Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the 953 Recall done and had the oil done Dec 26th. 2019 at 12492 Miles. Checked the oil level and it was right near the full mark. Today, 601 miles later, I checked the oil and it again (cold) and is way above the full mark!!! Of course, it smells heavily of gasoline. This is not good. View attachment 444815
So, here was on a Sunday morning siphoning oil from the dipstick tube because of this problem. The oil is so diluted. This is not a winter issue for me, this happened to me when I drove a 2000 mile round trip to TN last summer, temps in the high 90's. I'm gonna carry these into the dealer tomorrow and make them explain why. This is how much I had to take out to bring the level to the full mark! These are1 quart Mason jars.
Drip 3 2020-02-16_23-47-56.jpg

·
Registered
498 Posts
bkjjohn good thing you got ithe excess oil out. gaskets & engine seals dont like all that oil puts alot of pressure up against them until they leak.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Works great if you confuse a bottle of acid for motor oil when refilling your engine. Your engine isn't made out of 'hands'.
Coat your hands in Rolaids or Tums, Maalox, or Phillips MilkO'Mag... toss some in your engine? Ash type additive that adds to LSPI?
Seems that BG knows this and has 3 different PN's for MOA now: Engine | BG Products, Inc.

Motor oil is a great barrier for your engine.

Concerning oil additives, one shouldn't educate themselves via youtube videos.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Oh. ok say did replacing the fuel cap last time on your elantra turn off the engine light.?? im curious to know.?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
So, here was on a Sunday morning siphoning oil from the dipstick tube because of this problem. The oil is so diluted. This is not a winter issue for me, this happened to me when I drove a 2000 mile round trip to TN last summer, temps in the high 90's. I'm gonna carry these into the dealer tomorrow and make them explain why. This is how much I had to take out to bring the level to the full mark! These are1 quart Mason jars.
View attachment 444864
someone mentioned a leak in the high pressure fuel pump - if you haven't I'd mention that to the dealer, asking to have that checked. They can leak into the cam area as a prior post mentioned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
And as to the 953 campaign. ALL it does is make the knock sensors more sensitive to detect when the engine is starting to blow up. It will go into limp mode and will not let you go full throttle or go over 70 mph. It will blink the check engine light at you and lets you have some time before it blows up. Before this the engine would break a rod or lock the engine up and you would be stranded. ALL the engines still have shavings in them. Even the replacement engines. Thinner or thicker oil will do nothing to keep your engine from blowing do to the shavings. Fact of life all of us with this engine, it is just a matter of time before most will have a blown engine. Good thing is that most dealers have done a lot of swaps and have gotten real good at it and what needs to be disconnected and reconnected. That much gas in that oil is the high pressure fuel pump leaking in the engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
And as to the 953 campaign. ALL it does is make the knock sensors more sensitive to detect when the engine is starting to blow up. It will go into limp mode and will not let you go full throttle or go over 70 mph. It will blink the check engine light at you and lets you have some time before it blows up. Before this the engine would break a rod or lock the engine up and you would be stranded. ALL the engines still have shavings in them. Even the replacement engines. Thinner or thicker oil will do nothing to keep your engine from blowing do to the shavings. Fact of life all of us with this engine, it is just a matter of time before most will have a blown engine. Good thing is that most dealers have done a lot of swaps and have gotten real good at it and what needs to be disconnected and reconnected. That much gas in that oil is the high pressure fuel pump leaking in the engine.
"ALL the engines still have shavings in them. Even the replacement engines."
How about some info on this statement? Has your engine on your 2018 model blown up?
I can,t believe all the misinformation on these blogs.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
618 Posts
Oh, the oil filter cannot trap the shavings? The shavings, if any, would ended up in the pan bottom. Also, the oil pump has a mesh screen. I don't get the metal shavings killing the engine o_O

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
618 Posts
No, not relevant. The large pieces stay at the bottom. Microscopic pieces that might be suspended in the oil are trapped in the oil filter. They are drained out from the oil change, might take a few changes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
View attachment 444864
Yesterday I went to the dealer and I spoke with a Hyundai service manager of 20 years, extremely knowledgeable and forthcoming. He's seen this before (up to 2qts over full with no engine damage) and said it could be multiple things citing cases of faulty fuel injector(s) or the fuel pump... among other things. He knew what Hyundai will be looking for and they have a procedure in place for this so they started by changing the oil and they are now doing a reverse "oil consumption test". I'm to return after 500 miles for them to check the oil. If it shows high, they will move forward to diagnose the engine components. No charge. They will also give me a loaner while this is being done. At this time I'm satisfied with this approach.

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
438 Posts
agree unless it's Andy Granatelli, educating on how to best a stronger competitor while wearing a trench coat 2 sizes too small.
Please edit your post and remove the lie. I did not say what you claim I did. See post #84.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
74 Posts
Yesterday I went to the dealer and I spoke with a Hyundai service manager of 20 years, extremely knowledgeable and forthcoming. He's seen this before (up to 2qts over full with no engine damage) and said it could be multiple things citing cases of faulty fuel injector(s) or the fuel pump... among other things. He knew what Hyundai will be looking for and they have a procedure in place for this so they started by changing the oil and they are now doing a reverse "oil consumption test". I'm to return after 500 miles for them to check the oil. If it shows high, they will move forward to diagnose the engine components. No charge. They will also give me a loaner while this is being done. At this time I'm satisfied with this approach.
Thank you for letting us know about the follow up! I hope you will be kind enough to let us know any additional updates

·
Registered
41 Posts
According to the lawsuit, the Hyundai and Kia Theta II engines are designed in a way that places too much stress on the components, especially the lubrication systems.
The engines use gasoline direct injection (GDI) technology to spray fuel directly into the combustion chambers. The lawsuit alleges previous engines used something called "port injection" that involved multiport fuel injection technology.
Montreal plaintiff Ludovic Pelletant purchased a new 2012 Kia Sportage equipped with a 2.4 liter engine. The plaintiff says he was driving on a highway when the vehicle lost power and shut off. He had it towed to his mechanic and was told he should take it to the Kia dealership.
The dealership allegedly said the engine was shot and needed to be replaced, and after two weeks he was still waiting to hear from Kia about what will happen. But the plaintiff says he will have to pay for an engine replacement if Kia doesn't cover the cost.
The Hyundai and Kia Theta II engines allegedly have metal debris left over from manufacturing that damage the connecting rods which wears out the connecting rod bearings. This allegedly results in a loss of oil pressure that activates the engine warning light before the vehicle stalls.
In many cases the vehicles catch fire because the engines burns up from a lack of oil lubrication.
The vehicles named in the lawsuit allegedly can't keep running correctly even when they are maintained properly because the lubrication channels clog from debris and the oil can't be pumped through the engines and can't return to the oil pans.
It's the oil starvation that wears out the engine components and eventually causes the connecting rod bearings to fracture.
More damage is allegedly caused when metal debris clogs the oil filters and causes excessive pressure that builds up in the filters, causing the oil filter bypass valves to open. This allegedly allows unfiltered contaminated oil to recirculate throughout the engines, causing even more dangers and an increased risk of fires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The above is what I am talking about. IF they had fixed the issue your 2020 or 2019 or 2018 would not need the 953 knock sensor upgrade. IF they had engines that did not have this metal in them they would be using them in new cars. Its that simple. I have not tore down one of there re-man replacement engines to know but if its a new engine its got metal in it. They all do.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts