Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, haven't been here in a while but loved the advice about removing the snorkel to the air box as well as meeting the friendly teacher from markham who sold me his old sway bar.

anyway, just wondering if anyone has had this problem. I pull the lever to open the gas door on my '08 hatchback but it won't open. Is there a secondary release? Is this an easy fix or should I bring it to the dealer to have it looked at? Thank goodness I had enough gas to make it back to my home town for Thanksgiving dinner(Canada).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. And have a great Thanksgiving for those who live up here in the Great Brown North.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Not familiar with this specific car but this problem usually happens when the cable breaks. Some cars have a secondary release in the trunk

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Rarely might the cable sheath end unsnap from holder at lever, or the door is in a bind.. all you doing is pulling long cable to pull pin away from door to allow it to pop open under spring pressure

Have assistant operate lever while you try to open door.. if it feel like it still pinned in place, then you know the pin not being pulled to allow door to pop open under the spring pressure of spring on door.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
if you're really stuck....this isn't nice but have done this and it works....

cut the cable behind the plastic paneling in the trunk. use vise grips to pull the cable inside the sheath.

like i said, its not pretty. good for a temporary fix. or be like my friend and still use this 2 years later after i made this fix lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Also - depending where the release button is positioned under the door - try a flexible strip of cardboard or an old credit card or similar item cut to size. Ease it into the gap and it will often actuate the button.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,797 Posts
Make sure you lube the button that holds it shut when you get it open. This is the problem more than likely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts