Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting closer to making a decision to purchase a Sonata. I am not purchasing for a couple more months regardless though. I am just trying to get some information answered so I do not have to dig for it later.

1. Hyundai touts their 10-year powertrain and 5-year new vehicle warranty. However, when I see the fine print, it says "limited" and to see the dealer for details. When I was at the dealer, they said the 5-year is bumper-to-bumper and the 10-year is a no questions asked powertrain warranty (assuming you do the normal maintenance). the sales guys say one thing, but the contract is the binding agreement.

What do the current owners have in their contracts regarding the warranties?

2. I test drove a car with the Dimension sound system and it was pretty weak. Has anyone seen or have one of the Premium systems in their new Sonata? How is it?

3. I have checked the differences in the GLS and Limited. The main differences (I know there are others) I can see is the GLS will lack leather interior, sunroof, 17" rims, and rear camera. Are there any other major differences?

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx

2. I wish i had got a GLS with nav vs Se no/nav. I would have had the dimensions+ nav+everything else it came with... would of saved alot more money..and woudn't have the harsher ride

3. GLS and limited is the way to go.. You will find more dealers giving bigger discounts on them. I don't know why they don't on the se.. check the brochure at hyundai's website.. theres heating rear seats i know.. but there are more.. I think dual climate control as well (knobs on the a/c are different too i believe)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be waiting for the Turbo and Hybrid to come out before I buy. I want to see the difference between current models and those. I am also waiting to get my wife's car paid off before picking up another car payment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (BigRedNole @ May 12 2010, 07:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322053
1. Hyundai touts their 10-year powertrain and 5-year new vehicle warranty. However, when I see the fine print, it says "limited" and to see the dealer for details. When I was at the dealer, they said the 5-year is bumper-to-bumper and the 10-year is a no questions asked powertrain warranty (assuming you do the normal maintenance). the sales guys say one thing, but the contract is the binding agreement.
I believe the 'limited' refers to two things, first that the warranty is exclusionary ("covers everything except X") and that it is not transferable. They do that so you don't get regular maintenance items like timing belts, batteries, etc replaced under warranty. They also make it non-transferable, which is why I ended up with a new Sonata instead of a used one. It pushes their new cars over used, rewards customer loyalty, and limits their costs on repairs. They dont have to waste money repairing some 8 year-old beater thats on its 5th owner. :D

Older hyundais pretty much required hyundai trans fluid or they would run buggy. The upside was, when you bought it you had proof of maintenance too. Now you don't even need that, lifetime trans.

I used the warranty once, on paint. Dealer gave me reasonable pushback to deffer whiny customers, I had to bring go in twice. Second time the manager took one look and ordered it repainted, gave me a Santa Fe Limited loaner for 2 weeks. My experience is that Hyundai is more customer-service orientated than many dealers. I place them somewhere between a luxury brand (amazing service) and standard brand (you have to file with BBB before they even look at you). They will try to stop as much expensive, pointless service as possible ("i got a chip, repaint my whole car") but are very reasonable on actual issues. Of course, dealers vary.

2.4 prices will DROP when the 2.0t and hybrid arrive. Especially GLS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I also think there are some things in the bumper-to-bumper warranty that are only for a short period of time, hence the limited tag. The audio/bluetooth system is not covered for 5 years, only 3. Same with the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts