Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick trip from Houston to New Orleans and back.. Average was right at 38mpg when I got home. Took the pic about halfway back.

Hitch

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Very nice! Did you keep your speed at a steady 80 MPH the whole way? If you slowed down to about 65-70 MPH you could've easily achieved over 40MPG. Great mileage nonetheless. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (Hitchsays @ May 10 2010, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321557
Did a quick trip from Houston to New Orleans and back.. Average was right at 38mpg when I got home. Took the pic about halfway back.

Hitch
I think it would be better to check the actual mileage by dividing the mileage by the amount of gas used. That is your true mileage per gallon. What ever it is shown on the display it is just for display purposes. I never base my actual mileage on a computer display.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 10 2010, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321571
I think it would be better to check the actual mileage by dividing the mileage by the amount of gas used. That is your true mileage per gallon. What ever it is shown on the display it is just for display purposes. I never base my actual mileage on a computer display.
Right. Actual MPG is little lower than the display. When I got 40.4 on the display, my actual MPG was 38.7 which was still great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My car can't do 38 mpg at 80mph (even just the computer). I drove down to LA doing pretty much 80 the whole time and the computer said 31.1 mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 90% of the trip was with the cruise control set at 78, other than that mostly around 65 in areas where the speed limit dropped.

Also parallel parked it for the first time in the French Quarter. The backup camera makes this so easy! Instead of the usual back and forth a couple of times.

Hitch

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is awesome..
I got my car to get as high as 52 mpg one time going at around 70-75..
I took a picture with my cell phone of it but haven't uploaded it..
Seeing that high mpg def put a smile on my face

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 10 2010, 07:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321571
They're for more than display purposes. Many computers are dead accurate. Mine never varies
by more than .5mpg. The OP should check it once, and from then on can offset if necessary. My
guess is he won't need to offset much if at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The latest calculated number, after averaging fifty miles-per-hour on hilly back roads, plus minimal city driving, was 39.8 .Here's what the trip computer had to say:

[attachment=17904:MPG.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
QUOTE (keeyu @ May 12 2010, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322139
I can't get my car above 20 MPG. Any ideas?
Maybe you have a heavy foot, Our Sonata's are quite peppy from a stop but it will use more gas.

The best I have so far is 28.2 mpg but I only have 462 miles on the car and most of that is in
Chicago expressway traffic, Can't wait to get it on an "Open" road to see what I can get

·
Registered
57 Posts
Brand new, drive home at about 65-70, 150 miles. Averaged 40.1mpg, very good coming from something that averaged 20. Plus it's on regular!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Impressive numbers. On my 06 Sonata V6, the display is off by 1 MPG, if I'm getting 26 its really 25 mpg. That's my experience.

I have 101k miles on my Sonata. New spark plugs, air filter, etc. Fuel mileage has been better at previous mileage. I'm thinking maybe the valve springs need an adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had mine for one week now and have done mostly city driving with a few highway trips and I am pretty surprisingly disappointed with my mileage average of 16.9 mph. I got pretty much the exact same mileage from my old 2006 Subaru Legacy GT (turbo) with similar driving. Actually, if I had mixed in the highway driving I did last week, I bet my Legacy would have done a little better.

So even though I may have a lead foot and my Boston area driving is not conducive to high mileage, I at least expected to beat my much heavier Legacy in an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (keeyu @ May 16 2010, 08:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323353
I have the ECO enabled. I am not sure what is wrong. All highway with the cruiser on I got 25 MPG.
No one here can really help without more details. How much highway driving compared to anything city? How fast were you going? Was there much fluctuation in speeds? These would help.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (2011BosSonata @ May 16 2010, 08:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323346
I've had mine for one week now and have done mostly city driving with a few highway trips and I am pretty surprisingly disappointed with my mileage average of 16.9 mph. I got pretty much the exact same mileage from my old 2006 Subaru Legacy GT (turbo) with similar driving. Actually, if I had mixed in the highway driving I did last week, I bet my Legacy would have done a little better.

So even though I may have a lead foot and my Boston area driving is not conducive to high mileage, I at least expected to beat my much heavier Legacy in an apples to apples comparison.
Well, at least you recognize you've got a lead foot and you're driving in BOSTON traffic ( I could not survive that... I hate traffic), but it seems from my driving as well that this car's transmission is tuned to be far more forgiving for highway driving. I think with your driving habits, you might see a little bit of improvement over the course of breaking in the engine, but other than that, your only other option is following the ECO light's suggestions....

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (2011BosSonata @ May 16 2010, 08:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323346
I've had mine for one week now and have done mostly city driving with a few highway trips and I am pretty surprisingly disappointed with my mileage average of 16.9 mph. I

Are you watching your Eco indicator? It really will help your mileage.

I suspect if you try too hard to get good mileage, you may get ran over by impatient Bostonians. :grin:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts