Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my 1998 excel decided to cause me grief. Just after I change gears it starts to shudder (like when you are in a too high of a gear for the speed you are doing). It also happens if I take my foot off of the accelerator, let it slow down maybe 5kms/hr then put my foot back on the accelerator. Also, it kind gives a bit of a shudder when idling and jerks forward a bit when driving.

First off I thought it may have had something to do with the oil which was low. That's now full and the problems still persist.

My thoughts are:
- clutch
- timing belt
- gears

My only previous experience like this was when my old Ford Laser's clutch died in the middle of the bush....not fun. The symptoms sort of seem similar in that you have to accelerate a bit more than usual but I don't have the whole slipping clutch thing going on (thank goodness).

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Definatley not driving it except to the mechanics next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My ute (Ford Courier) shudders when I take off. I thought it needed a clutch but one of my mates (who is a diesel engine mechanic and generally knows how to fix cars) told me if its shuddering its likely not the clutch but the disc that has been baked or warped so it shudders. He said it doesn't really matter much unless it ticks you off. So my ute continues to shudder...

To fix it you have to rip the clutch out anyway so I advise doing the whole clutch kit when you get it fixed - by a mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (NDbogan @ Nov 13 2010, 08:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371307
Today my 1998 excel decided to cause me grief. Just after I change gears it starts to shudder (like when you are in a too high of a gear for the speed you are doing). It also happens if I take my foot off of the accelerator, let it slow down maybe 5kms/hr then put my foot back on the accelerator. Also, it kind gives a bit of a shudder when idling and jerks forward a bit when driving.

First off I thought it may have had something to do with the oil which was low. That's now full and the problems still persist.

My thoughts are:
- clutch
- timing belt
- gears

My only previous experience like this was when my old Ford Laser's clutch died in the middle of the bush....not fun. The symptoms sort of seem similar in that you have to accelerate a bit more than usual but I don't have the whole slipping clutch thing going on (thank goodness).

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Definatley not driving it except to the mechanics next week.
Hey NDbogan,
How did you go with this problem? My daughters 1993 Excel is doing the exact same thing. It seems to go away at higher engine speeds. how much should she expect to pay to get it fixed? The car only cost $1000 so she doesn't want to spendtoo much, it is a good car otherwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts