Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time it happens, in about 5 refuelings. Pump shut off about $0.40 short of my prepaid amount, and topped it off without shutting off again so I didn't have to go inside again, or throwing those cents away :grin:. No way in h e l l (yes, that word is censored folks; hence the spacing :innocent:) that'd qualify as overfilling, as sometimes the pump shuts off earlier when at full speed, like I had it. Anyway, didn't notice anything initially, and parked the car at my house after driving about a mile and a half away. Next time I used it about an hour later, it smelled like if I had spilled fuel inside the car; WTF? After I used the car the second time it went away, but that doesn't sound right. Even if I had overfilled the crap out of the tank, the worst that should happen is you fill the charcoal canister with fuel and car throws a CEL. Comments welcome. Remember reading something like this a while ago, but don't remember if it was this car. Couldn't find anything by searching. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just filled up today, no smells other than the new ride.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
...Happened twice to someone I know - same car - 2011 Sonata. If you go past the a few clicks when filling, you will notice a raw gasoline smell. And that is with zero spillage - not even a drop. If it happens again, check the trunk - The smell is far worse in there. And there is no smell outside the car - only inside - trunk more than interior. I remember marveling that you could buy a car that would leak gasoline fumes to the interior. But lo and behold - it happens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
DMLexpert, I filled up today and noticed that I could not turn the gas cap more than one click.. Is this not the same for GLS trim levels? BTW I have an SE
and it only allows me to turn to the right until it clicks one time.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
QUOTE (zoomzoomnomore @ Oct 16 2010, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363977
DMLexpert, I filled up today and noticed that I could not turn the gas cap more than one click.. Is this not the same for GLS trim levels? BTW I have an SE
and it only allows me to turn to the right until it clicks one time.
Yes, you only turn the gas cap one click - the manual warns you to go one click only and not force the cap further. The clicks I was describing referred to the pump shutting off when the tank is full. You can add almost two gallons after the pump shutoff, but fuel vapors get into the car (and I'm not sure quite how that could happen) if adding even a gallon beyond that first pump shutoff. No trouble code was set, and the fumes subside as the extra gasoline is consumed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (DMLexpert @ Oct 16 2010, 10:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363975
And that is with zero spillage - not even a drop. If it happens again, check the trunk - The smell is far worse in there. And there is no smell outside the car - only inside - trunk more than interior. I remember marveling that you could buy a car that would leak gasoline fumes to the interior. But lo and behold - it happens.
Yeah, something is venting fumes to the atmosphere (well, inside the car first :grin:), which the evaporative emissions sytem is supposed to prevent. That's crazy. And with only 1/2-qt after clicking once with the pump at full volume (they tend to click sooner that way). Oh well.

Hey, the pump also had fuel in the nozzle so a little bit spilled inside the gas cavity; wonder if the drain hose is not connected, as that hasn't happened before. Next time I'll try to investigate. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It has happened to me as well. Not every time but I notice if I fill it up to the top (additional fuel after the initial shut off) I will get the fuel smell in the car. It usually last for a day and then it is gone.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
If you overfill the tank, the extra gets absorbed by the EVAP canister and causes damage and expensive repairs down the road.

Overfilling can happen quicker at full nozzle open and liquid displacement. Next time, go really slow or wait a longer gap of time if the top off is necessary.

·
Registered
717 Posts
No smell in mine. Also it has be proven that you are doing more harm to both the car and the environment by trying to add that extra gas after the pump shuts off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I watched an episode of How it's made a couple of months ago that talked about gas tanks in cars. They said that the fuel **** off serves a purpose for expansion in the tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (zoomzoomnomore @ Oct 18 2010, 05:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364307
I watched an episode of How it's made a couple of months ago that talked about gas tanks in cars. They said that the fuel **** off serves a purpose for expansion in the tank.

My car has a very strong gasoline smell coming inside the car from the vents but its not when I fill the tank. Its all the time. And I can smell it from outside the car as well. And also no odor in the trunk or anywhere in the rear of the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all,

Over the past couple of weeks it has gone from being a slight smell to a strong smell of gas in my Sonata which now has ~4,500 miles on it. It is not noticeable while driving but if I sit at a traffic light long enough I start to get a slight odor. The worst is if I shut the car down for 5 minutes and then jump back in and start it up - there's a very strong smell of gas through the vents which then goes away with driving. The other night I parked in my garage and had to go back in again about 10 minutes later and the garage reeked! Needless to say I'm not parking it in the garage just now and have a service appointment on Monday to check this out - quite unnerving. It sounds like fdnj48 might have a similar situation. I did some searching and found this post:

http://www.justanswer.com/hyundai/4elx1-hy...ta-problem.html

On inspecting the engine compartment, the strongest smell comes from the oil fill cap. The car has never been filled past the first click and my oil was changed at 3,000....

I'll update once I get feedback from the dealer - they better find something!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I noticed the gas smell when I was changing the oil a couple of weeks ago. I don't drive the car that much because it is my wife's so I wasn't sure if it had happened before. Then we both smelled it inside the car on NYE after making a quick stop at the store.

acrscotland, let us know what the dealer says.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 18 2010, 02:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=364284
If you overfill the tank, the extra gets absorbed by the EVAP canister and causes damage and expensive repairs down the road.

Overfilling can happen quicker at full nozzle open and liquid displacement. Next time, go really slow or wait a longer gap of time if the top off is necessary.
Yes. Going past the auto shut off has always been bad, but is even worse in modern vehicles. With all the emmisiions stuff now, you know plenty of engineering also goes into what hapens before the fuel reaches the engine. It's like going to the tiolet and going until it overflows, ( I know it wouldn't let you do that ), letting it overflow, flushing the tiolet, and then asking why it smells funny in the bathroom. This is actually a big problem for some GM vehicles. Part of the fuel you are trying to force in will end up in areas that are made to deal with vapor, and you are adding gasoline to it.

Don't be surprised if Hyundai gives you problems when you try to have it fixed. "The manual says not to top off. The labels on the fuel pumps tell you not to top off. Some fuel caps even warn you not to top off. Yet, you still do it and are upset when there's a problem? Here's your bill."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I have had my 2011 SE for just over a month and after a couple weeks I started to notice a gas smell also, it wasnt after filling up and I have not topped the tank off at any fill ups. Usualy happens or is noticed after the car is warm and I stop some where for a few minutes and then get back in. Then for a little bit I can smell a strong gas oder, usualy goes away pretty quick. Today on my way home once I got off the freeway and was in city traffic it got worse. At every light it started to become very strong. I have A call into the dealer and I'll see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
jacobdb, what you describe is exactly what I am experiencing. Let me know what your dealer comes up with - mine is going in on Monday so we'll see....seems like there might be a common issue developing :unsure:

·
Registered
36 Posts
fdnj48 - I noticed you mentioned you were getting new injectors for the gas smell (over on hyundaiforum) and I was wondering if this resolved your issue or not?

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (jacobdb @ Jan 5 2011, 05:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=387084
Hello all, I have had my 2011 SE for just over a month and after a couple weeks I started to notice a gas smell also, it wasnt after filling up and I have not topped the tank off at any fill ups. Usualy happens or is noticed after the car is warm and I stop some where for a few minutes and then get back in. Then for a little bit I can smell a strong gas oder, usualy goes away pretty quick. Today on my way home once I got off the freeway and was in city traffic it got worse. At every light it started to become very strong. I have A call into the dealer and I'll see where it goes from there.
Have the Sonata LE with 6500 miles recently had the transmission replaced with a new one "Thank you Huyndai" after the original turned out defective but ... now experiencing the same issues. Occurs after car is heated up then come to a stop or turn off and get back in and restart within 10 minutes. Will take back soon but would love to hear what you hear prior to taking it in. THANKS

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in updating you. I got my car back yesterday and of course the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. They said they tried to reproduce the smell but couldn't. They also said they inspected everything and said there were no leaks etc so sent me away (no charge, though).

I smelled it again last night so it definitely hasn't gone away, which is annoying. I think I'm going to drive it down there this weekend and have them smell it then - I know I can reproduce it and hopefully they'll take a closer look.

I'm hoping someone else with this gets closer to the source if they visit the dealer - perhaps I can ask them to look at something specifically.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts