Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but in Canada we use L/100k but my observations should still make sense.
From published figures on Hyundai site.

Highway - AWD uses 1L more than FWD
- Turbo uses 0.7L more than none turbo
In this case the AWD T will use 6.7+1+.7 = 8.4 same as published

City - AWD uses 0.4L more than FWD
- Turbo uses 0.3L more than none turbo
In this case the AWD T will use 10.1+0.4+0.3 = 10.8?
This is not the same as the 11 published.
There is something wrong here.
Ideas?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry but in Canada we use L/100k but my observations should still make sense.
From published figures on Hyundai site.

Highway - AWD uses 1L more than FWD
- Turbo uses 0.7L more than none turbo
In this case the AWD T will use 6.7+1+.7 = 8.4 same as published

City - AWD uses 0.4L more than FWD
- Turbo uses 0.3L more than none turbo
In this case the AWD T will use 10.1+0.4+0.3 = 10.8?
This is not the same as the 11 published.
There is something wrong here.
Ideas?
Yeah the Turbo is going to spool more in the city so your usage on that would be MUCH higher then even highway. You are probably not even in boost on the highway unless you go to pass somebody.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It's nothing to do with the turbo directly - it's all to do with how much air/fuel is going through the engine. With modern emission regulations, the days of over-fueling have long gone.

In practical terms, it's down to how much power you use - the 2.0T has more power than the 2.4 and owners of 2.0T's tend to use that extra power.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's nothing to do with the turbo directly - it's all to do with how much air/fuel is going through the engine. With modern emission regulations, the days of over-fueling have long gone.

In practical terms, it's down to how much power you use - the 2.0T has more power than the 2.4 and owners of 2.0T's tend to use that extra power.
I think your missing the entire point to be honest. When the turbo is not spooling it's as if the engine is running on a 2.0L N/A amount of Air/Fuel. Which is probably only about 140hp, so while you're just cruising around not fluttering your foot on the gas you're hardly using any fuel and basically just running a N/A motor, which happens a lot on the highway. But as soon as you step on it, your forcing a lot more air via the turbo, which in turn uses more fuel. And that happens every time you stop and go so it "directly has everything to do with the turbo" along with your foot of course!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do appreciate your observations but I think missing my point.

Its not about what gas mileage I get its about the published numbers being somehow inconsistant.
FWD City 10.1
AWD City 10.5
Turbo City 10.4
AWD & Turbo City 11
So AWD uses .4 Turbo uses .3 more than just FWD
In this case AWD & Turbo should use .4 + .3 more than FWD which is 10.8
But the published number is 11 WHY?

·
Registered
413 Posts

Its not about what gas mileage I get its about the published numbers being somehow inconsistant.
FWD City 10.1
AWD City 10.5
Turbo City 10.4
AWD & Turbo City 11
Where are you getting these numbers from? City numbers are an average anyways... It all depends how many stops you make and the average speed limit.
Sometimes I get 10.5L/100km, sometimes I get 13 all city.
On my Trip to Toronto a few weeks ago I hit the 8.4L/100km and I was going 120 most of the way. So I am sure if I went 90 I would have exceeded those numbers.

·
Registered
759 Posts

FWD City 10.1
AWD City 10.5
Turbo City 10.4
AWD & Turbo City 11
I have to agree with Zenar, the numbers will vary a little depending on driving habits, climate etc....
0.2L is not a huge difference in reading to be able to make up....

I drive mainly city - and my L/100 has been stuck on 11.1 or 11.2 for the past month or so....

Mind you with that said, when I did a nice long road trip to Ottawa and back (6 hrs each way), cruising at 110 km/h - I got the SFS down to 8.2 L/100...
I drive the SFS 2.0T SE AWD.

We all know the numbers published were a little off... hence the conpensation Hyundai has offered... really, it's not a big deal. Anyone worried about gas saving should have bought an Accent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The fuel consumption readout on our last 3 Hyundais has been low. We had a 2011 Tucson, 2013 Elantra GT and now a 2013 2.4 FWD Santa Fe Sport. I track the fuel consumption rigorously in a spreadsheet.

So far the average fuel consumption shown on the gauge for the '13 Santa Fe has been 8.223529 while the actual fuel consumption based on refueling and mileage is 9.231012. This is mixed driving, but mainly highway.

This inaccuracy was about the same as for the '11 Tucson but the '13 Elantra's actual fuel consumption was quite a bit worse than the gauge was showing.

Oddly enough, I had a 2003 Elantra GT and it consistently would match its highway rating, but these new cars are not even close. There's a lot of games being played by car builders now with fuel economy ratings, basically they're worthless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Off original subject topic but also seeing inacurate computer numbers for average l/100km.

7.8 is actually 8.5

Typical for Hyundai to report better than actual. Most will not bother to do the math I guess.

Estimated range also off, and filling up when it reports almost empty takes approx. 55 liters. So 10 liters left at close to empty.

Experimentation is prudent with Hyunday...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts