Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum here.

We have purchased a 2019 Santa Fe ultimate 2.0T in Nov 2018, and I have been doing my own oil changes since. I have changed it at 2000 miles, and another time at 5000 miles, and what I have noticed is that the oil level on the dip stick would rise as more miles have accumulated. So this last oil change, I only put in 5 qt of oil (full synthetic 5w-30), and verified that the oil lvl was JUST BELOW the top mark after the change. As time went on and another 3000 miles, the oil lvl is showing about 1/4 inch above the top mark. Yes, the car was flat and cold. Has anyone else noticed this gasoline dilution issue? It is quite significant. I did go to the dealer and they want me to start changing the oil there and go back intermittently for them to check the oil levels themselves, so to document everything. Just curious about others with the same 2.0T engine. Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
You could send a sample off to a lab, like Blackstone, where they will analyze your sample for all sorts of things including fuel in the sample. For what it's worth, my 1.6 L GDI has never had any measurable fuel in the 3 oil samples I've sent to them. You would know for sure then, what is causing a rise in level on the dipstick Chunk.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How would you translate 1/4" above the full mark? 1/2 quart? Do you think a half a quart of fuel that has been sprayed into the combustion chamber ended up in the crankcase? If this were the case you'd likely have fuel pouring out of the tail pipe. I don't think you're allowing for the oil to fully drain to the crankcase before measuring or there is residual oil in lines that is not being accounted for. There is also a recent post of a Blackstone analysis and it didn't reflect anything unusual. On the other hand water could raise the level but you didn't say the oil look emulsified. Have you checked the coolant level?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would you translate 1/4" above the full mark? 1/2 quart? Do you think a half a quart of fuel that has been sprayed into the combustion chamber ended up in the crankcase? If this were the case you'd likely have fuel pouring out of the tail pipe. I don't think you're allowing for the oil to fully drain to the crankcase before measuring or there is residual oil in lines that is not being accounted for. There is also a recent post of a Blackstone analysis and it didn't reflect anything unusual. On the other hand water could raise the level but you didn't say the oil look emulsified. Have you checked the coolant level?
All measurements were taken after the car has been cooled off over night and before the first start of the day. It definitely has risen significantly over the past three months/3000 Miles. Since I have noticed the issue, I have been checking it pretty consistently every two weeks, the rise has been steady. Coolant level has been the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could send a sample off to a lab, like Blackstone, where they will analyze your sample for all sorts of things including fuel in the sample. For what it's worth, my 1.6 L GDI has never had any measurable fuel in the 3 oil samples I've sent to them. You would know for sure then, what is causing a rise in level on the dipstick Chunk.
I will be sending them samples for sure, and I hope that this would be an exception to the rule for these new 2.0T engines. Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
AFAIK oil dilution is a fairly common issue for which there are several threads. My 2014 2.0T does it. Seems worse in Winter. I usually have the nearest Hyundai dealer do my oil changes but one time I took it to the dealer that sold me the vehicle. They put in less oil (was at the add mark). When I complained to them, they said the level will rise but if it doesn't I should top it up. It rose half way and I topped it up.

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
My Gen Coupe 2L turbo does. I would not worry about the level going above full and fill it properly when the oil is changed. Better to be driving on 5 qts that are diluted than 4.5 qts or so. Be sure to use a good oil.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I observed the same oil level raise as bluyraser. The car has 1675km (1040mi) and parked at the same spot in garage. Still original oil. I checked level twice, don't remember the 1st check because it was right at the full mark and didn't record anything since it was perfect (guess 3-4 wks ago at 800km ish). Checked this morning, it is about 1/4" more, it smelled gasoline, quick flow if dip stick is upside down. Car was left over night, checked before engine start. My trip distance is 26km for 45 minutes to work.
Science question...does gasoline mix well with oil or it flows above the oil (which I should see it on dip stick)?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just an update ... checked oil level @ 2475km (800km passed). No change to the level. That is a good sign.

Maybe I did screwed up on the first check, like touched the side as the stick was pulled up; it was perfect, clear line across the top dot.
Or maybe some fuel leakage during the break in period where seals and surfaces were not settle yet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Oil level changes are a sign of extreme dilution. You can still have unacceptable fuel dilution without a rise in oil level if your engine consumes oil in "normal" use. I have >5% fuel dilution after 1200 miles on my new block (lab only measures to 5%) telling me there is a problem which I haven't had time to diagnose and remedy. I'm out of warranty and don't trust dealerships to figure it out.

I've been told by a forum member here that Hyundai's fuel injectors aren't problematic and that my issue is caused by excessive richening of the air/fuel mixture to combat knock by running anything other than 91 octane. I currently blend 87 with 91 octane 50/50 and do not wish to run 91 octane straight. Almost all driving is highway so short trips on a cold engine are not to blame.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Why would octane rating have any effect on fuel? Fuel mixture does not change with the octane level which is a measurement of it's anti knock ability. Perhaps if the engine is detonating the ECU pulls timing then it will increase fuel consomption but not to the extent of increasing oil/fuel dilution.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why would octane rating have any effect on fuel? Fuel mixture does not change with the octane level which is a measurement of it's anti knock ability. Perhaps if the engine is detonating the ECU pulls timing then it will increase fuel consomption but not to the extent of increasing oil/fuel dilution.
Fuel mixture continually changes based on the ECU map and engine parameters. The ECU pulls timing AND adds fuel when knock is detected. The higher octane fuel will reduce the tendency for detonation and allow the fuel mixture to be leaner.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't believe the ecu will inject more fuel, but will keep the optimum A/F ratio @ 14:7, but timing will be pulled.
14:7 is the theoretical (stoic) optimal a/f ratio. It will rarely, if ever, be achieved. Adding more fuel allows the manufacturer to recommend 87 octane while reducing knock, and protecting the engine, at the expense of fuel mileage (and apparently oil dilution in extreme cases.)

Example of a fuel map

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
My 2L turbo Gen Coupe suffers from this. It will increase over time and at 5k miles be up over the full mark. Had it tested once and they confirmed the issue.

Some say it is because the engine is purposely built with loose rings because turbo. I run a catch can FWIW.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts