Hyundai Forums banner

Getz crtdi 1.5 2004 - random ABS dash light

6K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  getzej54 
#1 ·
Not my first post here – I think that my registered email is now an old one and not in use.
So, random ABS light on our Getz.
Failed it’s MOT as the light didn’t go out! ABS system works though.
The light itself is totally random, it can flicker, be different brightnesses, when on the indicators make it flash too.
It was off for 2 days and then back on.
There are no error codes stored when tested at the MOT centre or my local garage.
Cleaned and re-seated the ABS module, checked as many earth connections as I can find, even pulled the dash out to check for wiring there – still the same.
With ignition on (not engine running) it’s the same.
My wife says “the garage have to fix it, it’s their job”! at which point I’ve told her that it might just not happen.
Could a faulty ABS / speed sensor still not register codes?

#3 ·
With ignition on (not engine running) it’s the same.
What about if you disconnect the ABS module? Does the light still flicker or whatever it's doing when the module is unplugged?
The warning light isn't switched on by the ABS module when there is a fault. It's switched off by the module when there isn't one, so the light should be on with the module unplugged. And if the light still flickers or whatever when the module is unplugged you know it's not a fault with the ABS system. The ABS can't effect the light if it's not connected.

#5 ·
What about if you disconnect the ABS module? Does the light still flicker or whatever it's doing when the module is unplugged?
The warning light isn't switched on by the ABS module when there is a fault. It's switched off by the module when there isn't one, so the light should be on with the module unplugged. And if the light still flickers or whatever when the module is unplugged you know it's not a fault with the ABS system. The ABS can't effect the light if it's not connected.
i'll remove the battery and airbox (again) then disconnector the ABS module and see what giveson the dashboard. but as above not always a solid orange. i thin kit's a duff sensor wire or similar.

#9 ·
Seems the problem is within the ABS module then. Very odd that the indicators effect the ABS warning light. I was expecting you to say the fault was still there with the module unplugged.

When was you car last at a Hyundai dealer? I was a tech with Hyundai back in 2004 and there was a big recall on the Getz relating to the ABS module grounds. It's a long shot but it might be worth giving your local dealer a call to see if your car is effected.

#11 ·
Sounds like your has had the recall done already then.

The light should be on with the module unplugged. As I said before, the module doesn't actually switch the light on. It's on by default. The module switches the light off by grounding the light control wire if there are no faults. I was having a wee think about it and there might be a loose connection or resistance in the warning light control wire which is causing the flickering. What I would do in this case is disconnect the module and link the warning light control wire to ground (link terminals 15 & 20....see below). That should switch the light off. If it flickers when the control wire is grounded and the module is unplugged then you at least know it's not the module that is causing the problem.

#12 ·
I'll give it a go tomorrow night when I get it in.
So we are agreed with the module unplugged the light is on?
On the plug connector with the smaller contacts the holes appear to be blocked as I can't see the contacts- is this normal?
There was some sort of purple covering over most of it which I presume is to stop water getting in?
Thanks for your help

#13 ·
So we are agreed with the module unplugged the light is on?
Yes.

getzej54 said:
On the plug connector with the smaller contacts the holes appear to be blocked as I can't see the contacts- is this normal?
Yes. The holes are just very small so you can't see the terminals. Don't push anything thicker than the module connector pins into the holes or you might damage the terminals. Use a thin pin or maybe a straightened out paper clip to probe the connector then attach your wire to the pin.

getzej54 said:
There was some sort of purple covering over most of it which I presume is to stop water getting in?
Silicone grease perhaps? Part of that recall was to smear silicone grease over the ABS module connector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.