Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you would be interested in a DRL-delete module? As I understand it, in the US-spec Sonatas, there is no visible fuse or relay or switch that you can use to easily switch off the DRL.

When we made our angel eye headlights and posted on our site yesterday, someone here suggested that a method of connecting the angel eyes to the DRL and simultaneously killing the high-beam DRL would be useful.

I think we should be able to make a relatively simple module to accomplish this.

It would basically consist of our wiring harness adapter with an SPDT relay wired in, and you would simply plug in the harness between your headlights and the wiring harness coming from the car. You would have to splice in one wire to the high beam power wire found in the car, but otherwise, there would be no modifications or splicing needed.

Expected pricing would be around US$55~60 range.

Using this module would allow the customer to simply delete the DRL and/or use any LED lighting source such as our headlight angel eyes as DRLs.

Please post comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Oh man, you had me all excited until I got to the 'splicing' part. I just want the DRLs disabled, but I'm not willing to touch the wiring, so unless you can come up with a 'plug-and-play' solution, I'm going to pass. But thanks for your effort. I'm sure plenty of folks won't mind splicing one wire, especially if they want the 'angel eyes' (I don't). Take care.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ Oct 4 2010, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360885
How many of you would be interested in a DRL-delete module? As I understand it, in the US-spec Sonatas, there is no visible fuse or relay or switch that you can use to easily switch off the DRL.

When we made our angel eye headlights and posted on our site yesterday, someone here suggested that a method of connecting the angel eyes to the DRL and simultaneously killing the high-beam DRL would be useful.

I think we should be able to make a relatively simple module to accomplish this.

It would basically consist of our wiring harness adapter with an SPDT relay wired in, and you would simply plug in the harness between your headlights and the wiring harness coming from the car. You would have to splice in one wire to the high beam power wire found in the car, but otherwise, there would be no modifications or splicing needed.

Expected pricing would be around US$55~60 range.

Using this module would allow the customer to simply delete the DRL and/or use any LED lighting source such as our headlight angel eyes as DRLs.

Please post comments or suggestions.
No, but how about a Bi-Xenon kit for the low beam location? As you probably know, its just a single HID in an eliptical-lens housing that has a "shutter" on a solenoid that flips back and forth to move the cutoff shield out of the way for highbeam vs. lowbeam operation. Hella sells a 90mm module for about $500 (each) but since all we need is a mechanism to move the existing shield out of the way, I was going to "dive in" at some point to see if the stock shield could be put on a pivot to accomplish the same thing. This would leave the DRL circuit and highbeam area free for abuse/customization. ;)

link to hella (hella expensive!) bi-xenon module:

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-009997021-Bi-X...e/dp/B0030Z66BE

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 4 2010, 10:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360891
Oh man, you had me all excited until I got to the 'splicing' part. I just want the DRLs disabled, but I'm not willing to touch the wiring, so unless you can come up with a 'plug-and-play' solution, I'm going to pass. But thanks for your effort. I'm sure plenty of folks won't mind splicing one wire, especially if they want the 'angel eyes' (I don't). Take care.
Well, keep in mind, that we don't have DRLs in Korea, so I'm just working off information that I read on the web about how the DRL works.

From what I can tell, it's not possible to do without splicing, because we need the signal wire from the actual high beam in order to tell the relay what not to use, in this case the DRL.

The only other option is if there were a fuse for the high beam, we can basically piggyback off of that, but from what I've read, there isn't even a fuse for the high beam in the cabin or engine room. If there is a fuse, we should be able to do it without any splicing at all.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (robspeedGLS @ Oct 4 2010, 10:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360892
No, but how about a Bi-Xenon kit for the low beam location? As you probably know, its just a single HID in an eliptical-lens housing that has a "shutter" on a solenoid that flips back and forth to move the cutoff shield out of the way for highbeam vs. lowbeam operation. Hella sells a 90mm module for about $500 (each) but since all we need is a mechanism to move the existing shield out of the way, I was going to "dive in" at some point to see if the stock shield could be put on a pivot to accomplish the same thing. This would leave the DRL circuit and highbeam area free for abuse/customization. ;)

link to hella (hella expensive!) bi-xenon module:

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-009997021-Bi-X...e/dp/B0030Z66BE
This wouldn't reduce any complexity from the initial problem, because there is only one wire leading into the headlights for the high beam power/DRL. In order to power the Bi-Xenon kit with just low/high beams, and no DRLs, you still would have to bring a dedicated high-beam wire to the headlights, in this case, from he cabin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts