Hyundai Forums banner

Which engine is more reliable?

• 2.5 Smartstream 8-speed traditional transmission

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • 1.6 T-GDi Smartstream 7-speed DCT dry clutch (non-hybrid)

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Cayenne S | 955
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided on the new car I will be getting in the coming days. There is 2 options for the Smartstream engines
which is the better choice 1.6 Turbo or 2.5 ? (2022)
It was shipped from the European Hyundai factory it seems you have the choice of the 2 engine for your N line..
I would prefer the more reliable engine, if one is more well known than the other

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Surprised you have the option of the 2.5, thought that was for American built ones only. Note that its not just a different engine, its a different transmission. The 1.6T uses a 7-speed DCT dry clutch, the 2.5 a 8-speed traditional automatic (at least for US market), so for that reason alone I'd pick the 2.5. Also make sure you aren't talking about the 1.6T hybrid, that one comes with a 6-speed traditional automatic, and overall is better performance than the 2.5.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I was looking the N-Line here in the UK didn't come with the hybrid so I went with an Ultimate Spec Hybrid with the tech pack as it was so nice to drive and the hybrid element really plugged the torque gap nicely being used to a powerful diesel.

·
Registered
Cayenne S | 955
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprised you have the option of the 2.5, thought that was for American built ones only. Note that its not just a different engine, its a different transmission. The 1.6T uses a 7-speed DCT dry clutch, the 2.5 a 8-speed traditional automatic (at least for US market), so for that reason alone I'd pick the 2.5. Also make sure you aren't talking about the 1.6T hybrid, that one comes with a 6-speed traditional automatic, and overall is better performance than the 2.5.
No it is not a hybrid, and what you stated is correct, the 1.6T comes with a a 7-speed DCT dry clutch.

The 1.6T is a gem I read somewhere, and it also won the Wards 10 Best Engines and Propulsion Systems list
the 2.5 on the the other hand I read there was a serious issue with these new engines having "high compression ratio ", but that is in Korea.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No it is not a hybrid, and what you stated is correct, the 1.6T comes with a a 7-speed DCT dry clutch.

The 1.6T is a gem I read somewhere, and it also won the Wards 10 Best Engines and Propulsion Systems list
the 2.5 on the the other hand I read there was a serious issue with these new engines having "high compression ratio ", but that is in Korea.
The 7-speed has been reported by many to not be as smooth, and being a dry clutch it doesn't tolerate abuse like lots of slipping the clutch at speeds just slow enough to not fully engage first gear, like creeping in stop and go traffic or on rough terrain. Traditional 8-speed with torque converter would be smoother and typically more reliable/robust.

High compression ratio is a good thing, not bad, makes it more efficient. The 2.5 is a brand new engine, so while it has all the latest technology, they haven't been out long enough for anyone to vouch for their reliability. Its predecessor the old 2.4 is the one that had questionable reliability.

·
Registered
Cayenne S | 955
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
High compression ratio is a good thing, not bad, makes it more efficient. The 2.5 is a brand new engine, so while it has all the latest technology, they haven't been out long enough for anyone to vouch for their reliability. Its predecessor the old 2.4 is the one that had questionable reliability.
I forgot to mention I live in an area with temperatures exceeding 50°c / 112°f in the summer, also it is not that important for me if the car is fuel efficient or not, I just want the engine that would vision a longer life.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Naturally aspirated engines do better at lower altitudes and higher temperatures. Turbocharged does better at higher altitudes (negates the thinner air) and lower temperatures (intercooler works better). Dry clutches are also less heat resistant than that traditional wet automatic, so IMO seems like 2.5 is the way to go in the desert.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited Hybrid, Quartz White
60 Posts
My 2016 Tucson had the 1.6T with the DCT. And while the engine was very reliable and trouble free, the transmission basically sucked, especially in low speed situations. Pulling into the garage at a slow speed would cause the transmission to shudder. Stop and go traffic would sometimes confuse the transmission to the point of delayed engagement. Not good. But I still loved the car overall. When I traded it in for the hybrid I was thrilled that the new Tucson came with a standard automatic transmission and not a DCT or CVT.

·
Registered
Cayenne S | 955
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I had the option of a Hybrid model/Limited model but the dealer only have bare-bones models available.
It's like you want the car with no options at all or the N line with nearly all the options (excluding the 360 camera) which is a shame. also I would like to add that I do not like the sporty interior.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yep I have a 2015 Sonata Eco with the dry DCT 7 speed and I would not recommend it, espeically if you get into a fair amount of low speed stop and go situations. The car even came with a warning card in a slot in the sun visor warning you about overheating the clutch. Its also just plain quirky, shuddering here and there. So stay away from that transmission

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited in Deep Sea
179 Posts
My 2016 Tucson had the 1.6T with the DCT. And while the engine was very reliable and trouble free, the transmission basically sucked, especially in low speed situations. Pulling into the garage at a slow speed would cause the transmission to shudder. Stop and go traffic would sometimes confuse the transmission to the point of delayed engagement. Not good. But I still loved the car overall. When I traded it in for the hybrid I was thrilled that the new Tucson came with a standard automatic transmission and not a DCT or CVT.
I see you have the quartz white exterior Hybrid and i am looking to buy one as well. can i trouble you for a few exterior and interior shots? and also a review of the color and why u chose it? thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep I have a 2015 Sonata Eco with the dry DCT 7 speed and I would not recommend it, espeically if you get into a fair amount of low speed stop and go situations. The car even came with a warning card in a slot in the sun visor warning you about overheating the clutch. Its also just plain quirky, shuddering here and there. So stay away from that transmission
I had a 2012 Ford Focus with a DCT (a.k.a. Powershift) transmission in it, and it acted the same way. It would also hesitate to engage when starting out from a dead stop by as much as 3-seconds which made pulling out into heavy traffic an unpredictable and hair raising experience. These transmissions were failing for a lot of people, and many were having to wait up to 8-months to get a replacement. Even some of the replacements were failing.

I got rid of the car after just over a year after buying it new, and won't even consider a vehicle with a DCT in it.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Never a turbo engine from S. Korea. Easy Poll to decide here.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hate to say it but I'm sure the quality control over there is better than it is here........Some people can drive DCT vehicles without an issue, others can't.....I'm one who has very minimal issues driving my '16 1.6T. Yes, sometimes it shudders while pulling slowly into the garage but I never had an issue merging into traffic or accelerating from a stop...If you can drive a manual, you should be able to master the Hyundai DCT.

·
Registered
Cayenne S | 955
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not Korea, my father drives a 13' 200 E class with small engine and turbo. it shudders at stop's and go's.
I had 2 previous cars with V8 engines, so it makes sense I went with the 2.5l.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts