Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai Levant V6 1998-9
The vehicle changes gears normally and runs smoothly on the flat and slight hills
When on a large or medium slop the problem shows
The gears change but there is no power and its like driving with the hand brake on
Its top in 3rd is only about 60 K and it then with heavy strain
Once over the hill and flat all comes good

The gear shift now wont go to L and some times it wont start in P only N
:mad:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
first things first, get a code scanner on that car. this is not necessarily the transmission, but i'll be honest - with the problems of the shifter itself its not looking good. it could be an unrelated linkage problem though.

the fact that problems only show when the engine is under load is interesting...code scanner needed!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
code scanner needed!
And that is where the problem starts. Australia mandated OBD2 compliance only from 2006 on. Such a device may just not work on this vehicle since the necessary protocols are not implemented in the ECUs for that market. Better go to a shop and let them do the testing to find out.

Also please specify exactly what model this is since a 98 can be both a late Y3 or an early EF. Y3 models even don't have the 16pin OBD2 style DLC. If you need to diagnose such you're looking into ~1-2k$ investment.

Bad/no start in P, not going to L strongly points at your shift linkage being either broken or out of adjustment and also the transaxle range switch may be shot.

Another thing: timing belt. If it slipped a tooth or two the engine may still run be will be lacking power. The Sigma V6 on the Y3 does not have an automatic belt tensioner. Retensioning the belt is a maintenance item.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
interesting...did not know about aus and OBD2

its not the timing belt. if it was loose enough to slip a tooth, there would be far more problems than this - forget it actually slipping a tooth which would be the car barely running.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
slipping a tooth which would be the car barely running.
How do you know that ? Tried it ? There may just be one bank one tooth off. On BMW M30 engine e.g. you can by mistake install the timing chain 1 tooth off and it will still run (and that is more angular error than 1 tooth on a belt ...). It won't run very well though.

Anyway we still don't know what car we're actually talking about.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,797 Posts
Both times I have installed my timing belt on my Accent it would slip but that was when tightening it down. But it did not jump a tooth, rather the cam tuned when applying the tensioner pressure. First time I did not notice it and got a DTC after a while. The second belt I did last summer I paid close attention and it also slipped. But I caught it and got the belt on and tight without the top marker on the cam moving out of time.

It will run but should set a DTC or if no OBDII then you will see the timing marks are off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts