Hyundai Forums banner

Getting totally screwed.....long story

8K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Bearcats 
#1 ·
So, I bring my Hyundai into the dealer because the turbo was making a noise. I also had to get a window switch fixed and their was a recall. I explain to the guy at the desk that the car was making a whistling / whining sound and that it seemed to lack power. I told them it made this sound even just driving down the road at 15-20MPH, but on the highway it was alot more audible. Flash ahead to the end of the day and I go to pick my car up and they tell me the car was down 3 quarts of oil. I found this odd. I asked about the noise and they said it was the turbo spoiling up. I told them that the turbo doesn't spoil up at 15-20 MPH and that the car hadn't ever made the sound before. I asked if the lack of oil, lack of power and the sound were of concern and I was told no. So, on my merry way I go. Then about 2 weeks later, the turbo blows up. Well, it seemed to any way and the car went into limp mode. Went back to the same dealer and they said they would look at the car. There was sludge in the engine and they asked for my oil change records and I provided them with dates and mileage of when the oil was changed. The said that wasn't enough and denied any warranty claim. They also informed me that there may be metal in my engine from when the turbo decided to "Blow up". They told me the claim was denied because of lack of maintenance on my car since their was sludge found. Now, I had an issue with my turbo within the first year of owning the car and they fixed it no problem. They also told me that sludge is from lack of maintenance, but I also found out that if the car is running hot it will burn oil and that will produce sludge. I'm sure some people on here can set me straight because I can gurantee you that the oil was changed. I did provide them with a reciept to alocal place from May that showed the car had 36k+ miles on it whe it was changed. I did the other 2 changes in between where it sits now at 48K.

So, not only do they deny the warranty coverage on my turbo, they don't even seem like they want to help me fix the engine issue which is a direct cause of them misdiagnosing the turbo issue. So instead of a $1000 fix (used turbo), I now possibly have metal in my engine.

So, I ask about trading the car in and they said the car is worth about 6K as is. So, obviously that scenario isn't going to work.

They suggested I get a new turbo and have the engine flushed for a cost of $3500. Again, much more expensive than if they had diagnosed my issue sooner as they should have based on all the info I gave them. But, even after that they expect me to live with a car that might have issues.

I even asked them that once it was fluched and used turbo put on, if they would take it in trade. They said they would be worried about further issues, but apparently it's OK for them to offer this fix to me and I should be OK with it.

Now, I have found used engines online, bu the cost is about 5K and the dealer doesn't even seem like they want to even waive the labor charges. But again, 5K is way more expensive than the 1K had the car been diagnosed earlier.

I would really love to hear from some folks on here about how you would handle this situation.

See less See more
#2 ·
Low oil most likely led to the turbo failure, they spin to over 100,000 RPM and generate tons of heat. Starving the engine and turbo of oil will make just about any engine seize. 3 quarts low (or 60% low) could point to a poor maintenance history. Sludge tends to point to low quality oil and infrequent changes. I don't want to pile on because this already weighs on you, I am just listing facts.

What to do, if you have the proof the maintenance was completed as scheduled then maybe lawyer up. It is stupid but sometimes they listen to those guys. Keep us posted please.

Reactions: himilcyclr
#3 ·
A reputable technician should have been able to diagnose turbo howl. Its a very distinctive sound. My previous girlfriends father torched a 91 Laser RS because he didn't take care of it (to cheap to do routine oil changes). His was coking on the turbine blade.

Depending on how long it has been burning oil and had low level will burn out a bearing or create enough ash build up on the blades of the turbo to cause failure. To get to three quarts low indicates incorrect maint and might be noted on your previous service.

While I agree you should have been given a better diagnosis which would have been cheaper at the time; it would have still rolled around to why was it 3qts low and how long did it run that way?

And I would not have that dealer replace/fix/flush or do anything unless they give you a deal on labor or something. Have it towed to a trusted place. And there should be no metal in the engine unless the turbine shattered, fractured or broke a fin in some manner. The only way to tell that is to pull the blade assembly out and have it inspected.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Somebody else here recently had their engine run out of oil (also had sludge). Is there any leaks anywhere? Have you checked your oil pan seal? They are known to leak, mine is right now.

#5 · (Edited)
My condolences to the OP.

Lots of good advice in here from 2.0 and Bearcats

Make sure to get that second non-biased opinion.

Unfortunately, I do believe the scales are not going to tip in your favor as the evidence does point to owner neglect. 3 qts low is pretty critical (I freaked out when I was a half qt low and found out my oil pan was leaking). Just playing devil's advocate, I would question why you did not follow up with your dealer when the car was still using oil or not press the dealer harder when they did not find anything wrong at your previous visit.

As far as a remedy, you are going to have to spend some $$. Either on repairs or for a lawyer. If you decide to repair the car out of pocket, you may be able to cut your losses if you search out the parts yourself and find an independent shop to do the work. Dealers are always the most expensive for major work. And the quality is usually the same if not worse than a good independent guy.

I would under no circumstances deal with the dealer who originally diagnosed your car. Don't even talk to them at this point because that builds more evidence against your warranty case with Hyundai. Get Hyundai Corp involved NOW if you have the visit records from your prior service visit. They will really want to know why that dealer could find nothing wrong when you had specific complaints about the howling.

Lawyer should be a last resort because you have little evidence to support you at this point. Would be wasted money for nothing. But do some side research to see if anyone in your town takes these cases...a quick phone call should suffice.

Again best of luck sir!

#7 ·
"Just playing devil's advocate, I would question why you did not follow up with your dealer when the car was still using oil or not press the dealer harder when they did not find anything wrong at your previous visit."

When I took my car back I did questions their finding that the car was OK. They said the sound I heard was the turbo spoiling up. But, I'm no mechanic and as far as I was told the car was fine and had no issues. Even the low oil wasn't a concern.

#8 ·
Just a very short thing from me, and others can expand:
Only Hyundai, themselves, can deny a warranty. A dealer cannot. They are the middle man between you and Hyundai. The of it like Hyundai is the judge and the dealer is a prosecutor. Only the judge can say guilty.

You can try another dealer, as well.

Most vehicles tend to actually run fine when low on oil ( while not perfectly ), it will typically not have a catastrophic while low. Likely it was an effect of something, not a cause.

Fight.

#9 ·
Understood.

Again, I'm just trying to get into your thought process here. No criticism at all.

Like I posted previously, you really need to get a case open with Hyundai Corporate.

edit: +1 to destro. Dealer is punching way above their weight and is not the final word.

#11 ·
Hyundai corporate told me that they will not cover the warranty. I did explain to them that I'm OK wit that, but not the misssed diagnosis that caused a much larger issue.

I've done oil change in all my previous cars with no issues. This is the first car I've had an issue with and I don't know why.

I will contact Hyundai corporate again.

#13 ·
I have a receipt for the oil change at a local place before I went on a trip in May and the car was at 36K miles. I did the next 2 changes and have receipts for the oil, but not the filters. I have receipts for 4 filters I bought in March on sale.

#15 ·
Well I was trying to be optimistic but this is truly an uphill fight. At this point, I would say you are SOL on warranty.

Corp may be of assistance in negotiating some of the cost away. Let them know how the experience has soured you on the brand and that you have no problem taking this issue to the court of public opinion.

Looking at your join date, I am guessing you are the original owner. This may or may not help the issue.

Otherwise, I would get on the internet and start looking at used engines. I am seeing low mileage 2.0s up on eBay for $2500 going up

#17 ·
Sounds like you had some oil starvation going on. Dip they top it off after the first visit?? Get in the habit of checking the oil level every other time you fill up the gas tank. Check level after getting it changed as well.

#25 · (Edited)
Because I use Mobil 1 oil and a premium oil filter too, all for the same or lower cost. I buy a 5 quart jug of oil, I make sure the all the oil is out of the jug before I replace the oil cap. I make sure the oil filter gets replaced and properly oil soaked before installation. I also check all my fluid level ever few weeks to make there are full. The service techs are dealerships that just replace oil are not factory trained and certified technicians. There are several posts on this forum and all other car forums that say the tech forgot to replace the oil after they drained the old oil out.

#30 ·
it was alot more audible. Flash ahead to the end of the day and I go to pick my car up and they tell me the car was down 3 quarts of oil.
This may be a very stupid question but didn't a Low Oil Pressure Warning Light come on? Recently I lost 10 PSI of air in one of my tires because there was a sharp piece of plastic embedded in the tire and a Low Tire Pressure indicator came on.

#33 ·
2.0 터보;1815634 said:
Low oil most likely led to the turbo failure, they spin to over 100,000 RPM and generate tons of heat. Starving the engine and turbo of oil will make just about any engine seize. 3 quarts low (or 60% low) could point to a poor maintenance history. Sludge tends to point to low quality oil and infrequent changes. I don't want to pile on because this already weighs on you, I am just listing facts.

What to do, if you have the proof the maintenance was completed as scheduled then maybe lawyer up. It is stupid but sometimes they listen to those guys. Keep us posted please.

Is there an Oil that prevents sludge?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.