Hyundai Forums banner

Getting windshield replaced - any details I should know?

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  NicholasD 
#1 ·
A rock hit my windshield and created a crack that runs halfway across the glass. My insurance is sending out Safelite to replace it. I believe they'll be using Fuyao glass, which is the factory supplier.

Is there anything special when it comes to windshield replacement on the Value Edition Elantra? I understand there's a condensation sensor up top near the rearview mirror to watch out for. Other stuff I should keep an eye on when Safelite comes?

#2 ·
I trust Safelite, been dealing with them for years, and the only glass company around here that could replace the windshield on my 88 Supra and motorhome.

For cars, the motorhome won't fit, clear out my garage and let them work in a warm enclosed area rather than outside or in the rain.

Probably shoudn't say this, with some if insurance is paying for it, bill could be $476.00, but without insurance with my kids cars, more like $153.00 cash.

Could offer them a coke or or coffee, but best to stay out of their way. One guy did such a great job on one car, gave him a ten buck tip, said have lunch on me, thought he was going to have a heart attack, first tip ever.

#3 ·
Oh, I don't have the tools to do a job like this, in particular that gun for putting that seal around the inside of the glass. Passenger windows, been doing that myself, kid would leave a jacket in her car at college, window would be broken so someone would steal it.

#4 ·
their work is garenteed. you should ask what's going to become of your inspection and emmisions. in the past the glass place i use took the old stickers off and just put them on the new windshield. this time they cut a chunk of the windsield off with the stickers and told me i just have to take it to any inspection station and show them the piece and the papers for the windshield and just buy the stickers. well guess what. i went to a handfull of places and called my dealer that i get some work done and nobody would do it.they all wanted and appointment and reinspection even though i had 8 months left. the one guy at kost said they really could do it when the boss walked away. i ended heating it up and scraping it off with a razor and putting it on myself.

#7 ·
Live in an area where no window stickers are required so forgot all about stickers. But this was not the case when I was in the military so people would know I was a baby killer, or an extra tax in certain cities, not only license plates, but a sticker for each vehicle, the emission stickers, really a rip off in some areas where they just slap a scanner on you diagnostic plug, no codes, but charge you a small fortune.

And always find something else wrong on your vehicle that will cause you death if you don't know anything about vehicles.

#9 ·
Hopefully you have better luck with Safelite than I did. When they replaced the windshield on my Grand Caravan the technician broke the driver's side washer squirter head when they pulled the wiper arms off, didn't tell me, and of course I didn't see it until a week later. Then they refused to replace the windshield on my Chevy van "due to rust holes and evidence of silicone sealer around the windshield frame." Had the van towed from their shop to a local body shop who confirmed Safelite was full of crap and had a local glass shop replace the windshield.

#13 ·
Recall one time about 30 years ago, sent a kid that made a mess with one of my cars, called the company up, manager came with his top guy, completely cleaned up the mess, had to replace all the trim with new, and made the car look like new again.

If you notice on this new stuff no more trim on windshields, just the sealant holds them in.

So if you get a bad job do you just complain to everybody about it, or deal with the company?

#14 ·
So, the new Fuyao FW4352 windshield's been installed. I let the car sit overnight even though the tech said I could safely drive it in an hour, Went on a test drive the next morning and noticed a few things:

- Above 60 mph, there's more road/wind noise across the top of the windshield. It isn't terrible but definitely wasn't there with the original glass. I watched the tech during the install and he took his time prepping and laying down the urethane. The rubber molding also appears to be properly attached around the perimeter of the glass, so this unfortunately might just be the nature of the thinner aftermarket glass. Guess Fuyao OEM quality =/= their aftermarket quality.

- I had the A/C running and then randomly, it switched full blast to the auto defogger setting. It was a clear, sunny day so there was no reason for this to happen, and has never happened before. I noticed the tech had re-attached my EZPass much higher, right on the dot matrix pattern next to the condensation sensor. After I got home, I moved it lower to it's original location, restarted the car and the A/C was working normally again. The condensation sensor & rear view mirror appear to be firmly connected, so I'm just hoping the EZPass being so high up was throwing off the sensor.

- The washer nozzles shoot fluid too high now. The cowl and fluid lines had to come off as part of the installation but everything looks to be properly back in place. From what I can tell, the nozzles can't be adjusted by inserting a pin so IDK what happened here.

One plus is that I don't see any distortion, which is a common complaint with aftermarket glass. Barring any water leaks, I'll probably just live with this windshield & the extra road noise rather than calling Safelite again and possibly getting a sloppy tech and/or defective glass.

Moral of the story: To be fully happy, get an OE windshield with the Hyundai logo.

#15 ·
Also had bad service from Safelite. Had a small starburst chip in my windshield that my insurance co had them come out to "fix". The tech promptly caused a major crack making my car undriveable (due obstruction of driver's vision). My E Limited has the tech package (lane keep assist, etc.) which Safelite knew when they sent the tech who cracked my WS. Suffered a HUGE time consuming run around from Safelite, including multiple mis-statements and them cancelling appointments on me. Ultimately I complained to my insurance co which eventually agreed to let me get my WS replaced at the dealer IF I payed the cost difference. That was WELL worth the $$. I will NEVER deal with Safelite again!

#17 ·
Hello, on the topic of windshields, we have a 2017 Elantra and in cooler weather when going over bumps, i guess the car is twisting a little, you can hear like a scratching sound coming from the windshield area, Like I said not there when above maybe 50 degrees or so. Original windshield. Does that sound like a windshield installation issue to you?

thanks

#18 ·
It is often very difficult to determine where a sound is coming from inside a vehicle. There are so many strange angles, that the sound can be bouncing off the windshield area, but coming from someplace else.

#19 ·
OE windshield is 0.223" thick, sound thin to me, how thick is your replacement.

If I had problems like you are having, wouldn't post them on the board but will go back to the vendor with your concerns. Not sure about your insurance company, I have the choice to stick with OEM. And will make a point of it.

Wisconsin has a law, all dump trucks must cover their contents, like rocks to prevent problem like yours. But very few follow that law, and if you are traveling east on a two lane road, and one of these #$^&%@ is going west with rocks flying all over the place, not a darn thing you can do about it.

Did make a U-turn once, did not get a speeding ticket, did get the plate number, but was my word against his, no witnesses, waste of my time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.