Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find that sometimes when moving the gear stick into reverse.. there is a bit of a clunk?

I have heard this before on other cars but was not sure if it should happen to a new car...?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've known this to happen on every car I have owned. It has not happened to me personally on the i10, but I am currently teaching my daughter to drive, and she has managed it a couple of times, even to the point where she questions why it happens. This therefore leads me to believe the cause is driver error.
I cant say for definate what the cause is, it generally follows a driver error, whereby the gears are still rotating in the gearbox when reverse is selected. As the gears mesh together there is a bit of a clunck as the (still rotating) gears come together.
An example of a driver error may be something along the lines of - pushing the clutch down too early when coming to a rapid stop, and then immediately selecting reverse. In this way, the gears are not given enough time to stop before reverse is selected.
I emphasise this is only my personal way of seeing things, but as to your original question whether it normal for a new car, I would quess the answer is yes, and the actuall cause is operating technique.

Here is a quick edit - This can happen even when the car hasn't been moving. When on idle, the gearbox is still directly connected to the engine and thus certain parts of the gearbox are in motion. When you push down the clutch, try giving it a fraction of a second before selecting reverse, to give everything time to slow down.
Again I emphasise this is only my personal theory. I am no engineer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The way I understand it is that it is due to the lack of syncromesh on reverse gear.

"Reverse gear, however, is usually not synchromesh, as there is only one reverse gear in the normal automotive transmission and changing gears into reverse while moving is not required" quoted from Wikipedia gearbox page.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts