Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Carcomplaints.com

HYUNDAI ENGINE LAWSUIT NAMES 2015-16 2.0l & 2.4l SONATA, TUCSON AND SANTA FE

"January 7, 2018 — A Hyundai engine lawsuit claims 2015-2016 Sonata, Tucson and Santa Fe vehicles with Theta 2-liter and 2.4-liter gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines have defects that cause thousands of dollars to repair.

The proposed class-action lawsuit was filed by two Hyundai owners who claim the engines are damaged due to restricted oil flow, typically causing damage to the Theta engines that can't be repaired unless the engines are replaced.

The plaintiffs say they paid thousands of dollars to replace engines they thought were free from defects based on Hyundai's advertising.

According to the lawsuit, Hyundai has actively concealed the Theta engines are prone to damage and failure caused by the connecting rod bearings, leaving owners in the dark until they experience engine problems.

The plaintiffs say if Hyundai would have admitted the engines were defective, owners wouldn't have paid as much for the cars, or possibly not purchased the vehicles in the first place.

The plaintiffs claim Hyundai has known about the Theta engine problems for years, especially through customer complaints and warranty claims, yet dealers have the habit of denying the existence of a defect. Many times, Hyundai allegedly refuses to repair or replace the engines even when the vehicles are still under warranty.

Hyundai has recalled vehicles in the past due to problems with metallic debris from the crankshafts that restricts oil flow to the connecting rod bearings. Without enough oil flow to cool the engine components, the temperature of the bearings causes excessive wear and tear and a knocking noise from the engines.

Owners also report illuminated oil pressure lights and even engines catching on fire. According to previous lawsuits filed about the Theta engines, the problem is brought about by the way Hyundai removed machining debris from the crankshafts.

Affected owners who say they experienced the problems complain about the dangers of stalling in traffic and the hassle of being stranded without a working car.

The Hyundai engine lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California - Coats, et al., v. Hyundai Motor Company, et al.

The plaintiffs are represented by McCune Wright Arevalo LLP, the Sultzer Law Group P.C., and Walsh PLLC.

Hyundai and Kia have faced legal battles over the Theta engines before, including one filed concerning Sonata cars. That lawsuit came out in favor of the plaintiffs who allege 2011-2012 Sonatas have engine defects. Hyundai had recalled the cars in 2015, then federal safety regulators opened an investigation to determine if the recall was enough to fix the cars.

In addition, Hyundai accused one of its engineers of talking to the U.S. government. Japanese media reported at the time that Hyundai petitioned a court by accusing the longtime Hyundai engineer with passing corporate secrets to federal safety regulators."

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hyundai still up to their old bag of tricks...deny deny deny deny

Reactions: dtech

·
Registered
514 Posts
From Carcomplaints.com

HYUNDAI ENGINE LAWSUIT NAMES 2015-16 2.0l & 2.4l SONATA, TUCSON AND SANTA FE

Owners also report illuminated oil pressure lights and even engines catching on fire. According to previous lawsuits filed about the Theta engines, the problem is brought about by the way Hyundai removed machining debris from the crankshafts."
If my Sonata catches fire I'll be a little less than pleased...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hyundai needs to pull it's head out of their keester and over engineer their engines. Bring in known engine builders from around the world to go over the CAD drawings, then make engines and do endurance testing and bring these world engine builders in to investigate the findings. Alter engine to make engine one of the better engines in the world.

Will I need ANOTHER motor in Elantra GT in 14,000 miles from the tick of death?? Some have had two motors already and I bet there are some that have had three. And this motor is NOT even recalled.

Solve your ongoing constant problem with engines. Face the facts, you suck at engine design. GET HELP ASAP. First thing license piston and rod design from Mahle Germany.

MAHLE Group | Piston assemblies & PCU

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I am not buying into the notion that 2015-2016 Sonatas are prone to the same problem the 2011-2014's had yet. Too early and the complaint gives no information on what exactly happened,mileage and so on. How do two people start a proposed class action lawsuit and why no information on their cars? Smells fishy as of right now.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I am not buying into the notion that 2015-2016 Sonatas are prone to the same problem the 2011-2014's had yet. Too early and the complaint gives no information on what exactly happened,mileage and so on. How do two people start a proposed class action lawsuit and why no information on their cars? Smells fishy as of right now.
Agreed. And before anyone gets excited about this lawsuit, you might want to look into these law firms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FYI- HYUNDAI ENGINE LAWSUIT NAMES 2015-16 2.0l & 2.4l SONATA, TUCSON AND SANTA FE

I am actually glad this lawsuit is active. I am currently waiting at my dealer for the last round of oil consumption test...I have a 2015 Sonata Sport with 75000 miles on it and it consumes abnormal amount of oil...hopefully I get a new engine from Hyundai or I will start my car shopping sooner than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
689 Posts
what consumption levels have they measured so far ?

I am actually glad this lawsuit is active. I am currently waiting at my dealer for the last round of oil consumption test...I have a 2015 Sonata Sport with 75000 miles on it and it consumes abnormal amount of oil...hopefully I get a new engine from Hyundai or I will start my car shopping sooner than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
If someone wants to go through the whole legal effort to get an extended warranty on the engine for these models (which can still get denied by Hyundai anyway), go for it. Hyundai has their engine problems, Honda's have their electrical/transmission problems... there's no perfect vehicle or manufacturer. It always sucks when it happens to you or someone you know and I hope it never happens to me as I own two Hyundai's that are in the various engine recalls. I think it's very bad business practice from the dealers they're denying engine claims or not treating the customers more fairly but the people who yell the loudest are the ones who are being shafted. We're not hearing from people who are being treated fairly or have a different experience. I've always felt that warranties are a bit of a joke because they're all subject to corporate approving them regardless if a dealer has done all the maintenance on a vehicle.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a 2007 sonata with the 2,4 theta engine, I drove it 120 miles every day for 5 years( not counting weekend trips ) and it had 179k miles in 2012, it still ran perfect, I traded it in but I tell you what I wish I had kept that car. It was a tank . Only problems I ever had was the driver's sun visor broke, the Tire pressure light always stay on and I had problems with the turn signals burning out but other than those 3 issues, I can not think of anything else I ever had wrong with that car. It's why I brought my 2017 sonata so knock on wood

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm with you here.

Plus I have a 100,000 mile warranty, so I'm not going to lose sleep over the remote possibility something will go wrong. I also take really good care of my baby, full synthetic changed every 5-7,000 miles, and top tier 93 octane.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The topic of THETA 2 GDI crapping out is like really old news,, been going on for yrs now with 2.4 & 20T GDI knocking or seizing,, and to this day we are still seeing them come in either knocking,, or towed in with engine seized.. story I hear at our place is we done about 80 replacement, I have couple received that motor is here for to do if I can get there to do them

If your Theta pukes, 99% likely Hyundai Motor allow us to replace engine..

The current engine test everybody showing up for,,, what god is test on engine with 20-50,000 mile ?? they dont have any hrs on them,, kinda waste of dealer times, as some end up puking later down road after inspection done when they have more hrs / miles on them

·
Registered
214 Posts
If someone wants to go through the whole legal effort to get an extended warranty on the engine for these models (which can still get denied by Hyundai anyway), go for it. Hyundai has their engine problems, Honda's have their electrical/transmission problems... there's no perfect vehicle or manufacturer. It always sucks when it happens to you or someone you know and I hope it never happens to me as I own two Hyundai's that are in the various engine recalls. I think it's very bad business practice from the dealers they're denying engine claims or not treating the customers more fairly but the people who yell the loudest are the ones who are being shafted. We're not hearing from people who are being treated fairly or have a different experience. I've always felt that warranties are a bit of a joke because they're all subject to corporate approving them regardless if a dealer has done all the maintenance on a vehicle.
All companies deny the problems until they are forced to admit them.

And how the warranty is applied is also a problem across the industry.
... Nissan had been denying problems with CVT, and even admitting them, had not handled the recalls fairly. In our Rogue, they've replaced a defective CVT with a new defective CVT, as they still didn't know the reason for failure. And when the 2nd one was starting to fail, - they refused to do anything, even though they knew by that time how to prevent the failure.
It failed after the warranty was over.

·
Registered
214 Posts
From Carcomplaints.com
"January 7, 2018 — A Hyundai engine lawsuit claims 2015-2016 Sonata, Tucson and Santa Fe vehicles with Theta 2-liter and 2.4-liter gasoline direct injection (GDI) engines have defects that cause thousands of dollars to repair.

The proposed class-action lawsuit was filed by two Hyundai owners who claim the engines are damaged due to restricted oil flow, typically causing damage to the Theta engines that can't be repaired unless the engines are replaced.
As far as I understand, the case doesn't have the "class-action", at least not yet. Here is the docket.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm with you in this issue. Too early to tell if the problem is wide spread. I don't care which car maker it is, there's going to be a few clunker motors.

I will say this, Hyundais reputation was improving by leaps and bounds until they opened that Alabama plant.
Does anyone know if the Theta II engines made in Korea are having problems?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm with you in this issue. Too early to tell if the problem is wide spread. I don't care which car maker it is, there's going to be a few clunker motors.

I will say this, Hyundais reputation was improving by leaps and bounds until they opened that Alabama plant.
Does anyone know if the Theta II engines made in Korea are having problems?

yes, the Korean models have had the exact same problem. They did a recall on 2011-2014 models in Korea as well.

My only hope is that they fixed the problem for 2015+ models. I traded in my 2011 for a 2015 model. I will have to decide whether to keep this car after the lease is up in 2019.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts