Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the ignition timing advance and retard when there is no distributor ?

Back in the day I would have stripped down the distributor and freed up the weights and / or replaced the vacumn diaphram.

There are no fault codes and the engine is running perfectly without any load.

As already said ... back in the day it would have been a distributor overhaul ... 30 minutes including a tea break :)

Today I am totally stumped ... as is my local garage :(

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,099 Posts
These days spark timing is electronically controlled by the engine computer. There isn't any adjustment.

Poor running under load is often caused by HT leaking through the insulation of the ignition coil and/or HT leads. You could try to induce the fault at idle by spraying a mist of water over the ignition coil and leads. Also, you can often see little sparks jumping from the ignition components to the engine block if you look carefully in the dark while blipping the throttle to put the engine under load.

When was the last time the plugs where replaced?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

Plugs have only just been changed and I am 99.9% certain there is nothing wrong with the HT

So ... looks like a brain transplant

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
So we can assume it misses under load? I agree you need to have a look at the coil packs (and leads if it has them) for insulation breakdown. Have a good look at the tubes that fit over the plugs for small pinholes. I remember back in the old days a mechanic was a miracle worker when the car stumbled in so you put a new set of points/plugs a little drop of oil and a dab of grease and it then ran as good as new. Now they are looked upon as a thief because it costs so much to replace the parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So we can assume it misses under load?
NO ... the engine is running sweet as a nut ... Just no umph

Struggles to get up a hill
Struggles away from the lights
Definately running on all four and on the open FLAT road 80+

Just a strain getting there

Everything points to no advance and retard ... In my opinion !

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Bad or faulty electrical connections can give the same symptoms
Once had a miss on one cylinder
Turned out to be a bad ground

Anyway, just a big guess

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
NO ... the engine is running sweet as a nut ... Just no umph

Struggles to get up a hill
Struggles away from the lights
Definately running on all four and on the open FLAT road 80+

Just a strain getting there

Everything points to no advance and retard ... In my opinion !
These all sounds like the symptoms of.....the car only having a wee 65HP engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never thought I would be pleased to see the Engine Management light come on ... IT DID !!!

Checked the code P0303 ... H'mmm ... "Misfire Detected in #3 Cylinder" https://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0303

Now why did nobody I paid good money to pick that up ?

To save trips decided on a set of plugs AND leads praying I wouldn't be back for a coil pack

Jobs a good'un :)

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
Checked the code P0303 ... decided on a set of plugs AND leads praying I wouldn't be back for a coil pack ... Jobs a good'un :)
So it was an HT fault after all. Bet your glad you held off on the brain transplant :smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had the misfortune to drive my daughters 1.25 Fiesta the other day ... Made my Getz look like an invalid by comparission ... something is still not right :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts