Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gas leak at the connection of the High Pressure Fuel Pump and high pressure fuel pipe. Gas drips and sprays out from the nut area (see pic). The car take a several seconds to turn over to start.

What is the most likely cause?

The car is out of warranty, so trying to repair myself without having to replace any expensive parts unnecessarily.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You're passed 100k miles??? Maybe dealer would a good faith repair.

It looks like it should be a simple fix. I would definitely have a dealer or someone familiar with Hyundais look at it. I say this because it sounds/looks potentially dangerous. Hopefully it is just a simple o-ring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mileage is 79K. I called dealer and he said fuel pump was not covered under 100K Powertrain warranty. It does not look like there is any type of O ring or seal in the nut area. I tried an O ring from some I had around and leak is still there.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace the high pressure pipe.. PIA to do to.. has to be torqued using special socket..

The pipe is a 1 time use item, large bubble on end of pipe..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Mileage is 79K. I called dealer and he said fuel pump was not covered under 100K Powertrain warranty. It does not look like there is any type of O ring or seal in the nut area. I tried an O ring from some I had around and leak is still there.
I would challenge that. The fuel pump is not defective. This is a serious fuel delivery issue, plus the engine is more difficult to start. Emphasize that. That is a powertran problem. I can just imagine the lawsuit they would have if someone's car burst into flames. Would they not fix an oil leak? Is that not a powertran issue?

What the heck is a powertran warranty good for? Only the block and rotating assembly?

·
Registered
349 Posts
powertrain = engine and tranny, internally lubricated parts. Fuel delivery system is usually not included.

But i personally would send my concerns for safety up the Hyundai chain and make sure you get some kind of documentation from the dealer that you brought the vehicle in for service and they would not honor a good faith repair. Specifically have them list on the repair order that the customer states he is concerned for his safety. And also refer your case to the NHTSA. Likely you'll get nowhere, but in case the vehicle does catch on fire, you'll have grounds for a suit...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Above is correct, don't argue with them about what is covered under Powertrain as you'll lose that argument.
Goodwill repairs are typically done by dealers for regular customers who have been coming to them for service, you are less likely to get this consideration if you just come in off the street for the first time.
The high pressure outlet has about 1500psi of fuel pressure so you need to exercise extreme caution around it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
America's Best Warranty = marketing gimmick.
I am really beginning to believe this. Its a hassle to get anything fixed under warranty. JD Power should start monitoring how effectively warranty items are claimed and processed.

That might wake some of these companies up. Just because you proclaim you have a warranty isn't enough. You need the infrastructure to support said claims. Period. No passing the buck under the guise of "independent dealers".

I would be willing to bet that dealers skirt warranty as much as possible because the pay is unbelievably low; impossible to recoup; takes forever to pay out. That is an indication to me how well the company is run.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Claim denial aside, they do have the longest powertrain warranty. If you look at other mfrs pt warranties they all define them the same way to cover only the internal oily bits. If it's bolted on outside, it's under the bumper- to-bumper.
You don't have to like it, but gotta read the fine print.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
True unless you ever have a tranny or engine failure nine years from purchase date while still under 100k miles.
It's sad they only guarantee parts that are highly unlikely to fail.

The warranty should cover more than the block and internals.
Not repairing a dangerous fuel leak is an example of a company not standing behind their product. Period. His car is only 3 years old. Most likely the OP will not purchase another Hyundai now.

I have a Bose headset I fly with. Earlier this year the stirrups that hold the earcups broke. I was 2 months out of warranty. I called Bose to buy some new stirrups. They wouldn't sell them to me so instead they offered to repair my headset as a courtesy including a full reconditioning, usually a $180 service. They went above and beyond to stand behind their product. As a result, I'm more likely to purchase and recommend their products in the future.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
I had an axle seal leak on my Accent at 65k. They repaired that under the powertrain warranty. But the service writer implied it wasn't or she didn't know. They called Hyundai and fixed it under warranty.

They are crooked people those service writers. At the same time I complained about an engine miss and CEL under very specific condition that there was a TSB out on. They wanted to charge me $150 to apply the ECU flash for the fix. I declined and they did it anyway for free.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
the pay is unbelievably low;
Yes, have to do the recalls though... another offender or 2 is the fella that shows up with a noise driving down road wrote up as warranty, tech gets car and drives down road, put it on rack and see tires all chopped-rough treads, bent wheels/crappy tires that not warranty, and I aint getting paid for the inspection that supposed to be customer pay, even though you under 5yr/60, we cant get inspection money up front to look at it, and if it is warranty, then you keep your money.. WAY TOO much free inspect going on.. we see it not warranty, go try to tell customer it customer pay, they leave and we out the time looking at the car.

impossible to recoup;
A lot of time, we WILL NOT tear into something with call to FSE, and DPSM to authorize inspection time up front.. they can flat out deny the claim too,, then somebody out the lost revenue for the work performed

takes forever to pay out.
As long as the claim flys and approved, then it just matter of Hyundai Motor writing the check, but sometimes there be the denied claim, appeal the claim, modify it, resubmit

That is an indication to me how well the company is run.
All kinds of stuff going on..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I had an axle seal leak on my Accent at 65k. They repaired that under the powertrain warranty. But the service writer implied it wasn't or she didn't know. They called Hyundai and fixed it under warranty.

They are crooked people those service writers. At the same time I complained about an engine miss and CEL under very specific condition that there was a TSB out on. They wanted to charge me $150 to apply the ECU flash for the fix. I declined and they did it anyway for free.
65,000 is out of warranty for a MIL concern.. TSB is just a document telling us how to repair a problem if we come across it, rather than replacing un-needed parts/time.. TSB is not automatic warranty repair.. under warranty, if TSB applicable to concern, then you better do the TSB procedure, otherwise they may/can bounce the claim..

You state MIL, like any other repair facility, they should scan and diag the concern, and then apply the proper repair as required, thus we have Diag charge and repair.. nominal charge for update if they want, or just do it while plugged in as a favor.. their call, as long as the tech is getting paid for the time involved.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You know what? Its not the consumers' problem that warranty repairs are a beaurocratic process. Do dealers and Hyundai have a CBA? In the end, it should be about the customer.

We spend a considerable amount of money on the vehicle. It should work as advertized. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
65,000 is out of warranty for a MIL concern.. TSB is just a document telling us how to repair a problem if we come across it, rather than replacing un-needed parts/time.. TSB is not automatic warranty repair.. under warranty, if TSB applicable to concern, then you better do the TSB procedure, otherwise they may/can bounce the claim..

You state MIL, like any other repair facility, they should scan and diag the concern, and then apply the proper repair as required, thus we have Diag charge and repair.. nominal charge for update if they want, or just do it while plugged in as a favor.. their call, as long as the tech is getting paid for the time involved.
I knew that and told them to forget it if they were going to charge. it was a very specific and usual set of circumstances that would trigger the problem. I can read my own codes and clear them easy enough.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You know what? Its not the consumers' problem that warranty repairs are a beaurocratic process. Do dealers and Hyundai have a CBA? In the end, it should be about the customer.

We spend a considerable amount of money on the vehicle. It should work as advertized. Am I wrong?
You are absolutely right. Too bad all dealers and Hyundai are worried about is their bottom line. Its sad when u have to fight tooth n nail for a dealer to fix something that should be covered under warranty anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 40 Posts