Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hawks,

I don't have any trouble with mine.

Does yours exhibit the same problem in the summertime? I'm just thinking about the temperature differences.

From what I do know, could you take the car back to a Hyundai dealership for them to take a look?
The car has three years warranty remaining.

It could just need the clutch cable adjusting and / or the gearbox oil level checking.

One last thought, are you pushing the pedal all the way to the floor whilst trying to change gear?

All the best,

R.

·
Registered
855 Posts
From the owner's manual:

"If you've come to a complete stop and
it's hard to shift into 1st or R(Reverse),
put the shift lever in N(Neutral) position
and release the clutch. Press the
clutch pedal back down, and then shift
into 1st or R(Reverse) gear position."

Sometimes you can get away without doing this but usually just when you want to get into reverse quickly the box insists on the above routine. They are all the same so best to get into the routine of releasing the clutch first.

I realise your problem is on first starting but could still be worth giving it a go as most of us start with the clutch depressed and often go straight into a gear.

G

·
Gearbox

Hi I have i10 active 11 plate and have the same problem I did have to have the clutch cable tightened after buying the car bought the car second hand from dealers. I Do still get this problem although it is ok after putting into neutral and releasing cutch then goes into reverse first time. Does yours also sometimes loose rev as if it isn't in gear for a few seconds? its happened twice on motorway for literally seconds my revs go all over the place as if am not in gear. Cars booked into Hyundai for the end of the month although they say they cannot do anything really until its happening all the time,

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello yes Iv got the i20 and I sometimes have problems getting reverse and a crunch from 1st to 2nd....mines a 62 plate so under warranty....Hyundai say they will remove and inspect gearbox but if find nothing I have to pay the labour cost...well as I had my car tested with one of there mechanics crunch from 1st to 2nd...mechanic says that's normal.....says theres a gearbox design fault...head office says there isn't.. if they remove the inspect how can they find any problem when theres a design fault...im still talking to Hyundai trying to get them to pay under warranty....started to loose it now..

·
Registered
2 Posts
hyundai i20

I can someone help me..i have a Hyundai i20 62 plate under warranty....
gearbox problems...sometimes hard to get into reverse and now crunch from 1st to 2nd.. taken back to Hyundai they tested car with mechanic.. crunch 1st to 2nd mechanic says normal as there is a gearbox design fault. head office says there isn't..... Hyundai say they will remove and inspect gearbox however if cant find any problem I will have to pay for the labour cost....
how can they find any problem if there is a design fault..still talking to Hyundai but starting to loose it.:angry::angry:

·
Registered
590 Posts
i have this problem on my 2014 i10. it is going in next week for new alloys and they are 'looking' at the gearbox then.
i'll report back there findings,
the car is going anyway so i'm not that bothered..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check my post's on the crunch-it's a long saga but in the end got them to change the gear box oil and it's much much better just the occasional crunch now I can live with.

They call it a characteristic don't believe them

Good luck

·
Registered
590 Posts
Check my post's on the crunch-it's a long saga but in the end got them to change the gear box oil and it's much much better just the occasional crunch now I can live with.

They call it a characteristic don't believe them

Good luck
Did they just change the oil or change the grade of oil?

·
Registered
70 Posts
As far as I am aware just changed the oil, it took months but after a meeting with the Hyundai technical staff they thought it worth a try and it worked (some of the time I get a crunch or a slight snick ).

This came about as I noticed the box was better in cold weather when the oil is more viscose.

I have spent a large part of my working life in or in support of motor manufacturers and can recognize a bad design fault in a gear box so just kept on at them and it worked.

My dealer informed me they ave replaced gearbox assemblies on other customers cars and the crunch is still present, so that reinforce's my theory.

One further point I am not convinced that the clutch on the i10 is up to modern standards and seems to have a shorter life than other cars.

Good luck

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yea I had similar issues. But I found out that changing gears smoothly and slowly solved the issue.

Don't wrench the gear stick into reverse. Especially on cold starts and when you've been driving forwards. Make sure you're stationary an in neutral, depress the clutch then slowly put it into reverse. If it doesn't work, neutral again, depress clutch and try again. It should work. Next service I'm getting them to replace the gearbox fluid just out of peace of mind.

1st to 2nd is no issue as I change gears slowly and it clicks in lovely. Best gearbox out of any car I've used.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yea I had similar issues. But I found out that changing gears smoothly and slowly solved the issue.

Don't wrench the gear stick into reverse. Especially on cold starts and when you've been driving forwards. Make sure you're stationary an in neutral, depress the clutch then slowly put it into reverse. If it doesn't work, neutral again, depress clutch and try again. It should work. Next service I'm getting them to replace the gearbox fluid just out of peace of mind.

1st to 2nd is no issue as I change gears slowly and it clicks in lovely. Best gearbox out of any car I've used.
Yep, doing exactly what you do, but it take about 4-5 attempts to get reverse, as for 1-2 gear change, no matter how i or my wife drives it crunches.:frown:

we always drive steady, if i wanted to drive at speed i wouldn't of bought a i10:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well said steve67

I tried all sorts of driving styles, never thought as much about driving around problems with a car in my life,still had the problem.

But it's important to say the problem is the car like many I have driven a lot averaging 40000 miles per year for 30 years and never never
had so many silly problems with a car-I hope it's sorted now but not confident.

We all feel that the 5 year warranty is great but give me a 12 or 36 month warranty with no problems any time, other car manufacturers manage it.

Last company car I had did not present any problems for 84000 miles and it was sorted in 20 mins.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well said steve67

I tried all sorts of driving styles, never thought as much about driving around problems with a car in my life,still had the problem.

But it's important to say the problem is the car like many I have driven a lot averaging 40000 miles per year for 30 years and never never
had so many silly problems with a car-I hope it's sorted now but not confident.

We all feel that the 5 year warranty is great but give me a 12 or 36 month warranty with no problems any time, other car manufacturers manage it.

Last company car I had did not present any problems for 84000 miles and it was sorted in 20 mins.

i'm just fed up taking a new car back to the dealer with so many niggles, i asked my wife am i being too picky, but we never had this with our last few cars.
Hyundai cost cutting?:|
Hyundai were a cheap brand so you would expect things like ithis but now they are trying to mix it with the big boys they have got to improve on there product durability.:surprise:
i'm still trying to get the hill assist to work...:surprise:

·
Registered
152 Posts
hill start assist needs 6% gradient or steeper, that's a pretty steep slope

VAG cars like my old fabia was 3% gradient, and worked well, but I did have a few occasions when it got in the way

I actually thought Hyundai had done a pretty good job balancing cost and build, build quality seems better than current VAG models

I only have a couple of niggles, yes 1st to 2nd the gears do catch a little, a minor annoyance but nothing major, so long as it stay the same and gets no worse i can cope with it

the other one is the lack of consistency on some of the controls, cruise on my i20 operates differently than the wifes i10, and the controls are in different locations relative to each other

1 - 15 of 15 Posts