Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i was driving home from work, and when i was at a stop sign, i shifted into 1st gear and then my whole gear stick became loose, and i was able to shift to 2nd gear before i couldn't shift it any more?
Now my car is stuck in 2nd gear and is at home i don;t think i can drive it around cause it doesn't go into gear. It just moves up and down freely. Also i checked the shifter cable and the rubber boot is ripped. is this why my gear stick is loose? Thank you

And also i did do a quick shift to 1st gear, and my car is a Hyundai excel lx 1996 Manual transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I have a manual transmission excel, and as time went on it went from slightly difficult to shift w/o crunching the gears to nearly impossible. The knob flopped around quite a bit before it's motion was interpreted by the transmission.
Try this - remove the shifter cover, 3 phillips screws, and inspect the areas where a bolt goes through a slightly larger cylinder connected directly to the knob's shaft. There should be some amber colored plastic shims between the through bolt and the cylinder. Mine were broken to bits and there were little plastic chips around the device. I bought some replacement shims, but had to sand them to the right diameter 'cause stupid Americans haven't heard of the metric system yet. Also check the rest of the shifter- there is a little nub that creates a stopping feeling that tends to lose it's plastic, and the forward-back hinge lower down.
If that all looks OK, bleed your clutch line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we have a Hyundai Terracan 2005 and it runs well and we have had no problems with it but now when we change gears the gearstick has become loose and sloppy, like it is semi rotating, we can still drive it and change gears ok but I think something has happened to change it, can anyone give me an idea to why it has changed please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts