Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are people doing oil change post CRC? Did my 2.0 Tucson today with impressive clattering, smoke and bogging for a few seconds afterwards.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Walnut blast is effective & efficient.

STOP WITH THE waste of money & potential damage with these so called "cleaners"

Gamma's don't like this crap & have proven nothing.

Reactions: Circuitsmith

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Are people doing oil change post CRC? Did my 2.0 Tucson today with impressive clattering, smoke and bogging for a few seconds afterwards.
Yes, oil change afterwards. I did another OCI about 500 miles later. But if I were a member here that does 5-7k OCIs, I'd do it sooner than 500 miles. My oil changes are every approx 3.5k. So I know my used engine oil isn't smelling like fuel. I know my used oil isn't saturated yet with with soot / carbon..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, oil change afterwards. I did another OCI about 500 miles later. But if I were a member here that does 5-7k OCIs, I'd do it sooner than 500 miles. My oil changes are every approx 3.5k. So I know my used engine oil isn't smelling like fuel. I know my used oil isn't saturated yet with with soot / carbon..
What oil do you utilize if you don't mind me asking as well as filters?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
So my 2016 Tucson Limited 1.6T is just about two years old and has about 34K km's on it.

I've found myself on youtube last weekend, deep in the rabbits hole and stumbled on how all GDI engines are prone to carbonization buildup.

I found that some of the best stuff on the market right now (aside from installing oil catch cans - which I plan on doing soon) is CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner. (Link here - GDI IVD? Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner, 311 Grams - Cleaner/Degreaser - Automotive)

Has anyone tried this out? I'm trying to find the correct spot to spray this stuff into, but can't find a good access point to the intake manifold.

I've also been recommended spraying towards the back in the throttle body - but wouldn't that go through the intercooler before heading into the intake manifold? I'm not sure if that's the best spot to spray it.

I took it into the dealer last week before work, and had a service tech call one of the mechanics from the back to help me understand the best place to spray the can. I was shocked he didn't know where would be best, and it seemed the service tech was a little embarrassed.

They both ultimately told me to just return the bottle, and it wasn't necessary.

I'm going on a roadtrip from Calgary to Kelowna (700 kms) on Wednesday and have an oil change scheduled for tomorrow.

Don't think i'll be able to spray this can in before the roadtrip, but hopefully someone has some experience and can help me out!

Thanks guys!
You need to find a dealer with a mechanic that THEY SENT TO SCHOOL!! ANY mechanic AT "a dealership" should be able to tell you!!! And if not, KNOW SOMEONE who does!!
Bottom line, DON'T DO IT YOURSELF! Take it and your can to an EXPERIENCED mechanic!

·
Registered
67 Posts

Walnut blast is effective & efficient.

STOP WITH THE waste of money & potential damage with these so called "cleaners"

Gamma's don't like this crap & have proven nothing.
Actually my car ran a lot better after a treatment - much smoother. I tried to find a place that does the walnut blasting but no luck. Even called the dealer who tried to sell me the BG intake service which appears to essentially be the CRC treatment with a fancier dispenser.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Actually my car ran a lot better after a treatment - much smoother. I tried to find a place that does the walnut blasting but no luck. Even called the dealer who tried to sell me the BG intake service which appears to essentially be the CRC treatment with a fancier dispenser.
Have you done a before & after pics of your intake valves? Do you own a borescope?

Feeling vs knowing?!?

Here's a little advice if you don't wanna walnut blast: Don't spray pre turbo. "Ford Tech Makuloco" on YouTube has made videos on cleaning intake valves on Ford GDi engines. The cleaning solutions are actually not recommended by Ford. Walnut media blasting would be best for cleaning the intake valves. DO NOT spray this into the J pipe. That could be very bad.

Reactions: Oklagp1200r

·
Registered
67 Posts
No turbo here - I have the 2.0. I would love to have it walnut blasted - it has 95k miles and plan on keeping it for a while. I looked at the valves post-treatment and they are still gunked up.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Find an independent auto repair that works on Hyundai and Kia vehicles. The CRC does not remove chunks for a reason. It's a product that's really meant for 10k mileage and every 10k. Start using it early in engine life and delay the walnut blasting for 100k at-least.
Keep the PCV clear. Use top-tier fuel - use non-ethanol gas when possible - use thick Dexos oils ( Dexos 1 or Dexos 2 in 5w30).
Actually I use a 50-50 blend of both in 5w30. These things help delay the engine damaging buildup.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Perform the CRC GDI Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner right before oil change is recommended. To assist with keeping steady RPM's during the procedure, either wedge a PVC pipe between seat and gas pedal or obtain a Throttle Pedal Depressor (Lisle 48700 appears to be good).
BG EPR PN 109 engine flush before oil change. DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Add one 11-ounce (325 ml) can of BG EPR to 4-6 quart/Liter capacity crankcase. Start engine, bring to full operating temperature and run engine for a minimum of 10 minutes at 1200 RPM. Shut off engine, drain oil and remove old oil filter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Y'all. I've never done a CRC spray and I'm really consider doing it this coming weekend. I'm sitting at 70K miles and never done the GDI Intake cleaner before. Will it be safe to do it at this point or do you think it will cause more harm than good?

Also, would you recommend to spray it at the PCV Valve or Through the air intake where the air filter is? I'm just a little worried about the MAF sensor and not too sure where it is located.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hey Y'all. I've never done a CRC spray and I'm really consider doing it this coming weekend.
If you're not having any symptoms I recommend against it.
If liquid collects in the intake it can later go into the engine all at once and cause hydrolock.
Bits of debris can come off the valves, go into the cat converter, and damage it.
BTW, 2016+ Tucson does not have a MAF sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I popped off the pcv valve suction tube and sprayed into the tube. Did mine at about 25k miles. I saw a slight uptick in mileage which I assumed is from the cleaning. Also was the beginning of summer, so it could have just been a warm weather mileage increase. At least I feel as though I am heading off a possible carbon buildup. More of a preventive maintenance than anything.
Hi I'm currently doing mine. On the pcv are you spraying directly into the spout off of intake? I just want to confirm correect flow direction.
Please see pics I attached. #1 shows the pcv vac line off and arrow towards intake spout. #2 also shows my cold air intake inlet after I removed it. Ive seen procedure to also spray into this but I don't know how affective. Should I just do pcv spout or combination of both? Thanks

101 - 113 of 113 Posts