Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had too much going on. Oil change was due. So to get a head start I checked mileage when I arrived home. Could not find my key the next day. Left it in the ignition. Battery was deader than a hammer. So last Thursday put it on my charger. Was not charged till next day. Had funeral out of town and drove 200 miles no issue. I was certain I damaged the battery. Lead acid is not forgiving. To my surprise our car has an AGM battery. Only battery listed at Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Advance, and OReillys is AGM. Lowest price $149 at Wal-Mart. The parts stores in the $200 range. Wal-Mart was out so made an appointment with the dealership. I was told it was $179 for the AGM A/C Delco installed. Same battery was $169 at Amazon. First thing dealership did was test my battery. To my surprise it is at 89%. So my 3 year old battery with one full discharge is doing great. Dealership gives you a printout which is nice. I had a free battery test coupon but did not need it. They were very nice said I was good to go. The moral is the story is OEM AGM battery is is like a Timex watch. Takes a liking and keeps on ticking. Also I found you need a charger rated for AGM. Read my charger manual and it was AGM rated. Sweet!
Good battery test.jpg

·
Registered
349 Posts
To my surprise our car has an AGM battery. Same battery was $169 at Amazon. First thing dealership did was test my battery. To my surprise it is at 89%. So my 3 year old battery with one full discharge is doing great. Also I found you need a charger rated for AGM. Read my charger manual and it was AGM rated. Sweet!
The battery in my 2017 died after a couple of years (but there's no way to know how long it was sitting in the car beforehand).

When I went to replace it I learned it was an AGM type, ie Absorbent Glass Mat. They are more expensive than standard lead acid batteries, but have some advantages.

Here's some info for the curious :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still have my jug of distilled water I used to top off lead acid batteries which my AGM resembles. Looks like it is has removable caps to add water. Last battery I bought was just over $100. There is a sticker shock aspect of AGM.

Battery.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
NAPA has their Legend battery for $139.99 (depending on your location of course), but they had 5 batteries listed for my car. (I drive an eco, and have a smaller engine)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts