dash kits.

#23 ·
did you use double sided tape to attached it to the frame dash kit ? and I assume you are using the poweroutlet from the center cash next to the usb right? the audio directions from the navi will still be coming out of the navi unit itself and not the oem speakers right....assuming it is completely independent of the oem headunit.

the reverse camera when hooked up will not come on automatic when you pop it in reverse right ? or is there a way to do that ?

#24 ·
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Dec 13 2010, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379572
did you use double sided tape to attached it to the frame dash kit ? and I assume you are using the poweroutlet from the center cash next to the usb right? the audio directions from the navi will still be coming out of the navi unit itself and not the oem speakers right....assuming it is completely independent of the oem headunit.

the reverse camera when hooked up will not come on automatic when you pop it in reverse right ? or is there a way to do that ?
Not my install but I can answer this. He likely did not use the power outlet in the car. He probably found the accessory wire of his radio stack as well as a solid ground and "hard wired" it into the car behind the dash.

As for reverse camera there are a few options. You can use a reverse sense wire or you can simply power the camera with a relay triggered off the backup lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.