Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Silver Tiburon with 55K miles on it. Original owner.

About a year or so ago, I noticed that the plastic cover to the gas cap (the door that swings open when you press the release in the car), has faded horribly. The paint is nearly gone.

The Dealer told me they were not familiar with this as being a "known issue" and were not sure what could cause it . . . However, I have seen several Tiburons with the same issue around. I go out of my way to see other Tib's gas cover . . . . and it DOES seem to be a possible issue . . . because my car is certainly not alone.

Does anyone have this issue with their Tiburon? Know anything about it?

I would hope that if there were enough of us with the same problem (and I believe there are), that there would be a recall for the part?

I hate it. My car is in mint condition. Not a scratch and the paint is like new . . . . and then I have this god-awful looking gas cap door . . .

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Dear Kuya,

The dealer is lying to your face. Every BK Tiburon over 3 years old has the plastic gas cap faded. Except Tiburons that have a car cover over them all the time.

One thing the dealer would like is for you to buy a nice fresh new one for over a $100. Don't do it. You can paint this plastic your self and it will last another 2-3 years.

Byron

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004. The cap faded within 1 year and I had dealer replace under warranty.

The rear spoiler faded as well but less abruptly. I failed to get it replaced before warranty expired. It looks like complete crap now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Warranty on paint is 3 yrs/36k miles whichever comes first. I had my gas cap repainted just before the warranty expired, and now the gills are fading too, but not as much as the gas cap did. You're pretty much out of luck to get the dealer to take care of it, so you can either repaint it yourself or get a metallic one from Korea or whatever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 Silver Tiburon with 55K miles on it. Original owner.

About a year or so ago, I noticed that the plastic cover to the gas cap (the door that swings open when you press the release in the car), has faded horribly. The paint is nearly gone.

The Dealer told me they were not familiar with this as being a "known issue" and were not sure what could cause it . . . However, I have seen several Tiburons with the same issue around. I go out of my way to see other Tib's gas cover . . . . and it DOES seem to be a possible issue . . . because my car is certainly not alone.

Does anyone have this issue with their Tiburon? Know anything about it?

I would hope that if there were enough of us with the same problem (and I believe there are), that there would be a recall for the part?

I hate it. My car is in mint condition. Not a scratch and the paint is like new . . . . and then I have this god-awful looking gas cap door . . .

Hey,
I spotted your, "gas cap paint fading problem" when I was actually searching for a replacement for mine. I also have a '05 Silver Hyundai Tiburon with the same exact problem. Car is beautiful but, I can't help but notice (& probably other people too) this "white spot" on the side of my car where the paint has faded from my gas cap. I guess I am just going to buy a new one though. Just wanted to let you know- No, you aren't alone with this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,
I spotted your, "gas cap paint fading problem" when I was actually searching for a replacement for mine. I also have a '05 Silver Hyundai Tiburon with the same exact problem. Car is beautiful but, I can't help but notice (& probably other people too) this "white spot" on the side of my car where the paint has faded from my gas cap. I guess I am just going to buy a new one though. Just wanted to let you know- No, you aren't alone with this issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 03 tibby and the paint on the spoiler, gas cap, and door handles is shot, you're not alone... if you're car is red like mine, then good luck matching paint colors, red is next to impossible to get a perfect match.

·
Banned
18 Posts
There is a product available to re blacken plastic bits for your gas cap like that which I used on the plastic trim of my old 85 Jetta and 94 Golf back in the mid 90's in Louisiana for the same reasons. It worked pretty well - its a cleaner and then a re-colorizing agent... I think it was Forever Black

1 - 8 of 8 Posts