Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned 5 Sonatas over the last 12 years. I have always enjoyed an average gas mileage in the mid thirties. I drive 55 miles , one way each day to work, (110 per day). Last December, I traded my 2018 Sonata Sport for a 2020 Sonata SE. This car is the best riding Sonata yet. But the amazing thing to me is the difference in gas mileage! Im averaging 40 plus miles per gallon! The road to work is mostly rural, two lane, with hills and curves and not much traffic. But even when traveling on the interstate with my cruise set on 80, Im still getting 41 - 42 miles per gallon! Im flabbergasted!
I made the mistake of buying a Hybrid Sonata about 3 years ago, and that car was nothing but trouble! I kept it for 1 year and after I got the third " PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY, THE ENGINE IS ABOUT TO SHUT DOWN" message, I let them tow it back to the dealership and I traded that piece of crap. Thats the only time Ive had a bad experience with Hyundai. Ive owned 4 Sonatas, and a Veloster, but I will never own another hybrid.
Anyhow, I now have 21000 miles on my current Sonata and of course I service the oil regularly, as I always have. I have verified these gas mileage results on several fill ups. I thought the dealer told me this engine is a bit bigger that the other 4 cylinder engine in my previous models, so I assumed it would not get as good mileage as before. But I am really enjoying this car, the drive and the mpg's ! Just wondering if any of you are getting the same mileage?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
we get 30/32 in city driving, very little freeway. but, mpg was not why we bought the sonata. we are both retired, so no more commute. but, first and foremost, ventilated seats. then, all the sensors, blind spot, forward crash, backup, etc. 360 camera view. dual climate control. headsup display. the nice stereo. the big navigation screen. with all the comfort stuff, if i was still commuting, i wouldnt care what the mpg was. i even swapped out the 18" wheels and tires for 17, and i would go to 16 if they will clear the calipers. we go 3-4 weeks between fill ups, so mpg is really not important

·
Registered
443 Posts
My last 2 cars were a '12 VW Passat TDI SE w/ roof and nav and a loaded '16 Sonata Limited Plug in Hybrid. I like higher mpg cars. I have a 30-32 mile commute (each way) and sometimes add on 5-20+ miles nightly for kid activities and errands. This is all in the Boston area. I wanted something a bit more fun and that had enough space for me since I am tall and wanted room for family/hockey gear/groceries, etc. I have the N Line which is rated 23/33 and those numbers are pretty much in the middle of what can be achieved. Around town, shorter trips are going to be in the upper teens. Add a few miles with some rolling along at 30-45 mph, will get up to the rating around 23+ mpgs. I have seen highway commutes where I am at 22-26 mpgs with lots of standstill and high speed/acceleration when I could be moving and then again easily pulled 36 mpgs this morning at 65-75 mph, just no crazy acceleration or extended high speeds (doing the same commute 75-85 gets me around 32-33 mpgs during the summer months). My typical tank puts me around 28-30 mpgs - I get better mpgs driving in at 5 am vs driving home around 3-3:30, traffic starts to build around here at 2 pm, going well into the evening. I am happy enough with that and typically have more than enough fun driving it vs driving miserly all the time to try and achieve even better fuel economy.
As the OP noted, and those who have been paying attention for years know, these small 4cyl turbo cars can be pretty efficient and still fun. The 1.6T sounds like a decent engine and the 2.5T in my N Line surprised me that it could easily exceed the rating where as that was not typical when commuting for years in my TDI and plug in hybrid. The plug in hybrid was fine but never shined in hybrid mode, it was at its best in full EV mode. The TDI could exceed stated mpgs but not as reliably as other people used to boast about online. The N Line definitely costs more to fuel but it is so much more fun to drive. In an area like mine where electricity prices are very high, a regular hybrid makes more sense vs a full EV or plug in hybrid. If you don't drive like a maniac then a regular 4 cyl or 4 cyl turbo can yield you good results for a fraction of the upfront cost. I will likely go EV again, full EV this time vs plug in hybrid, if the tax/incentive goes higher but for now I am enjoying this car which has probably the best mix of attributes for me at this given time, decent mpgs being one of the many.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
188 Posts
Yup, same story here. I come from a 2016 Sonata SE and 2019 Sonata SE. My 2019 got really great mileage, usually 36-38. But once I switched to my 2020 Limited, I was also amazed. I can consistently hit 40 mpg on the highway at 80 mph. The best I've seen with was 48 mpg with 20 mph tailwind. Even 90 - 100 mph I'm hitting low 30's. City driving nets me 28-30 with casual driving, low 20's with Sport mode. I think the 8 speed transmission helps keep the RPMs nice and low to net numbers like these.

That's a big plus for me about this car. On days I have to travel for work, it's a 220 mile round trip. So 500+ mile tanks are a very nice thing to have. My gf gets jealous because she's lucky to get half that in her Dodge Dart lol.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited 1.6T
44 Posts
I am 1800 miles into my new Sonata Limited. I am averaging 31mpg with a lot of stop and go driving. I am hoping to do a little better, but this is still 10mpg better than my Ford that I traded in on it.

Also about to retire........and all the features were a HUGE factor in my choosing the new Sonata Limited. LOVE IT.

Reactions: Donnie53

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have owned 5 Sonatas over the last 12 years. I have always enjoyed an average gas mileage in the mid thirties. I drive 55 miles , one way each day to work, (110 per day). Last December, I traded my 2018 Sonata Sport for a 2020 Sonata SE. This car is the best riding Sonata yet. But the amazing thing to me is the difference in gas mileage! Im averaging 40 plus miles per gallon! The road to work is mostly rural, two lane, with hills and curves and not much traffic. But even when traveling on the interstate with my cruise set on 80, Im still getting 41 - 42 miles per gallon! Im flabbergasted!
I made the mistake of buying a Hybrid Sonata about 3 years ago, and that car was nothing but trouble! I kept it for 1 year and after I got the third " PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY, THE ENGINE IS ABOUT TO SHUT DOWN" message, I let them tow it back to the dealership and I traded that piece of crap. Thats the only time Ive had a bad experience with Hyundai. Ive owned 4 Sonatas, and a Veloster, but I will never own another hybrid.
Anyhow, I now have 21000 miles on my current Sonata and of course I service the oil regularly, as I always have. I have verified these gas mileage results on several fill ups. I thought the dealer told me this engine is a bit bigger that the other 4 cylinder engine in my previous models, so I assumed it would not get as good mileage as before. But I am really enjoying this car, the drive and the mpg's ! Just wondering if any of you are getting the same mileage?
I’m now over 33k miles on my 2020 Sonata Hybrid - consistently get over 50mpg. Sorry that your hybrid experience went sour. So far, so good on mine.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
64 Posts
I’m about 3000 miles into my Sonata Limited and have averaged about 24mpg. I came from a Civic which I averaged 27mpg (for 33k miles) driving around the same area, so honestly I’m super happy about the mpg on the Sonata given the size difference. I would love to have a higher mpg but that’s not a problem with the car but rather my foot and LA traffic…

I thought about getting the hybrid before, but I really dislike the front end of the hybrids, it doesn’t appeal to me as much as the gas limited trim and the lack of a pano sunroof (can’t live without it :/) was another factor. Next car I’m definitely going electric, most likely gonna be a Hyundai or Kia as they’ve been pushing out some great stuff so far. Still got many years with the Sonata so we’ll see how much better I can get the mpg!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I purchased a new red 2017 Sonata hybrid (blue edition) Limited with all the bells and whistles (panoramic moonroof etc.). It has just over 30,000 miles and has a quiet comfortable ride (like Buick used to be). I average around 42 mpg around town and around 45 mpg on highway. I service it every 3,000 miles and have never had a problem with it. I had a leased 2015 Sonata Limited before this hybrid I still have. We loved the ride of the 2015 which influenced our 2017 purchase. I think the 2017 I have has a much more comfortable ride than the new Sonatas I’ve test driven. I like the 2017 body more than the current version too. Bottom line, we love our Sonata. We also have a 2011 Elantra we purchased new. It averages 35 mpg. The ride is rough due to suspension and skinny tires, but has been very reliable. We haven’t had any problems and service it every 3000 miles. We love the brand and I would’ve bought aHyundai truck if they had one. I had to buy a Honda Ridgeline for my truck Instead. Hyundai’s coming truck doesn’t have a big enough truckbed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
But the amazing thing to me is the difference in gas mileage! Im averaging 40 plus miles per gallon!
I'm so jealous! I own a 2006 Sonata V6 bought new. I was going to purchase the 4 cylinder but the sticker on the 6 read 20/30 city/hwy. So, I figured that the worst I'd get is 20 mph. That was fine with me since I don't drive much. I have averaged around 7,500 miles per year so I don't spend much on gas and don't contribute much to air pollution or whatever other reasons people argue for higher MPG requirements. On the highway I can average over 30 mpg according to the computer. But in the city I get around 17 mpg. Overall, my average is 17.7 mpg calculated by hand with gas station receipts and the odometer. I'm not heavy on the pedal. If I had known this would be the case, I would have more strongly considered the 4 cylinder Accord, which was closer in price to this V6. I did look at the Accord and didn't really like it but had an 87 Accord which I absolutely loved and consider the best car of the 4 that I've owned. (Really, that means my favorite.) Though unsatisfied with the gas mileage, I'm still glad I got the Sonata. After putting on tires with stiffer side walls I have enjoyed the ride much more than with the original Michelins. Would definitely buy again.

I should note that I was looking to trade it in for a 2011 Sonata (if that is the first year of the new body style) but that only came with a 4 cylinder engine and it was a lot louder than my V6. It was a no-brainer to continue with the 2006.

I'm also glad that I got a car built in America. There were lots of positive articles about the Alabama plant back then. I assume the current Sonatas come from that same plant. Will definitely look at Hyundai and Kia first when shopping again.

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
514 Posts
Got the Limited, 2021 model in Nov 2020. I've got 12,220 miles on it and when I drive normal, I can get about 38 mpg. However, normal is few and far between. Honestly, it really depends on how I drive (normal, aggressive, mild-mannered), where I drive (hills, straights, curvy roads, city and the traffic (flowing at posted speed limit, stop and go, fast and furious). All that being said, the mpg changes from trip to trip. One week I tracked the mpg (it was an aggressive driving week, mostly to and from work (34 miles one way, mostly interstate), and traffic was fast) and I ended up at 29 mpg.

·
Registered
Stormy Sea 2021 Sonata N-Line
124 Posts
Wow, how are you getting that? 😮
Going down a long slightly graded highway?

The best I have been able to get on my N Line is 37.2 over 30ish miles, and that was on a very flat state route behind other traffic limiting my lead foot to 50-55 MPH.

The MPG of the N Line definitely empresses though. I consistently get over the 33 MPG its rated for cruising 75-80 on the interstate, and 35+ on state routes. This is comparable to the 2016 Focus I had with the NA 2.0 that only made ~160 HP and torque, and blows away the 2018 Escape 1.5 Ecoboost I traded in to get the N Line.

City driving is low for me ~18, but my commute to work is only 1.7 miles and its all 'drive a few hundred feet, stop at light, turn, repeat, repeat, repeat'. So there is no time at speed and limited coasting. When I can actually get on roads that aren't stop signs/lights at every block I get much closer to the efficiency the EPA gives it. To be fair though, I don't think any vehicle I have owned has met the City rating where I live. I am not 100% on how the EPA calculates city, but I don't think its very realistic.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wow, how are you getting that? 😮
Lol, probably driving the actual speed limit. I have been getting a consistent 36mpgs on my AM commutes this week running between 65-75mph and keeping acceleration at the minimum fun level, most people in the flow of traffic are traveling 70-80. If I am closer to 75-80, I can get 33 mpgs. This all occurs over a number of miles, can't be a quick, few mile highway drive. One of these days I would like to try it at 55 mph to see what I would get but honestly it just isn't realistic given the typical travel pace, too dangerous.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
had an 87 Accord which I absolutely loved
I had an 88 Accord that was excellent.
I won't say I loved it because it couldn't love me back.
At 220k miles and 20 y.o. it started developing electrical gremlins and the low seats were getting difficult for me and my wifes' aging bodies to get in and out of.

·
Registered
20 Sonata LTD, St. Sea Blue, All Black interior.
126 Posts
Yesterday after a fill up drove 86 miles at mostly 75mph gave me 41.2 mpg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts