Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2023 Racing Red Kona N
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on this forum know of a way to get into the trunk through the rear seats without being able to open the trunk?

My trunk is non functional and I have some stuff in there I need to grab out of it.

Registered
2023 Elantra Hybrid Limited
I think you might be able to get it to pop open, but it'll be a challenge. Here are two pictures from my Elantra, I would imagine the catch is very similar if not exactly the same in the Sonata. The first picture shows the latch, the second show bar that the latch grabs onto in the seat. The trickiest part is that these things go into the seat. But, if you are going to do it, you'll need to stick a strong wire, like a coat hanger down the back and then push the latch mechanism to the right as you face the seat. These are centered on the seat section. That black thing you see between the two chrome parts is shaped like a J sideways. The part to the right is what latches onto the bar in the other picture. Right now it's in the open position. If you can edge it to the right, you will be able to pull the seat forward. Don't push back on the seat as that will keep the long part of the J from moving toward you and thus keeping it locked. If you've unlocked a car door with a coathanger in the old days, you might be able to do this too. The latch is exactly in the center of the seat section.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gadget
Rectangle Grey Gas Tints and shades Font

Registered
11-14's had a mechanical key-lock, hard to find on the left...you had to get down low to see it. Mine never worked because of corrosion. :cautious:

Registered
2022 Hampton Grey Sonata NLine
Obvious ones but you鈥檝e tried key fob, dash button and inside the H how about the proximity with your foot? One last one while you push the rear seats have someone press the release do the same pulling at the seats the lock may be at the point that the latch is stuck due to pressure or being out of alignment

Registered
2023 Racing Red Kona N
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I should have expounded, My N-Line is toast(most definitely totaled), rear damage seized up the trunk.

The solution was: stick pry bar into section of trunk that had a minor gap. Pry, pry some more, and pry again. Have someone with small arms reach in and pull the seat latch.

Registered
2023 Racing Red Kona N
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, you should have mentioned it was toast, I was going for gentle persuasion.
I did try gentler persuasion with the seats, but the mechanism is actually pretty strong for the amount of leverage you can get.

Registered
2022 Hampton Grey Sonata NLine
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I should have expounded, My N-Line is toast(most definitely totaled), rear damage seized up the trunk.

The solution was: stick pry bar into section of trunk that had a minor gap. Pry, pry some more, and pry again. Have someone with small arms reach in and pull the seat latch.
Are you ok from the accident? Hate to sound cliche; but that鈥檚 what鈥檚 important

Registered
2023 Racing Red Kona N
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you ok from the accident? Hate to sound cliche; but that鈥檚 what鈥檚 important
Car did what car is designed to do, and what you'd expect from a high safety rating. I am fine, just a little sore. Passenger is 100% unbothered. Airbag cover busted up my nose and lip a little, so a warning for those over 6 ft, the further you have sit back the more of a weapon that becomes.

Mainly just annoyed because the N Line has only dropped features since 21. May end up in an Elantra N, may jump to a G70 or G80. Hard telling till insurance gets back.

Registered
'18 Sonata Limited 2.0T
2018 and up Sonatas have an emergency trunk release cable under the left-side rear seat in case of electrical failure (i.e.; 2020 Sonata Owners Manual, pg 5-66).

Attachments

Registered
'18 Sonata Limited 2.0T
On the previous model of Sonata the dealership would have to remove the rear seats to get to the trunk. Not fun
One other means is available to access the trunk in an emergency without having to pull the seats (prefer not to document online).

Registered
One other means is available to access the trunk in an emergency without having to pull the seats (prefer not to document online).
Why even mention it then? Share or you're not the real MacIver! :rolleyes:

Reactions: xsnrgy

Registered
'18 Sonata Limited 2.0T
Chill, Dr. Bach... I hesitate to expound on a dealer's means in view of the rash of malicious online teen challenges. If others on the site who know and choose to document the procedure online, then it's on them.
BTW, you're right; the real Maciver is out on the water today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts