Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I might be an extreme case:
It's been 3 months and 600 miles since I did an oil change.
At oil changes I carefully fill to the max line, and now the level is about 1/4" over.
However, the oil doesn't smell like raw gas.
I'm sure the winter cold starts aggravate the issue.
I generally drive only on the weekends (bike to work M-F), plus a 14 mile round trip to band rehearsal Tuesday nights.
That, plus a couple road trips adds up to 5-6000 miles a year.
Due to the virus for the last 3 weeks I've only been making 3 mile round trips to grocery stores (4 are that close) once a week.
When I've made this run in freezing weather the dash MPG display has been as low as 11.x MPG.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I might be an extreme case:
It's been 3 months and 600 miles since I did an oil change.
At oil changes I carefully fill to the max line, and now the level is about 1/4" over.
However, the oil doesn't smell like raw gas.
I'm sure the winter cold starts aggravate the issue.
I generally drive only on the weekends (bike to work M-F), plus a 14 mile round trip to band rehearsal Tuesday nights.
That, plus a couple road trips adds up to 5-6000 miles a year.
Due to the virus for the last 3 weeks I've only been making 3 mile round trips to grocery stores (4 are that close) once a week.
When I've made this run in freezing weather the dash MPG display has been as low as 11.x MPG.
Did you check the oil when engine was hot or cold...oil will expand when hot .
I have noticed this 1/4" rise also but no smell of raw gas but never got any higher. I owned a 2017 Honda CRV and that issue was terrible
I got rid of that CRV in 1 year because of this major problem and Honda was no help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just bought 2020 Sante Fe w/ 2.0 GDI. I have about 270 miles on it now. After reading this forum I'm a little concerned about the oil dilution issue. I went out and pulled the dipstick and oil level is a little less than a 1/4" over full mark.
I smelled the oil and it had a different smell to it. Smelled kinda like PB Blaster (nut buster penetrate). Do they use a special oil during break-in? Also in my manual it does say to keep RPM's between 2000 and 4000 for the first 600 miles for break-in.
Maybe that is important for the rings to seat and if done right maybe it will cut down on oil dilution.
I guess I will have to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
222 Posts
Just bought 2020 Sante Fe w/ 2.0 GDI. I have about 270 miles on it now. After reading this forum I'm a little concerned about the oil dilution issue. I went out and pulled the dipstick and oil level is a little less than a 1/4" over full mark.
I smelled the oil and it had a different smell to it. Smelled kinda like PB Blaster (nut buster penetrate). Do they use a special oil during break-in? Also in my manual it does say to keep RPM's between 2000 and 4000 for the first 600 miles for break-in.
Maybe that is important for the rings to seat and if done right maybe it will cut down on oil dilution.
I guess I will have to keep an eye on it.
I believe the consensus was they used semi-synthetic as original oil....Even though you may break in your engine correctly, you may still experience oil dilution. You should have an oil analysis performed to verify when u change your oil. My last oil analysis confirmed oil dilution...

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I'm sorry the oil you use has nothing to do with oil dilution. Unfortunately the design of direct injection engines allows a lot of fuel to be sprayed onto the cylinder wall particularly during cold startup and it accumulates unless you drive a long distance after each startup. I know from experience the spray is super fine but alas some gets onto the cylinder wall and gets scraped down into the oil by the rings. Saying this start your engine and drive at least 50kms to allow it to vaporise in the sump and burn off through the PCV system. Sorry if I have no answer for most of us.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
My Gen Coupe 2L T has oil dilution problems. Not much you can do but get it tested a couple of times and see when it needs changed. I had mine tested at 5k miles and they said the dilution was starting but not bad enough to change. I change at 5k miles and use a 0w40 oil. But generally there will be around a half pint more oil when I change than what I fill with.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
567 Posts
About 1/4" above 'F' seems to be consensus in this thread. I knew this issue on the CRV, but didn't know it is an inherent issue for direct injection and worst on turbos. Otherwise I would have gotten the Passport, or kept my 07 V6 Sonata which was running great.

Will monitor the condition in the warm season, I expect it to improve.

What about using a higher viscosity oil?

121 - 129 of 129 Posts