Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to put my car into gear today (automatic gear box, 2004) the gear shifter was very hard to move, as if whatever automated its ease is no longer functioning. And i'm pretty sure the steering and brakes are not performing with their power aided functions either. Is this a set of servos all on one line somewhere? Fried? Just a fuse? Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
209 Posts
All three systems are seperate. If power steering is out you'd hardly be able to turn the wheel unless the car was moving and even then it would take a good bit of effort.

Same with power brakes. You'd have to stand on the pedal to stop.

your shift lever is mechanical. I'd start by looking for an obstruction that could be blocking or hindering the shift lever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is shifting out of park hard all the time or was it a one time thing? If you park on an incline it can be difficult to shift out of park.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me today!
This was immediately after AAA jump started the car.
Weird. Starts and runs fine - just takes nearly 2 hands to move the shifter around. Thought maybe there was an electric arc weld of the cable, could happen if there was a poor ground, but no, after disconnecting the cable it moves freely.
The shift lever at the trans is stiff like crazy.
Anyone care to toss out a guess.
I'm stumped.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine seemed to loosen up after I forced it around a bit when the engine was good and hot, but it still don't work the way it used to. And now i'm having scary transmission shudder probs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem has resurfaced now several times, each time after the car sits for a week or two. And it sounds nutty, but the trouble may be parking brake related as the parking brake was engaged with each incident.

Sometimes the car won't start cause it has slipped out of Park while sitting there. So I have to force the shifter into neutral to start the car. And it bungs up so badly I can't even get the car to shift into drive at all. The trick so far seems to be driving it in reverse for a few minutes. This allows the car to finally function almost normally. And then it works fine until I leave it sitting again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to let you know how that all worked out, I took it to a shop and when they disconnected the linkage from the transmission, it moved freely, but they couldn't move the lever inside the transmission. It turns out it was heavily corroded and rusted (I guess, it would be the only rust and corrosion on the car). They took off the transmission pan and grinded things down and bored out the hole and now it works slicker than it ever has. 400 clams. I should note that the transmission now slips. It was either something they did or the old motor didn't like to be tore apart and tinkered with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts