Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sonata is a 2013 and even though it's a Limited, it had boring gauges. I bought 2014 "Supervision" gauges on eBay and they look amazing. The mileage on the new gauges had to be adjusted because the mileage is stored in the actual gauge cluster, not the computer.

My Santa Fe is also a 2013 and also has boring GLS gauges (see pics). I'd like to swap to the Limited style gauges. Have any of you done this? The plugs all appear to be the same throughout the model years, and it doesn't look like it matters if it's a Sport or XL. I'll attach the pictures of the two styles I'm talking about. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just based on knowledge of general electronics and computers I would guess with the upgraded gauge cluster the computer controller might need to be changed or flashed to support the new features.

This is just a general assumption having researched cluster changes in other vehicles I have owned over the years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just based on knowledge of general electronics and computers I would guess with the upgraded gauge cluster the computer controller might need to be changed or flashed to support the new features.

This is just a general assumption having researched cluster changes in other vehicles I have owned over the years.
That's what I'm wondering. In the Sonata, it was not a problem. Hopefully someone has swapped already and knows the answer!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have to agree that the gauges look nice and the fuel gauge might be easier to read at a quick glance. The speedometer and Tachometer needles seem to stand out better. The driver information center is a bit too cluttered for my taste though. I assume that the balance of the warning lights are relocated to the dark area of the tachometer?

All in all.....Probably not something I'd invest in, but everyone's taste is different.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My guess is that modification would be very, very expensive, even if it's just an easy swap without having to flash anything (but I imagine you'd have to at least have the mileage corrected or you'd have to disclose that the mileage was not accurate if/when you sold it in the future.. decreasing the value, I imagine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess is that modification would be very, very expensive, even if it's just an easy swap without having to flash anything (but I imagine you'd have to at least have the mileage corrected or you'd have to disclose that the mileage was not accurate if/when you sold it in the future.. decreasing the value, I imagine.
What part about it do you think would be expensive? I've seen the clusters on eBay in the $100-$150 range. The mileage adjustment can be done easily and is not expensive. When I swapped the cluster in my Sonata it literally took me 5 minutes. I'm thinking I might buy a cluster and just see what happens.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What part about it do you think would be expensive? I've seen the clusters on eBay in the $100-$150 range. The mileage adjustment can be done easily and is not expensive. When I swapped the cluster in my Sonata it literally took me 5 minutes. I'm thinking I might buy a cluster and just see what happens.

If they're that inexpensive, I'd go for it and see what happens!

I come from the Jeep world where things were fairly readily available and fairly inexpensive to buy from other people parting them out. I guess I just figured since the satnav radio is several thousand bucks to replace, people would charge an arm and a leg for clusters. Supply and demand? I guess not.. lol!

I'll never find a Santa Fe DM in my local pick-n-pull yards though!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you end up swapping the cluster? I'm going to do the same but want to be sure before I buy the new cluster since I live in a 3rd world country and will have to rely on the internet for parts and information. I know the mileage in stored in HEX format in the EEPROM chip in the instrument cluster, which can be reprogrammed. or you can just swap the EEPROM chip from the old cluster to the new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts