Hyundai Forums banner

gear selector LED lights

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Gerard 2 
#1 ·
I have a question about the gear selector's LED lights. I drive a 2013 Elantra GLS w/ auto tranny. There are 4 LED lights next to the gear selector: P, R, N and D. They are dimly lit all the time. When I have the gear selector in the P position or D position, the P or D LEDs become brightly lit. When the gear selector is in the R or N position, the R and N LEDs stay dimly lit and do not become brighter like P and D do. Is this normal? I just noticed this today but have never really paid enough attention to know if this is normal or not.

Also, I noticed that when the gear selector is in the D position, the D LED occasionally flickers off and on. The P LED does not do this. I can get it to flicker more frequently by moving the parking brake up or down. Any idea what could be the issue here? I've had the transmission range switch replaced once but doubt that its related to this.

#2 · (Edited)
Took notice to this last night .. all dimly back-lit in blue except for where the selector is which changes to a brighter blue (not sure if LED or not). Did not matter if the headlights were on or off.

Sounds like a dirty connection issue, I have something going on with the smart switch in my vehicle. ie: bright lights may randomly or momentarily dim if the turn signal is activated or deactivated.

#3 ·
Yeah it could be a dirty/bad connection. Since the day that I posted, I haven't been able to reproduce the flickering.

However, the R and N lights stay dimly lit even when the gear selector is in those positions. Do those become brightly lit for you when you move the gear selector to those positions?

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to try to open the gear selector cover yet to take a look at the type of lighting. I couldn't find any how-to videos but these instructions look pretty close. http://www.hemanual.org/console_repair_procedures-1979.html

It looks like these instructions will get me access by removing the entire center console, but I was hoping that there was an easier way.

#13 ·
Same style of LEDs used in behind the cluster. Is the colour blue? I have had these burn out and stop the LCD backlight illumination either working in total or just go dim which could be what's going on here. they don't last forvere unfortunately. I found an easy source and replaced mine at board level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.