Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Hyundai Sonata gas pump keeps shutting off like every 2 to 3 seconds. I have to halfway hold the pump leaver to get fuel in it. I noticed the car is also bad on gas now. I have no check engine light on. Help please.

·
Registered
937 Posts
That's something inside the fuel filler neck. Either the canister in there or one of the valves. If you want to do it yourself service it while the tank is near empty. Should be easy to remove it from the car, just take your time.

filler neck.JPG

See that part labeled "12" vent tube? That's where I would start if I were you.

If this is over your head then you need to take it somewhere, either the dealer or a local mechanic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the same things with my 2013 Sonata GLS - the gas would shut off every few seconds. Frustrating.

Solution was to not insert the hose fully. Instead, insert it about 3/4 of the way in. Still more than enough that there's no chance of the handle falling out if left unattended, and it'll fill up the tank without shutting off once.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Suspect vent path is restricted,, likely canister problem.... removing 12 from atmosphere side of CCV still leaves tank to vent through canister... not an ideal test

I would remove large line from canister body and try refuel as a test.. if it fill up fine and dandy,, run with canister being fouled

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Turn the nozzle all the way to the right - 90 degrees - when filling. Learned this from a Costco service attendant who has seen it all. Works every time.

This ties in with the info in post #3. Some nozzles are too long.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
So this is something the dealer will have to scan without a check light?
I can scan a module any time I want.. if there is a code, I'll find it... if there is no code,, it'll say "NO ERROR CODE FOUND"...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They did a smoke test and only found near the fuel pump the sealer was cracked. Will that cause the pump to shut off?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts