Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble removing the gear shift knob of the 2011 sonata. The usual trick of turning the chrome ring at the bottom counter-clockwise and pushing down on it is not working. It won't budge in any direction, and if i apply any more force it's sure to break.

Simply pulling up does not work.

Turning the whole knob counter-clockwise does not work.

There are no visible holes, nuts or screws to release anything.

Only thing I can think of but haven't tried yet is prying off the top plastic piece on the very top of the knob. I'm not sure if it's meant to be pried off though and don't want to ruin it.

SOLUTION FOUND: Just yank the crap out of it, don't ask questions. Thank you sbr711, fear and smoke.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
From what I have read in other posts the shifter must be placed in either neutral or drive then pull up.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Grab knob, pull straight upward with 50+lb of force, and handle should pop off...

NOTE ----> DONT PUNCH YOURSELF in face when know POP's off

Reactions: Danny_D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Dec 13 2010, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379351
Grab knob, pull straight upward with 50+lb of force, and handle should pop off...

NOTE ----> DONT PUNCH YOURSELF in face when know POP's off
This does not work, and I have found does not work on most newer model cars. What I've seen work in a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lerado, for example, is that the bottom chrome ring turns counter-clockwise, then pushes down. After that, there's a small placement pin that needs to be pushed out in order to allow the knob to pul up with no effort.

I'm noticing newer model cars are making the general deconstruction process more difficult every year. Also, having the shifter in nuetral or drive is only a convenience factor as the angle is a little easier to work with, so this also does not work.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
always try this approach:

[attachment=21775:sledgehammer.jpg]

although, i don't recommend it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
in all seriousness....

i've read on here, my more than one poster that you just pull straight up on the shifter knob....it will come off..but, takes some force to do so. look for the post about relocating the ipod port, or adding lights to the cup holders....i think both of them mention the removal process

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I apoligize for doubting the people who told me to just yank it off. It worked, I was just being too cautious and doubtful when I tried. I work on a variaty of different cars and, lately, simply yanking it off hasn't been the way to do it.

So, thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (KDR @ Dec 13 2010, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379401
Well I apoligize for doubting the people who told me to just yank it off. It worked, I was just being too cautious and doubtful when I tried. I work on a variaty of different cars and, lately, simply yanking it off hasn't been the way to do it.

np :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (KDR @ Dec 13 2010, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379401

And I have 3 techs around me who have had the knobs off a handfull of shifter already,, kid next to me repaired/replace couple 3 or 4 shifter assembly already in last couple week..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I did what you said and yanked on it...I didn't hit myself in the face, I did however yank with so much force that my head just about went through the roof lmao!!! :/ it did work though.... :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
always try this approach:

[attachment=21775:sledgehammer.jpg]

although, i don't recommend it
Ah yes, the "BFH". Used it many times. :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an OLDDDDD post, but i just bought a 2018 Tucson and this worked for me! However, i need to separate the boot from the knob and i cant figure out how to do this w/o breaking anything. Insights?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts