Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
2,253 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
PS: i did this service on my nissan rogue this weekend.
(nissan rogue isnt GDI. its normally injected)

day1: plenty of white smoke. not a ton, but enough. it was short lived though.
day2: did it again. i figured it cant hurt. this time around, there was plenty of BLUE smoke. clearly this time a lot of carbon and oily substances burned off.

next will be the SFS

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
PS: i did this service on my nissan rogue this weekend.
(nissan rogue isnt GDI. its normally injected)

day1: plenty of white smoke. not a ton, but enough. it was short lived though.
day2: did it again. i figured it cant hurt. this time around, there was plenty of BLUE smoke. clearly this time a lot of carbon and oily substances burned off.

next will be the SFS
Pull intake,, pics needed of before and after.. :smile:

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just bought a 2014 SFS turbo a month ago. I didn't know any history of the GDI engine or the carbon problems that result from this type if fuel injection. Is the Hyundai GDI by design any better (or worse) then others manufactures like Ford, BMW etc.? I would think the carbon issue on the intake valve and the resulting loss in performance and drive ability would be covered under warranty if a repair is needed. At this point I'd give up GDI for good old fashion MPFI. I will discuss this with the service manager when I take in for the 3000 mi oil change next week. I never paid any attention to Top Tier gas until I bought the vehicle which is all I use.

·
Registered
859 Posts
According to sbr711 who is a hyundai tech on here it is not an issue like ford. Ford still uses egr valves which is probably loading up there pcv systems with crap gases that result in carbon. No issues here just prevention talk as far as i am aware of.:bigemo_harabe_net-0

I just bought a 2014 SFS turbo a month ago. I didn't know any history of the GDI engine or the carbon problems that result from this type if fuel injection. Is the Hyundai GDI by design any better (or worse) then others manufactures like Ford, BMW etc.? I would think the carbon issue on the intake valve and the resulting loss in performance and drive ability would be covered under warranty if a repair is needed. At this point I'd give up GDI for good old fashion MPFI. I will discuss this with the service manager when I take in for the 3000 mi oil change next week. I never paid any attention to Top Tier gas until I bought the vehicle which is all I use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've re read this whole thread and still no one knows what hyundai says about this issue or even if a TSB has been issued. Is ANY of this covered under warranty.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Then you did not read correctly. No TSB only on fords. No issue according to the hyundai tech i told you about in my last post.

I've re read this whole thread and still no one knows what hyundai says about this issue or even if a TSB has been issued. Is ANY of this covered under warranty.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts

What are we going to issue TSB for ??

GDI been on road since mid-2010,, we have no customer concerns at our place,, other than rash of recalls on YF that people straggling on.. ticket dispatched at 5:10pm for arms (yr now maybe) brake tubes and shift cable retainer (Aug 2014),, fuel door (3yr ?), and 1 or 2 more 3yr old recalls.. I'll have something to do tomorrow

·
Registered
31 Posts
Read post number 14. (It wont let me post a link yet.) I read lots of posts about what to do as preventive maintenance about carbon build up that's inherent in all GDI engines. Fuel is is injected directly onto the piston and not anywhere near the back side of the intake valve. Why again don't Hyundai GDI engines have a dirty intake valve problem? If some how they don't I'm glad as ****.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Why did the head have to come off? what was the failure? what caused the failure? was there lack of maintenance IE wrong weight oil or the infamous oil pan leak or sludge in the motor? turbo only issue? Sorry for all the questions but this post is worrisome

I have taken the head off a Sonata turbo @ 30k and the valves were "caked" and no chemical alone was going to take that off, a service like this should probably be recommended every 15k.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thank you so much for clearing this up for us. This is a non issue per you and sbr711 you have only seen1 and he has seen none. If any one in here is concerned get the BG induction service i posted once a year and take this stuff out of your head for the our engine. They have been on the road for 5 years strong and there is no issue. Use the top tier gas for the fuel system and or add techtron one full take before an oil change. I thank you and Sbr711 for settling and proving with experience this NOT a Theta ll issue, it is a FORD issue probably from the use of an egr valve and there design of there pcv flow.

It had a misfire honestly every month. We swapped the plugs around, sent it out, came back same code. Swapped coils, new coils, plugs, everything. Finally we pulled the intake and saw the valves.

I do NOT remember if the maintenance was kept up perfectly, but being a turbo with a lot of blowby ( not sure if he romped on it a lot), it was only this case I've seen.

I found this, too.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/109694-direct-injection-question-carbon-buildup.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep that clears it up. That Theta GDI engine is one miracle baby without any induction issues to worry about. Just keep using top tier and a little BG and you got it made. Like you say....no issues here.

·
Registered
859 Posts
wow this was a hard one. thank god we a some great hyundai techs on here! all because of a found on road dead video! lol

Yep that clears it up. That Theta GDI engine is one miracle baby without any induction issues to worry about. Just keep using top tier and a little BG and you got it made. Like you say....no issues here.

·
Registered
859 Posts
FYI. I am having the BG Induction service done on Monday and I know the shop so i will ask them if i can take a video of it. or at least some pictures. He said BG guarantees the service as long as you do it once a year. Other Words they will cover your loss if any failures or lack of performance are due to carbon build up and there is no additional fee for that insurance or should i call it assurance. 75 bucks a year...can't beat that! I also noticed a few Kia dealers on BG website so apparently dealers are starting to embrace this as well. To bad ford doesn't. Oh and forget the dealers they wanted 179 for the same job lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Carbon-buildup could be caused by blow-off oil. Fuel isn't going to contaminate a valve. But burnt oil(fumes & droplets) would.

AFAIK the SFS does not have an oil catch can, in other words, any fumes would be vented back into the intake manifold and thus would touch the valves.

It's like pooring oil on a hot BBQ and then hang over it with your head for 10 minutes. You'd be coated with burnt oil. Literally.

Now that depends on where any blow-off oil(fumes) enters the engine.

An option is to install an oil catch can, which would collect (most) of that oil (droplets etc) which would have to be emptied now and then. They're the size of a can of Coke or less.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I would like to see pics inside the ports of the backside of valves before service,, and then pics again after...

Somebody taking intake off 2x :)

41 - 60 of 71 Posts