Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone encounter this? I just ran into this the other morning, I needed to get gas and my whole car was frozen over. No snow, just a thin layer frost.. But enough to freeze the lock on the gas door.

I was not able to get it open at all.. I hit lock/unlock about 25 times and nothing.. I gave up and took the wifes car.. By the time I got home all was thawed out and the gas door was working just fine..

·
Registered
128 Posts
We had a severe ice storm a couple weeks ago and there was a casing of 1" ice all around my car, little persuasive punch to the gas door and it opened right up.

·
22,788 Posts
Squirt a tiny bit of white lithium grease into the latch mechanism. (Liquid Wrench is my preferred brand: Wal-Mart, auto stores, etc.) Might as well do the hinge while you're at it. That'll go a long way to eliminate this from recurring due to something as simple as a "thin layer of frost." If "just frost" is keeping the door from springing open, you definitely need some lubricant in there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Anyone encounter this? I just ran into this the other morning, I needed to get gas and my whole car was frozen over. No snow, just a thin layer frost.. But enough to freeze the lock on the gas door.

I was not able to get it open at all.. I hit lock/unlock about 25 times and nothing.. I gave up and took the wifes car.. By the time I got home all was thawed out and the gas door was working just fine..

I have not experienced this. But thanks for the heads-up. I'm gonna have to apply some grease or something.

Should have ordered the Heated Gas Tank Lid option I guess.

HAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Mine was frozen but I just banged it and it opened. For home deicing you can use a heat gun or hairdryer. You can also get de-ice spray for windows that would likely work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
38 Posts
You should have a manual gas cover release in the trunk at least both my 08 and 14 sonatas do. I also had the switch go bad on my 08 Sonata and it had to be replaced.

·
22,788 Posts
You should have a manual gas cover release in the trunk...
I need to take a trip to the garage and have a look. I can't, for the life of me, remember seeing something like that. So much the better if there is.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Grandpa1, lol about the heated gas tank door. It sounds more essential than a heated steering wheel.

We've had frozen fog all week, it that's what it is, it's probably pretty rare, right? But it does seem to find its way into every crack, so even a light frost could make the door stick along the inside rim. But it should break free a lot easier than ice, maybe hand warmth, or the friction of pressing all along the rim, would be enough in barely freezing temps.

I experienced one ice storm in the midwest -- my storm door prevented access to the front door, the entire frame was encased in ice. Shawn gets my sympathy for this year's winter!

·
22,788 Posts
Went out to the garage to check for a fuel door emergency access override in the trunk. If it is there, it's behind the carpeted side panels. I didn't feel like pulling that loose to see. I'll stay with my original plan: lube the latch and the hinge. Maybe this Spring. IF, I remember it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My gas door was stuck today..it was 4c and sunny. I stopped on the highway about 200kms from home, with about 90kms of fuel left (according to the range meter in the car).

It seems the small latch/bar on the right of the fuel door was not working correctly. After about 15mins of pushing it in, pulling on it, starting and stopping the car, making sure mine and wifey's proximity keys were close to the car, etc. it eventually opened.

Then when I tried to close it it would not close. The little bar was sticking out and blocking me from closing it. I was able to easily push the clip in (it moved quite freely) and I was able to lock the fuel door normally.

Keep an eye on this. I toyed with the idea today of breaking the lid off as we were in a hurry to get home so wifey could get to work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts