Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pic says it all. This was just after I filled up with my 3rd tank. Is this what everyone else is getting? I also just dumped the factory oil and changed over to Mobil 1 and oem filter. What a great car........

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
I saw 45 on my computer right after a fillup while I was on the highway, cruise control set to about 62.
It's pretty common if you drive at a steady speed on level ground.
The problem is it drops pretty fast in city driving.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's a moving target for many of us.

Hwy 280 here is a parking lot at times and typical short errands <5 miles (I'm retired) net me a 22.

If I go Hwy 119 some (+ Hwy 280) with only 3 lights over 9 miles I show in the 26 range.

Infrequent Interstate trips are obviously better. You're lucky to have the routing you do - enjoy the Sonata!

BTW, don't worry about the Picture size here but in MS Office Picture Mgr/Edit you can Compress pictures and there's a "for Web page" choice that knocks it down in size a bunch. FYI for other times if needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just did my first trip that I always do to work. I drove 42 miles from the NH seacoast to Boston airport which is mostly highway with the cruise at 75 and then a smaller route at 60 MPH with some stoplights and then about 45 with more stoplights.

I use cruise control steadily at all times I can safely do so and averaged 35.7 MPG. I reset it in my driveway and checked it when I got to the parking lot.

It was a smooth trip and obviously if there was traffic it would do much worse but I was very happy with it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Looks like a great readout. Add a fuelly account to your resume and it will show you the true mpg and cost.

·
Registered
424 Posts
this is what happens when u go straight from gas station to the freeway. It does not reflect the median MPG of the car.

in the real world unlike the boonies, there is such a thing as traffic.

real world mixed median mpg is about 25 mpg.

·
Registered
45 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Nov 23 2010, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=374335
this is what happens when u go straight from gas station to the freeway. It does not reflect the median MPG of the car.

in the real world unlike the boonies, there is such a thing as traffic.

real world mixed median mpg is about 25 mpg.
Depends on how you define real world and whos real world we are talking about.

In the example I gave I drove from my house to "work" and averaged 35 MPG. When I get back to my car I will drive the exact same route in reverse and likely see similar MPG +- a few. Once home I really do not go to far since I am gone all week every week on the road and the last thing I want to do is go anywhere. I have no reason to expect that I will see much less than 30 MPG between most driving I do.

Its all relative, if you do a mix of driving with stop lights and stop signs and traffic then yes, 25 MPG sounds about right. If you live in Nebraska and drive 45 with no stop signs 20 miles to work each way you may find that 36 MPG is the norm for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I missed the first fill up for Fuelly but have been doing well for the others. The car computer says that my running average is 32 MPG and I just took a trip (70 mph with a/c on - 35.5 mpg, and a/c off - 36.5 mpg). With the size of the tank, I can drive quite a distance.

·
Registered
424 Posts
if your average 34 mpg, then your always going at 65 mph with zero traffic and zero stop lights and stop signs.

QUOTE (tpabobsonata @ Nov 29 2010, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375578
I missed the first fill up for Fuelly but have been doing well for the others. The car computer says that my running average is 32 MPG and I just took a trip (70 mph with a/c on - 35.5 mpg, and a/c off - 36.5 mpg). With the size of the tank, I can drive quite a distance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I try my best to only use my car for work commutes and long trips, as once I get home we use my gf's car for in-town stuff. Still, because my commute is only about 7 miles highway each trip, the warm-up factor keeps me from getting optimum mileage. I hover around 30mpg for my daily driving over the first 6 months, which I guess is not bad since there is a slight change in elevation during my driving and the distances are so short. As for long trips, I just got back from driving to and from Vegas from the Inland Empire and I got around 33mpg overall as indicated from the pump (35 displayed), which I was pretty happy with since I was very disciplined in staying 65 the whole way and there were some pretty significant inclines going both ways. Vegas city mpg was of course a joke, first time driving there in this car and I already hate The Strip.

·
Registered
472 Posts
QUOTE (loknar @ Nov 29 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375590
I try my best to only use my car for work commutes and long trips, as once I get home we use my gf's car for in-town stuff. Still, because my commute is only about 7 miles highway each trip, the warm-up factor keeps me from getting optimum mileage. I hover around 30mpg for my daily driving over the first 6 months, which I guess is not bad since there is a slight change in elevation during my driving and the distances are so short. As for long trips, I just got back from driving to and from Vegas from the Inland Empire and I got around 33mpg overall as indicated from the pump (35 displayed), which I was pretty happy with since I was very disciplined in staying 65 the whole way and there were some pretty significant inclines going both ways. Vegas city mpg was of course a joke, first time driving there in this car and I already hate The Strip.

It's okay if you are only using the computer to compare from trip to trip but, the only way to reallycheck your mileage is by checking how many miles you drove by how many gallons of gas you took. I can tell you that the computer gage can be at least two miles to a gallon different than what the computer is telling.

I think we all are looking for that great mileage but we need to be realistic if we want to know the true mileage you are getting. If you take a trip right from the gas station the computer is fairly accurate but that's the only way.

In a trip that I just took 60% highway, 40% local I showed 33 miles to the gallon. When I calculated based on miles driven vs gallons of gas I got 32.4, pretty close. I think that's pretty good mileage if I don't say myself.

As we all know, there are many variables to getting grat gas mileage, the gas you use, how fast you are going and of course highway vs local driving and don't forget, jack rabbit starts.

In any case either way the car greats very good miles per gallon, better than what I am use to.

Good luck to all........

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was my understanding the gas mileage displayed is an average over the previous three fill-ups. Is this true or is it a real time calculation?

·
Registered
69 Posts
QUOTE (loknar @ Nov 29 2010, 06:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=375590
yeah exactly, I mentioned 33mpg from the pump and 35 from the computer, they are not identical but 33mpg is still pretty **** good. I got a fuelly account as well, mine's called "Silver Surfer".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts