Hyundai Forums banner

GDI Engine Cleaning - CRC Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner

91K views 120 replies 41 participants last post by  HSpeed 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
So my 2016 Tucson Limited 1.6T is just about two years old and has about 34K km's on it.

I've found myself on youtube last weekend, deep in the rabbits hole and stumbled on how all GDI engines are prone to carbonization buildup.

I found that some of the best stuff on the market right now (aside from installing oil catch cans - which I plan on doing soon) is CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner. (Link here - GDI IVD? Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner, 311 Grams - Cleaner/Degreaser - Automotive)

Has anyone tried this out? I'm trying to find the correct spot to spray this stuff into, but can't find a good access point to the intake manifold.

I've also been recommended spraying towards the back in the throttle body - but wouldn't that go through the intercooler before heading into the intake manifold? I'm not sure if that's the best spot to spray it.

I took it into the dealer last week before work, and had a service tech call one of the mechanics from the back to help me understand the best place to spray the can. I was shocked he didn't know where would be best, and it seemed the service tech was a little embarrassed.

They both ultimately told me to just return the bottle, and it wasn't necessary.

I'm going on a roadtrip from Calgary to Kelowna (700 kms) on Wednesday and have an oil change scheduled for tomorrow.

Don't think i'll be able to spray this can in before the roadtrip, but hopefully someone has some experience and can help me out!

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#111 ·
Hey Y'all. I've never done a CRC spray and I'm really consider doing it this coming weekend. I'm sitting at 70K miles and never done the GDI Intake cleaner before. Will it be safe to do it at this point or do you think it will cause more harm than good?

Also, would you recommend to spray it at the PCV Valve or Through the air intake where the air filter is? I'm just a little worried about the MAF sensor and not too sure where it is located.

Thank you all!

#112 ·
Hey Y'all. I've never done a CRC spray and I'm really consider doing it this coming weekend.
If you're not having any symptoms I recommend against it.
If liquid collects in the intake it can later go into the engine all at once and cause hydrolock.
Bits of debris can come off the valves, go into the cat converter, and damage it.
BTW, 2016+ Tucson does not have a MAF sensor.

#116 ·
Usually would just remove the large air intake hose from the air box (referenced by yellow arrow) and spray directly into it, to reach the impeller / throttle body.
However, per the following video below photo, believe the hose circled in red can be used as well;

2016 Hyundai Veloster DCT Turbo, CRC engine treatment cleaning the top end

#120 · (Edited)
Apologies for not inquiring sooner in the discussion however, wanted to confirm if any of the methods for delivering the CRC cleaner (directly into throttle body / impeller via air intake, directly into manifold vacuum line or directly into PVC line), are a more direct route to the valves to be cleaned than the other. Example replies below;
Reply #46 - Also there's a little vacuum line that you can take off on the intake manifold, some intake cleaners come out of a can and can be shot right down that . (If there is vacuum you can feel with your finger) ) that is going to get your cleaner shot into the engine.
Reply # 78 - I drive a 2017 Elantra Sport, with the 1.6L T-GDI engine. My dealer service advisor was not very helpful in identifying the correct vacuum hose to spray the CRC Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner into.
Reply #87 - procedure used to spray CRC Intake Valve & Turbo cleaner into throttle body.
Reply #91 - PCV valve location
Thought perhaps by spraying via air intake, the turbo / intercooler would benefit but not make it to the Valves? If Sprayed into the Air intake / PCV vacuum hose, it will reach the valves but maybe not the turbo & intercooler?
I believe adding a good cleaner to the fuel tank (Red Line 60103 SI-1 or Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus), will benifit keeping the fuel injectors clean, even if not asising with avoiding valve carbon build up.

#121 ·
I understand when performing the CRI cleaning procedure, it can be difficult keeping the engine at the recommended 2000 RPMs, without the assistance of another individual pressing the accelerator pedal or wedging something onto the accelerator pedal to keep the constant 2000 RPMs during the procedure. I've sometime ago obtained the Lisle 48700 Throttle Pedal Depressor, and works great! The Lisle hooks around the steering wheel. Other similar devices like the BILITOOLS 28 Inch Brake Pedal Depressor, use the seat to wedge the tool;

Lisle 48700

Gesture Finger Cartoon Art Font

BILITOOLS 28

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.