Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up. I've been considering trading my 2015 Sonata (keeping my 2018) for a G70 or a Stinger. (Different bodies but the same drive train). Well, dealers don't have the G70 yet, however dealers do have the Stinger in stock. So I visited my local Kia dealer to check it out. Has a few in stock, including the base with 2.0Turbo, GT1 and GT2 with 3.3 Twin Turbo. Beautiful cars. Loved them (kinda!!!!) at first. Checked it out and again loved it UNTIL I realized that you can't see diddly out the rear window. The rear window looks large from the outside, but from inside looking at the center rear view mirror, that rear view is SMALL. Otherwise loved the car but I'm not going to let my heart overrule my head for a car with such poor rear vision. Not going to buy the Stinger. Once the G70 is introduced, I'll check that out. (Really don't want a G80 but may have to consider it if I don't like the G70 once dealers get them).

GenesisG70Forum.com - The Largest Hyundai Genesis G70 Forum, Community And Owner's Club

·
Registered
316 Posts
Timely post. I'm very keen on the Stinger and have been doing a bunch of research over the past couple of weeks.

They've just been recently introduced in Canada, so the only ones in the showrooms here are pre-sold and can't be test driven. I was able to sit in one on the showroom, start it up and play with the features and I'm very impressed. I agree that the rear visibility isn't great, but I'm willing to trade that for 365 HP and AWD. Canada gets only the twin-turbo V6 with AWD, so the only choice is between the GT and the GT Limited, the latter being fully loaded with tech toys. For $51K CDN, I think that the Limited is a great buy for the performance and features that you receive at that price.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just read the article. Glad to see it agreed with me about the large C Post and Small Rear Winfow that makes rear vision a challenge.

Rear seat did not bother me much except for lack of leg room.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
I'm waiting for the G70, if it is as good as the reviews it will be a bargain for the features and performance and still maintains the "sedan" look that I want. Performance should be about the same as both Stinger and G70 are same drive train but I really like the G80 and the G70 looks like a little brother. With the twin turbo V6 it should be a blast to drive over my 2.0t.

I hope to be able to try to make a deal the first quarter they are released.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just an update to this thread, as I now have my Stinger and am saying goodbye to the Sonata Forum.

No regrets whatsoever about having owned my Sonata for just under 4 years, but I was about to mile out my warranty and found the Stinger too attractive to pass up. A few things that I will miss about my Sonata vs, the Stinger though:
- Panoramic sunroof - not available on the Stinger, likely due to the sloping roofline
- Rear visibility - the C-pillars of the Stinger are huge compared to the Sonata and slit-like rear window in comparison
- The ability to turn off the display of the central screen by simply pushing the "Disp" button on the dash vs. 4 steps through the menu of the screen on the Stinger
- The drive by wire shifter of the Stinger reverts to "D" when using the paddle shifters after not shifting for a while, whereas the Sonata would stay in manual shift mode as long as you wanted.

The Stinger, however, is very seductive with its power, AWD and gorgeous looks. I hope it treats me as well as the Sonata did (other than the cheap-ass shift paddles that I needed to replace 3 times). Whoever buys my used Sonata is getting a very good vehicle.

Here's my new ride:

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Which model did you purchase? I see brembo brakes and you said AWD did you get the 2.0 or the twin turbo?

Beautiful car and Im jealous I think I want to wait to see the G70 with 2.0 and manual transmission but if it does not put a big smile on my face the twin turbo is a strong consideration as long as the transmission is better than the sonata

If you have the automatic how is its performance ? are the shifts faster than the sonata? does it rev match on manual downshift? in sport will it hold gear to redline or limiter?

The best auto Ive owned was my Infiniti G45s and G37s in sport mode they held the gear you selected with the paddle to the rev limiter, would not auto shift in manual mode and rev matched on downshifts.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've had it for less than 200 miles, but I'll answer what I can. It is the V6 twin turbo AWD, loaded with all the tech features (GT2 in the US, GT Limited in Canada). In Sport mode, the shifts are much quicker than in the Sonata, both manually shifting and letting the transmission shift itself. In Comfort mode the shifts are still quicker than the Sonata but not as sharp as they are in Sport mode. It does rev match on downshifts, so that's nice and smooth. The paddle shifters also have a better feel to them than the ones in the Sonata. In fairness to the Sonata, though, it wasn't meant to be a sport sedan, even if a few of us liked to pretend it was.

Due to the newness, I haven't yet ran it to redline, so I can't answer that question. I can tell you that it hooks up really well, though. 80% of the power goes to the rear wheels in Sport mode, so you just press the loud pedal it it takes off. I haven't yet used the Launch Control on mine, but I did on the designated test drive car at the dealership. That, too, works well - no drama or wheelspin - just very rapid acceleration.

I'm old and would still love to be able to get the V6TT with a real manual transmission, but I'll happily make do with the 8 speed auto in the car as it seems to work very well.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Thanks for the answers, beautiful car. I hope you love it. I know your leaving the forum but if you think of it in a few thousand miles drop an update here. A lot of us are interested in the Stinger or G70

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm highly envious. I, too, was looking between the Stinger and G70. I was leaning towards the Stinger, as the G70 is too small for what I want, but I "ruined" my Stinger experience by test driving the Korean spec Stinger at the LA Auto Show. Unfortunately, the Korean version came with all sorts of niceties (360° camera, remote app control, very nice interior color options, etc.) that we don't get here but the G70 mostly offers. Bluelink functionality is one of my top 3 necessities, but if Kia didn't skimp out on, at least, the surround camera, I would've forgone the remote app capabilities for it.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Just an update to this thread, as I now have my Stinger and am saying goodbye to the Sonata Forum.

No regrets whatsoever about having owned my Sonata for just under 4 years, but I was about to mile out my warranty and found the Stinger too attractive to pass up. A few things that I will miss about my Sonata vs, the Stinger though:
- Panoramic sunroof - not available on the Stinger, likely due to the sloping roofline
- Rear visibility - the C-pillars of the Stinger are huge compared to the Sonata and slit-like rear window in comparison
- The ability to turn off the display of the central screen by simply pushing the "Disp" button on the dash vs. 4 steps through the menu of the screen on the Stinger
- The drive by wire shifter of the Stinger reverts to "D" when using the paddle shifters after not shifting for a while, whereas the Sonata would stay in manual shift mode as long as you wanted.

The Stinger, however, is very seductive with its power, AWD and gorgeous looks. I hope it treats me as well as the Sonata did (other than the cheap-ass shift paddles that I needed to replace 3 times). Whoever buys my used Sonata is getting a very good vehicle.

Here's my new ride:

Not a lot makes me jealous, but you just rang the bell! :mad:

Good luck. Nice car. :grin2:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm highly envious. I, too, was looking between the Stinger and G70. I was leaning towards the Stinger, as the G70 is too small for what I want, but I "ruined" my Stinger experience by test driving the Korean spec Stinger at the LA Auto Show. Unfortunately, the Korean version came with all sorts of niceties (360° camera, remote app control, very nice interior color options, etc.) that we don't get here but the G70 mostly offers. Bluelink functionality is one of my top 3 necessities, but if Kia didn't skimp out on, at least, the surround camera, I would've forgone the remote app capabilities for it.
The US consumers kinda got screwed by Kia over here. We Canadians also get the 360 camera, UVO remote start & heated rear seats, Plus a MSRP of about $51K for a loaded model, the same as in the States, but in $CDN which converts to about $39K in $USD.

OK, I'll stop gloating now, but it really is a smoking great deal up here. Mind you, you won't find any dealers discounting them in Canada like you will in the US.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The US consumers kinda got screwed by Kia over here. We Canadians also get the 360 camera, UVO remote start & heated rear seats, Plus a MSRP of about $51K for a loaded model, the same as in the States, but in $CDN which converts to about $39K in $USD.

OK, I'll stop gloating now, but it really is a smoking great deal up here. Mind you, you won't find any dealers discounting them in Canada like you will in the US.
Ugh...you guys didn't get AA and CarPlay when you should've so they made it up this way. Send a GT2 my way when you're ready ?

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Ugh...you guys didn't get AA and CarPlay when you should've so they made it up this way. Send a GT2 my way when you're ready ?

LOL! As much of a dreamer as I am, with either my Aston Martin Vanquish, or a nice shiny new Tesla Roadster!

>:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I shall chime in a week later to this thread lol...

Congrats on the Stinger purchase first off! Verryyy nice car.
Both are nice cars. However, I think I am more of a G70 person, though I wish it were a tad bigger (more 4 series than 3 series) I always liked the 4 series BMW's the best. Not too small, not too big.
I shall have my eye on it when it comes out, that is for sure.

Again, congrats on new Stinger.
:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Congrats, I think I only saw one here in the wild in NYC. The rest are all through dealer showroom windows. I'm sure there will be more G70s around, but then again who knows where the market is for them. I am always surprised when I see a stinger and realize just how big it is. It's more Infiniti Q series than G for sure. I hope the Genesis follows the same sizing template, but then again they may not want to cannibalize G80 sales.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just took my Stinger on its first road trip. About 650 miles over 3 days at about 200 miles per day. No negatives from the trip, but I did get a chance to play with a few of the tech features that my Sonata didn't have.

The Lane Keeping Assist) LKA worked very well. Very effective and far less intrusive than I would have expected. One strange thing that I did learn is that when set in Sport or Custom drive mode, the car will stay in 7th gear rather than 8th gear if you have it in D, unless you have the Cruise Control enabled. If you have CC turned on, it will happily stay in 8th gear in D regardless of which drive mode you have selected.

Most importantly, however, I found the car to be very comfortable as an extended highway cruiser. One of my favourite things about my Sonata is how well it treated me on long road trips. I could drive for many hours and not arrive sore whatsoever - the drivers seat was great. Though I haven't yet had it on a really long trip, all indications are that the Stinger will be just as comfortable.

Noticeable difference in fuel economy, though. At a steady 75 mph, my Sonata would typically get about 33 mpg, whereas the Stinger was getting more like 26 mpg on this trip. Still less than 1,000 miles on it, though, so that might improve when fully broken in. On the plus side, I did find that it's not hard to hit 100 mph when passing traffic - this thing just gets up and hauls hard when you put your foot down. Really easy to produce a smile using your right foot.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Just took my Stinger on its first road trip. About 650 miles over 3 days at about 200 miles per day. No negatives from the trip, but I did get a chance to play with a few of the tech features that my Sonata didn't have.

The Lane Keeping Assist) LKA worked very well. Very effective and far less intrusive than I would have expected. One strange thing that I did learn is that when set in Sport or Custom drive mode, the car will stay in 7th gear rather than 8th gear if you have it in D, unless you have the Cruise Control enabled. If you have CC turned on, it will happily stay in 8th gear in D regardless of which drive mode you have selected.

Most importantly, however, I found the car to be very comfortable as an extended highway cruiser. One of my favourite things about my Sonata is how well it treated me on long road trips. I could drive for many hours and not arrive sore whatsoever - the drivers seat was great. Though I haven't yet had it on a really long trip, all indications are that the Stinger will be just as comfortable.

Noticeable difference in fuel economy, though. At a steady 75 mph, my Sonata would typically get about 33 mpg, whereas the Stinger was getting more like 26 mpg on this trip. Still less than 1,000 miles on it, though, so that might improve when fully broken in. On the plus side, I did find that it's not hard to hit 100 mph when passing traffic - this thing just gets up and hauls hard when you put your foot down. Really easy to produce a smile using your right foot.
Great to hear you are happy with the car and putting some miles on it. Thanks for coming back and updating us. I believe ther are a few of us that are seriously interested in a Stinger or a G70 (when they arrive).

Looks like the
Audi A4 (110" wb,79" wd, 186" length)
BMW 4 (110" wb, 72" wd, 183" length)
Stinger (114" wb,73" wd, 190" length)
G70 (111" wb, 72" wd, 184" length)
are all about the same in size / class as a Sonata (110"wb, 73"wd, 191" length).

Just big differences in performance and final fit and finish. I' still leaning towards the G70, my dealer says by the end of summer but Ill believe it when they arrive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts