Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this GDI cleanings before? I've seen videos on youtube people doing it but have not seen one done in the 2016 Tucson model. My engine is the (Limited) 1.6L Turbo. I have no idea where to spray this since I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to cars. Can anyone help me figure where I need to be spraying this?

Also needed some opinions in between those two brands to see if you had better experience with one brand than the other.

Thank you all so much for your help!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've only used Sea Foam, although I haven't heard anything bad about GDI cleaner. I plumb mine straight into the PCV port on the intake, unfortunately I don't have any images of me doing it. Next time I'll take some, be in a few weeks anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only used Sea Foam, although I haven't heard anything bad about GDI cleaner. I plumb mine straight into the PCV port on the intake, unfortunately I don't have any images of me doing it. Next time I'll take some, be in a few weeks anyway.
Anyway you can snap a quick photo and just indicate me which one it is? lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Conveniently, I did my Sea Foam service and oil change yesterday. I actually have two hoses that I've jammed together to fit the vacuum port at the top of the throttle body. The vacuum chamber on the intake manifold is easier to access, but I prefer to be as close to the back of the throttle plate as possible for better dispersion.

The first time I did it I went off a PCV port on the intake boot from the air filter but I decided I didn't really feel like having it run through the turbo and intercooler.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Conveniently, I did my Sea Foam service and oil change yesterday. I actually have two hoses that I've jammed together to fit the vacuum port at the top of the throttle body. The vacuum chamber on the intake manifold is easier to access, but I prefer to be as close to the back of the throttle plate as possible for better dispersion.

The first time I did it I went off a PCV port on the intake boot from the air filter but I decided I didn't really feel like having it run through the turbo and intercooler.

View attachment 449125 View attachment 449126

Thanks for the picture information. Is the tube connected to your can the one that comes out of the PCV Valve that is connected to the engine? The one that is in the upper portion from the PCV? If so, I'm just afraid that oil will start to leak that is coming out of the pcv valve, did you have to block it with something or put some paper towel underneath it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The hose I took off was actually a vacuum supply line off the top of the throttle body, so no PCV lines were disconnected. Without vacuum there won't be any brake booster assist or turbo diverter valve operation (and possibly wastegate, can't remember if it's electrical or vacuum there) so don't drive it with the hose off but for the purposes of spraying a GDI cleaner at a stop with the park brake on it's fine. The hose with the bolt in it is the vacuum hose, I plugged it off to prevent anything from getting blown into it by the rad fan while the engine was running.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hose I took off was actually a vacuum supply line off the top of the throttle body, so no PCV lines were disconnected. Without vacuum there won't be any brake booster assist or turbo diverter valve operation (and possibly wastegate, can't remember if it's electrical or vacuum there) so don't drive it with the hose off but for the purposes of spraying a GDI cleaner at a stop with the park brake on it's fine. The hose with the bolt in it is the vacuum hose, I plugged it off to prevent anything from getting blown into it by the rad fan while the engine was running.

I think I almost got everything you said on the previous reply and this one. I'll see if I can take a quick video showing and maybe saying the things that I'm about to perform and post it back here to make sure I'm doing it right. I really really appreciate all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts