Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a GEICO customer for all of my cars and found their rates for someone my age (42) living in NYC to be reasonable. Clean driving record too.

I got a notice from them that my next premium payment (auto -pay) will be almost $250, up from what I had been paying on my 2017 SF of around $130 /mo. They charged me a $100 new car fee. I called them a got a woman who didn't have much to say other than because I got into a new car they raised my rates by what seems to me to have been an arbitrary amount (premiums will goto $185 after June). I asked how they got that rate / amount and she said she can't tell me. She then said because this car is "more expensive" than my last one. I asked by what metric? It's the same car only 3 yrs newer. The MSRP is the same. She didn't have an answer for me. I then said this car is packed w/ even more safety features than my last one and her answer to me - which I couldn't believe - is that "well these new features are more expensive to repair if you get into an accident so that's why it costs more". WHAT!?!?! This new SF is a top rated safety pick!

I'm not so naive to understand that auto insurance carriers are scam artists. But I really can't believe these answers I got and that they just raise rates without any real reason and won't explain the math behind how they came to this new premium.

Has anyone here seen their rates go up when they purchased their new SF? What insurance company do you use and are you happy with your experience?

I'm considering leaving GEICO but I know they may still be the most competitive provider out there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you quote Geico as a new customer, are the rates lower? I do know a lot of time Progressive offers lower rates to new customers vs old. Check it out. Also Progressive gives lower rates depending on profession.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Tech cost money and they will charge you for that. But seems you are getting charged almost double.

Last Oct I swapped my 14 Elantra Sport for a 19 Charger RT and my rates went up $75 every 6 months (USAA).

Reactions: mtlavvy

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
252 Posts
Look into Liberty Mutual. Going from 2 years with Progressive to Liberty Mutual cut my premiums in half.Liberty actually said my insurance was lower going from a 2013 Hyundai Accent to a 2019 Hyundai Elantra because of the added safety features.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL
18 Posts
My insurance went up $285.00 every 6 months with State Farm when I went from a 2018 SF to a 2020 SF. Needless to say I am no longer insured with State Farm.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Obviously a new car is worth more than a 3 year old car. It is not what you paid when new but what it is worth today. Anyhow, most insurance companies I thought were giving discounts because nobody was driving with covid around. Best is USAA if you qualify. I hear good things about Amica. Stay away from Allstate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously a new car is worth more than a 3 year old car. It is not what you paid when new but what it is worth today. Anyhow, most insurance companies I thought were giving discounts because nobody was driving with covid around. Best is USAA if you qualify. I hear good things about Amica. Stay away from Allstate.
They're offering 15% off my next 6 months. Big deal now that my premium has gone up by 20%.

I follow your logic re: the present value of the cars. By that logic why wouldn't rates go down over the life of your vehicle? Funny, that.

I won't qualify for USAA although my father uses them. Thankfully he gets the rate he should be getting.

I imagine no one loves their auto insurance companies and it's a matter of going with the lesser of all the necessary evils.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look into Liberty Mutual. Going from 2 years with Progressive to Liberty Mutual cut my premiums in half.Liberty actually said my insurance was lower going from a 2013 Hyundai Accent to a 2019 Hyundai Elantra because of the added safety features.
I'll give Liberty a call. I think they may be the one I keep getting emails from Hyundai about.

Interesting that they deem safety features as a reason to lower premiums. I thought this would be the case with all of them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My insurance went up $285.00 every 6 months with State Farm when I went from a 2018 SF to a 2020 SF. Needless to say I am no longer insured with State Farm.
****, who are you with now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a Liberty Mutual customer. Went from a 2011 Xterra to 2020 SF SEL and insurance went down $130 a year. Agent said it was because of additional safety features.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They're offering 15% off my next 6 months. Big deal now that my premium has gone up by 20%.

I follow your logic re: the present value of the cars. By that logic why wouldn't rates go down over the life of your vehicle? Funny, that.

I won't qualify for USAA although my father uses them. Thankfully he gets the rate he should be getting.

I imagine no one loves their auto insurance companies and it's a matter of going with the lesser of all the necessary evils.
Children of USAA members are eligible for USAA insurance. I suggest you call them. My daughter has USAA because I am a policy holder.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
255 Posts
I've been a GEICO customer for all of my cars and found their rates for someone my age (42) living in NYC to be reasonable. Clean driving record too.

I got a notice from them that my next premium payment (auto -pay) will be almost $250, up from what I had been paying on my 2017 SF of around $130 /mo. They charged me a $100 new car fee. I called them a got a woman who didn't have much to say other than because I got into a new car they raised my rates by what seems to me to have been an arbitrary amount (premiums will goto $185 after June). I asked how they got that rate / amount and she said she can't tell me. She then said because this car is "more expensive" than my last one. I asked by what metric? It's the same car only 3 yrs newer. The MSRP is the same. She didn't have an answer for me. I then said this car is packed w/ even more safety features than my last one and her answer to me - which I couldn't believe - is that "well these new features are more expensive to repair if you get into an accident so that's why it costs more". WHAT!?!?! This new SF is a top rated safety pick!

I'm not so naive to understand that auto insurance carriers are scam artists. But I really can't believe these answers I got and that they just raise rates without any real reason and won't explain the math behind how they came to this new premium.

Has anyone here seen their rates go up when they purchased their new SF? What insurance company do you use and are you happy with your experience?

I'm considering leaving GEICO but I know they may still be the most competitive provider out there.
I had Geico for about 13 years (clean driving record) and switched to Progressive after buying the SF. My insurance also went up. My rate with Progressive is about $110/month less expensive than Geico was.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
252 Posts
I'll give Liberty a call. I think they may be the one I keep getting emails from Hyundai about.

Interesting that they deem safety features as a reason to lower premiums. I thought this would be the case with all of them.
Yes I kept getting emails from Liberty Mutual and Hyundai. I blew it off till I got my next renewal from Progressive and they raised my insurance again. Every renewal it got from 50 to 100 higher. And it was a claim of rates being raised in my area. It was a really nice drop in cost going to Liberty. Really wished I had looked into when the Dealer suggested them .

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 AWD
12 Posts
When I bought my new car Geico wanted $180 extra for 6 months because my car has many safety features and is expensive to repair if something happens??? I switch to Progressive- they offer me the same price that I am paying for my old car (2014 Kia Optima)

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
252 Posts
When I bought my new car Geico wanted $180 extra for 6 months because my car has many safety features and is expensive to repair if something happens??? I switch to Progressive- they offer me the same price that I am paying for my old car (2014 Kia Optima)
Yeah that's how they got me. But after a year and 1/2 I was paying a third more than my old insurance. Now when I left them..Went from 960 every 6 months(1 car progressive) to 970 a year (2 cars Liberty Mutual..1 being full coverage the other at liability.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do none of your insurance companies offer a rate lock, to prevent your premiums from going up every year at renewal?

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
463 Posts
Never heard of a rate lock! How does it work?
It works by paying a higher premium for the benefit of taking away the risk of your insurance company raising your premiums in the future.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
463 Posts
This is one thing my dad made sure I knew (he was in the Army)--make sure to get my insurance thru USAA. Started when I was 25 with a renter's policy. I've had them ever since; now for car and homeowners. Credit card too. Absolutely top notch customer service too.

Call them today.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
rate locks only good if plan on keeping the cars you have for a long period. The minute you change a vehicle the rate lock disappears and rates are recalculated. Good if you did a rate lock on a new car and kept it for 10 years. Always a catch.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts