Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just bought a brand new 2018 tucson FWD witht ht e 1.6l turbo. the engine seems very smooth and quite until the cart its 70 mph, and then i can hear a loud hum kind of sound, maybe its from the engine harshness or from the tires that seem to be slightly unbalanced as i feel some minor vibration in the backrest of the driver's seat above 7- mph speeds.
has anyone experienced this, or is this normal tucson behavior?
thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 185 Cdti is smooth and refined even at 100mph!

I’d get it checked at the dealership. Could just be an unbalanced tyre as you say, it maybe something like a heat shield that’s just resonant at that speed and could easily be adjusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I'd have it checked out. Mines quiet at any speed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Same, no weird vibration or hum. I would have it checked. Could there be something wrong with one of your tires? I don't remember the OEM tires making any noise or hum at 70mph.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Warranty issue.

Reactions: mmahamm

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is my understanding that cars sold in different markets may have different OEM tires. The OP does not state in which market their vehicle was sold.
Heck, I've seen six different brands, and many models of tires for 2017's in my local area alone.

I have yet to find anyone else in my area with the same Kuhmo tires on mine. And there's a lot of Tucsons in my area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Hankook Kinergy gt tires, Tirerack rates them horribly based on consumer reviews, people have complained or uneven roundness and hard to balance. So I feel that tires are the issue, has anyone gotten Hyundai to change the tires under warranty?

I had a similar problem issue on my bmw with michelin pilot sport AS3+ tires, went through two sents, no better, untill I switched over to Bridgestone potenza's. Albeit, Michelin is premium tire brand and the previous tires from Michelin were just fine,so it seems even big name manufacturers can have issues with tire production and QA.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the Hankook Kinergy gt tires, Tirerack rates them horribly based on consumer reviews, people have complained or uneven roundness and hard to balance. So I feel that tires are the issue, has anyone gotten Hyundai to change the tires under warranty?

I had a similar problem issue on my bmw with michelin pilot sport AS3+ tires, went through two sents, no better, untill I switched over to Bridgestone potenza's. Albeit, Michelin is premium tire brand and the previous tires from Michelin were just fine,so it seems even big name manufacturers can have issues with tire production and QA.
I had those on my Night Edition with Hankook Kinergy GT tires and it was horrible tires so I bought Sumitomo Ultra Season Tire way better but now it total loss. I got replaced new 2018 Hyundai Tucson came with Kumho seem okay so far.

·
Registered
844 Posts
...I feel that tires are the issue, has anyone gotten Hyundai to change the tires under warranty?...
It would be up to the tire manufacturer (not Hyundai) to replace tires under warranty. Tires are one of the few parts of the vehicle that are not covered under Hyundai's new vehicle warranty. If you do have a bad tire, the dealer should work with you and the tire manufacturer to warranty the tire. It could be that the wheel is just out of balance. Either way, taking it to your dealer and complaining is the way to go. It's likely that the first thing they will do is re-balance all four tires and ask you to drive it and bring it back if it is still an issue. If you have a good dealer, and it's a bad tire, they will warranty the tire for you.

·
Registered
200 Posts

We had the Hankook Kinergy tires as well on our Tuscon. My wife got about 32K miles out of them. We changed them earlier this year to Continental DSW06's. The change in ride and drive of the vehicle was amazing. I couldn't convince my wife to change earlier. But even she commented on how much better the Tuscon handled and rode once we changed the tires.

As I stated earlier if one your tires is bad, then you should be covered under the Hankook tire warranty that the Tuscon came with. Not sure they will give you four new tires but it's worth the try. Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts