Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sonata and it takes forever to fill up the tank. Is ther anyway to completey disconnect the charcoal canister and let the vapor vent to the atmosphere?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
The Evap system handles the venting of air from the gas tank so the tank can be re-filled
And yes, it is possible (although I believe in some states that it may be illegal to do so).
Just have to find it and see which ones to disconnect.
Better to do the proper repair

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
The Evap system handles the venting of air from the gas tank so the tank can be re-filled
And yes, it is possible

(although I believe in some states that it may be illegal to do so).
All states.

You are advising them to break Federal law. EPA would frown on you. LOL

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I have a 2002 Sonata and it takes forever to fill up the tank. Is ther anyway to completey disconnect the charcoal canister and let the vapor vent to the atmosphere?
Yes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And yes, it is possible (although I believe in some states that it may be illegal to do so).
Better to do the proper repair
I’ll most likely just put it on the lift and start messing with the 3 hoses that run into the canister.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you know how to do so?
Doubt he will actually tell you how to do it.
It may be illegal to do so and he won't want to steer you wrong.
that’s understandable, I feel I will do the appropriate thing and properly repair it. Is there any chance it may just be the purge valve? “Being the cheapest part to start with”

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
that’s understandable, I feel I will do the appropriate thing and properly repair it. Is there any chance it may just be the purge valve? “Being the cheapest part to start with”
Vent valve...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vent valve...
okay, I wasn’t completely sure what it was called. Would that be the one located on top of the canister or the one located by the manifold?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
okay, I wasn’t completely sure what it was called. Would that be the one located on top of the canister or the one located by the manifold?
manifold=purge....canister=vent....vent valve is where to start

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
manifold=purge....canister=vent....vent valve is where to start
great, I will order a vent valve and see what it does. Is that usually the problem and not the entire canister?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Hopefully the canister is not clogged or the charcoal pellets out and clogging the hoses
If there is an air filter on the vent valve be sure to clean
Don't see any reason why replacement won't fix it.
Just not certain

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hopefully the canister is not clogged or the charcoal pellets out and clogging the hoses
If there is an air filter on the vent valve be sure to clean
Don't see any reason why replacement won't fix it.
Just not certain
Yep....I just can't advise on how to break the law.....vent valves are a problem on GM and Ford not sure how much on Hyundai. I guess he'll find out.:surprise:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yep....I just can't advise on how to break the law.....vent valves are a problem on GM and Ford not sure how much on Hyundai. I guess he'll find out.:surprise:
GM vent valve failures were so bad GM redesigned the part and even advised moving the outlet of the vent valve hose.
Easy way to test one is to remove it and see if you can blow through it.
If you can't push air through it then it's stuck closed and needs to be replaced.
Solenoid failed in the closed position and you can't purge air while filling the tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The pump clicks off when you try and fill the tank? This is pretty common, there's a lot of info on this problem here. I had this, and lived with it until the CEL came on, meaning it would not pass NYS inspection. So I removed the charcoal canister and found out...the membrane failed. I cut the can open with a Dremel, and replaced the membrane with screen. Also replaced the hoses, the filter on the canister, the vent valve, and the purge valve. One common problem is the charcoal pellets getting into the vent valve and jamming it closed, meaning the tank must be dropped. I found I could put gas in once I disconnected the canister. I blew all the lines out with compressed air, to remove any stray pellets.
I replaced the pellets, and sealed the canister with epoxy.

I managed to get the car inspected, but now I'm getting a P0441 purge flow error, so something didn't get fixed. Not up for another round, but at least I got another year out of the car and can fill up like a normal person.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts