Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am excited!!!!

I just had to share! But I do want to get an aftermarket in-dash navigation unit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Congrats on the new E! I bought mine about 3 weeks ago and love it! As far as the navigation unit... I know you said you are looking at an aftermarket one, but if you decide you want the factory Nav unit, let me know. I'm selling mine because I want to completely upgrade the sound system.

Congrats again on your new E.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Congrats!

It'll be 3 yrs for me this December, and still loving it!

·
22,793 Posts
:00000732: Welcome to the family. You're gonna love it. Congratulations.

Word of caution: New car, new feel, new view, new handling. Be very, very careful for the first few months. Acclimate yourself to the little nuances of the vehicle. How she turns, your mirror views- back and sides. Get a feel for the distance of the front nose and rear end from objects when parking. And, for gosh sakes, WATCH OUT for those concrete parking lot dividers, curbs, whatever they're called. that front and rear end is lower than you think!

A little prep work and caution on your part, will save you some serious discontent, later. :wink2:

PS I might add this little caveat: Park "way out there" in those store lots. Get an end spot if possible. It's Christmas shopping season and those other drivers have lots of things on their mind. Dinging your doors isn't one of them!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
End spots are good protection. I have been doing that for years. Also if no end is available, park by nice cars, not a clunker driven by someone who may not give a hoot about someone else's property.

And oh!...congrats on the ride.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Congrats! The best a advice I can give you is don't drive behind any semi truck especially the ones that haul rocks/dirt.:eek:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congrats! The best a advice I can give you is don't drive behind any semi truck especially the ones that haul rocks/dirt.:eek:

Your from L.A., best advice, don't drive in rush hour, I don't know how you do it, I dread driving in that city.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Unfortunately any hour is "rush hour" in L.A. I avoid most of it by going to work a 6:00am. Last week when it was raining in the morning I had some large black object smash right into my front end. I don't know what it was but it was 8-12 inches across. My hood area by the head light took the hit. Luckily I had on by hood bra. The bra had a gash in it that went all the way through. Amazingly no damage to the hood. Just some minor scrapes to the headlight and paint under the headlight. Buffed right out.

·
22,793 Posts
^ Tire carcass/separated sidewall or tread from a flat, or tractor-trailer? That's the usual culprit that fits that description. Not pretty. I have started increasing my following distance to allow me more reaction time when I see road debris up ahead. Don't always remember to do so if I'm in a hurry. Once of these days, the old habit is going to jump up and bite me in the posterior. And I'll call myself every name in the book when it happens.

·
22,793 Posts
I am excited!!!!

I just had to share! But I do want to get an aftermarket in-dash navigation unit.
This is "Day 3," on your Road to Nirvana. How are you two getting along in this new relationship?? :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry "Xquizyt" .. but in my hurried state to tell you how much I love my Elantra .. I forgot to say .. "Congratulations .. I'm sure you'll love it"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on your new Elantra!

Word of caution: ...Acclimate yourself to the... vehicle. [Get] a feel for the distance of the front nose and rear end from objects when parking. And, for gosh sakes, WATCH OUT for those concrete parking lot dividers, curbs, whatever they're called. that front and rear end is lower than you think!
I've only owned my 13 Elantra Limited for about 3 months, but am thoroughly enjoying my car. I'm sure you will love yours, too! OkieRich is so right with the above advice. My biggest adjustment coming from a Mazda Miata (besides not being able to see the hood) was that clearance on my left side was much less than I thought and clearance on the right much more than I thought. For the first month or so, I would invariably find my left side tires on or very near the the painted parking space lines.

Likewise, I tended to drive too far left of lane center. I ended up tilting the mirrors so that I could just see the lane stripes on either side to help myself get a reference on what the view out the windshield should look like when properly centered in a lane. Finally, after a few months I'm comfortable with judging distance on both sides.

Now, about parallel parking. Fancy 17" factory wheels + no sidewall cushioning = stress. For me anyway, lol.

Again, though, CONGRATS on your new Elantra! :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
^ Tire carcass/separated sidewall or tread from a flat, or tractor-trailer? That's the usual culprit that fits that description. Not pretty. I have started increasing my following distance to allow me more reaction time when I see road debris up ahead. Don't always remember to do so if I'm in a hurry. Once of these days, the old habit is going to jump up and bite me in the posterior. And I'll call myself every name in the book when it happens.
It looked like a piece of large sewer pipe or one of those green/black pots gardeners use for plants. It was dark and raining and came from the right lane into my lane and was bouncing up and down like it was just sizing up where to hit my E. No one was in front of me, I was in the fast lane of a 4 lane highway with no place to go left and a car to the right. Anyway a little buffing and some needle and thread to my bra and I'm good.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am loving it so far. I got gray on gray and I feel it is still too light. My previous car had black interior. Here in Houston the ramps to some parking lots can be very steep. I took the advise and used much caution.

Only downfall is that I need to build something for my little dog. These seats sit lower than my previous car and she has a hard time looking out the window.

·
22,793 Posts
Only downfall is that I need to build something for my little dog. These seats sit lower than my previous car and she has a hard time looking out the window.
Local fabric store? Foam rubber is offered in all kinds of thicknesses/shapes/configurations. You'll just need to buy or make a cover. Big fluffy pillow?

Point to consider: If your pet is unsecured and you have a collision at 50 MPH, your pet travels at that same 50 MPH until she/he is stopped by whatever they are thrown into or against. We put a harness on ours and belt her in when she's riding with us. She still has the limited freedom to move about a bit and see out of the window. But in a collision, she's secured by the belt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts