Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have been spilling gas on my fillups because the gas pump just wouldn't stop when the tank is full. It only happens sometimes, not all the time. I was wondering if there's something wrong with my car's fuel tank/neck or is it just the gas station? The spilled gas has discoloured my tires to a brown colour and I am not sure if it is detrimental to the rubber material. Some people on the internet say it is fine while some say that it will deteriorate the rubber and cause cracks over a period of time. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Used to happen all the time :evil:

As long as the pump was going at the fastest rate, it would be fine. But lately (past 2 fill-ups) its started to happen again. Don't know if its the cold weather or what :dry:
Used to **** me off alot to know that its ruining my clean car, but I just dont care anymore since Im planning to trade her in :)

·
1,565 Posts
it will eat the paint and corrode the rubber, but over time. As long as you wipe it off your car when it happens and don't just leave it, you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Had that happen to me with my old accent.  It got on my paint, and I went to the car was and afterwords, it reappeared, so then I just wiped it off after like 3 days, and it was fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happens frequently to me too. I think the accent's filler neck is too small and it fills up too quickly for auto shutoff. If I'm all the way on E, I'll just move the pump handle down to the slowest notch after about 9.5 gallons. I've only had overspill twice since I've been doing this.

Whenever it has overspilled, i just use the window washing squeegee and wash it off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It never happened to me. On the contrary, the pump stops before my tank is full !

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I've only had it happen once, and that was because the pump was broken. It spilled 5 gallons of gas all over the ground before I noticed a splashing sound. Told the station attendant and asked for a refund of 5 gallons and I was told "oh well". But that was out in the sticks anyway. Stupid sticks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I only have 4000 miles on my car, but I would say that about 50% of the time I fill up, gas has spilled out even when I try to stop the nozzle. I don't know why is sloshes out, but it drives me nuts! I have started shoving a couple of the brown paper towels the gas station has by the squeegee's under the black rubber part of the gas pump so that if/when it comes flying out of the car, the paper towels catch the errant gas and it doesn't make a mess down the side of my car.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I slow down fuel flow when I'm nearly full. It used to overflow if I kept the thing flowing at maximum until it clicked off.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
I don't have any trouble, but I don't run the nozzle greater than the first automatic setting (or equivalent if the pump is not equipped.)  With as small as the tank is, even when empty it still doesn't take too long to fill up at that rate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts