Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our Getz from 2006 have started making banging sounds from the rear end. A few time it occured when using the brakes or handbrake, but it can also occur suddenly without any reason. The sound is like as a stone is attached to the wheel colliding with a bar somewhere.

The right rear wheel might remain stucked until reversed a little or it might stop banging by itself. Also the wheel might become hot. When banging you might feel brake pedal vibrating as the ABS was working, also the hand brake pedal might vibrate. But usually you can use the brakes without starting the banging sound.

Opening the drum no brake failure is noticed. The hand brakes wire moves freely and is not stucked. The same thing is with the pistons in the brake cylinder. No spring is broken and no loose parts are found in the drum. Brake shoes moves also and are not heavily worn. No ABS light comes on. The wheel bearing feels OK and makes no extra noise.

When banging you can feel the car loosing its speed.

Is it the brakes, ABS failure, wheel bearing or something else that causes the banging sound?

·
Registered
85 Posts
"The right rear wheel might remain stucked until reversed a little or it might stop banging by itself. Also the wheel might become hot." The brakes are binding, take them out clean the brakes and back plate, grease the shoes an springs and re-assemble. You will also need to check the brake drum for heating damage (Colour) and make sure it is still round and it hasn't warped

The banging could be a stone, brake dust (normally squeals though) or movement of shoes, springs or other internal component.

If in doubt completely over haul both sides.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
........If in doubt completely over haul both sides.
You are right!

The second time I opened the right rear drum I grinded the drum and the brake shoes just in case. It did not help, but the car then turned to the right when braking. So I had to make the same presidies at left rear brake.

Well, here I found a problem! The brake material at one brake shoe was loose, and only a part of it was remaining in the drum. Now the car have new brake shoes at both sides and after 100 km the banging sound have not occured. The car also goes straight when braking.

I checked with my wife and the locked wheel was at right side, although a failure was found at left side. The banging sound I can understand with the loose brake material at left side.

Propebly the loose material at left side affected the hand brake level in brake drum locking the hand brake at right wheel. With only one working brake shoe at the left wheel it was still turning.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You are right!

The second time I opened the right rear drum I grinded the drum and the brake shoes just in case. It did not help, but the car then turned to the right when braking. So I had to make the same presidies at left rear brake.

Well, here I found a problem! The brake material at one brake shoe was loose, and only a part of it was remaining in the drum. Now the car have new brake shoes at both sides and after 100 km the banging sound have not occured. The car also goes straight when braking.

I checked with my wife and the locked wheel was at right side, although a failure was found at left side. The banging sound I can understand with the loose brake material at left side.

Propebly the loose material at left side affected the hand brake level in brake drum locking the hand brake at right wheel. With only one working brake shoe at the left wheel it was still turning.
Pleased you sorted it, well done

1 - 4 of 4 Posts