Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently went to a 1300 miles round trip. after the first few hours of riding. one thing that hurt most of the time is pressing gas pedal. I hated it. may be my leg is too short i guess. Does anyone else have this problem and is there something that can be done to change the angle of the foot on the pedal which I think is what is causing this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have leg problems also & found that by adjusting the seat in various ways - the power controls are great - that it helped a great deal & I also use the cruise control as much as possible, thereby resting my leg, foot, & ankle. These things really help & I find that even at my age, 65, that I can make trips from Texas to Washington state & back & all the little trips in between with ease.

I particularly enjoy the part of the power seat where I can lower (angle) the front part so as to relieve pressure behind the knees plus the seats of the SFS are just so very comfortable for me. All of this helps the foot pain of driving long distances.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have found most cars cause this because the seat is too close to the floor. Never have this in my truck.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Cruise control is wonderful. My last car didn't have it. The back of my knee would hurt on longish drives. If you don't have cruise I guess playing around with the seating position is your only option. I really feel your pain. Good luck. Cheers.

·
Registered
418 Posts
One problem is because the pedal is actually connected to the floor (the top swings) as compared to other vehicles that are connected from the top (the bottom swings).

This type seems to need more force to operate correctly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Back in the '70's I had a Mercury Capri that was terrible to drive long distances because of the angle of the pedal versus my leg. No cruise and not tilting on the seat. No problem with the SFS, but I do tilt my seat bottom all the way, it helps with my long legs.
The Supercrew I traded in had the powered fore and aft pedals. The wife liked that.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I too have had a problem with leg pain with the new Sport that I didn't have with our 2010 SF. These seats are completely different than the older model.
My pain, if I am in the car for an hour or so, starts at my right butt cheek down to the knee on the back of my leg. It is a dull ache. I tried adjusting the seat but got no help. I usually have my CWP pistol in my right pocket, a small .380 Taurus, moved it to the console ( legal in this state) but got no help there. So I moved my billfold from my right rear pocket to the left. Bingo! Pain gone.
The real test will be a 5 1/2 hour trip to TN in Nov. Oh, I also added more lumbar support to the small of my back.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i recently went to a 1300 miles round trip. after the first few hours of riding. one thing that hurt most of the time is pressing gas pedal. I hated it. may be my leg is too short i guess. Does anyone else have this problem and is there something that can be done to change the angle of the foot on the pedal which I think is what is causing this?

Thanks in advance
If you're driving that long, I can't see why you wouldn't be using cruise control!
The only time I have "ankle" cramping is in bumper to bumper traffic - which I'm not in all too much thankfully...

Also, but sure you're not sitting too close to the pedals/steering wheel - this might give excess discomfort. My old driving instructor always told me the ideal sitting position for the driver is to slide the seat back until your wrist touches the top of the steering wheel. This insures you're not sitting too close to airbags, and have room to drive safely. I've always followed this advice - seems to work good for me.

Also, on longer drives, I've noticed that I just rest my leg against the centre console when I know I won't have to jump over to the brake pedal every minute.

Just me 2 cents...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're driving that long, I can't see why you wouldn't be using cruise control!
The only time I have "ankle" cramping is in bumper to bumper traffic - which I'm not in all too much thankfully...
part of my trip on mountains (almost 4 hrs) with sharp curves and up & downs with speed limit of 65 mph where i can't use cruise control. i have used cruise on straight roads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One problem is because the pedal is actually connected to the floor (the top swings) as compared to other vehicles that are connected from the top (the bottom swings).

This type seems to need more force to operate correctly.
you are correct. i was driving nissan altima before i get the santafe where gas pedal bottom swings.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I do find the pedal on the SFS hard compared to previous cars but nothing that really bothers me a lot. I haven't driven it further than 130 miles at a time so I can't comment on long distance driving but sometimes the stop and go traffic is when I feel more than highway driving.

·
Registered
350 Posts
People with the same problem,other cars talked about a shim under gas pedal to help with the angle,some guys did a diy by bolting down a 1 1/2 " 2x8 where your foot rests,I put 2 floor mats,problem reduced 80%
I can now look forward to buying another MT auto without fear of not being able to drive it. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
With the 2x mat method and seat adjustments,leg pain is a non issue. also the 2x actually helps in the driving dept,the MT is a lot less tiring to drive,way easier even in traffic,the pedal distances are now like other cars I've driven. Makes the E fun to drive. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Being tall, I've had more of an issue with my butt getting sore. What has really helped is tilting up the front of the seat cushion up so that my weight is more evenly distributed across my butt and the back of my thighs. Otherwise, my butt was taking on too much of my weight on its own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may sound weird, but try adjusting the telescoping steering wheel. The steering wheel + seat can both be adjusted independently, but the pedal cannot. Adjusting both the wheel and the seat gives you more flexibility with your position in relation to the pedal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts