Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Check Brakes warning message come in today and the car wouldn't start. After checking a few things and trying to stop/restart/waiting about 10 minutes I rolled up the windows and was preparing to call AAA for a tow, when I started thinking the windows were going up a bit slower than normal.
Long story short, the 12v battery was drained after my son sat inside listening to the radio for about 35-40 minutes before his baseball game. Got a jump from a friend and drove it home.
I'm assuming that the lower voltage in the 12v battery wasn't enough to get everything up and running and it threw out the check brakes code. I think it would have made more sense to indicate that the battery voltage was low. I didn't have my meter, but it was at 12.4v when I got home.
Hopefully this will help someone out!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Original battery ?
Shouldn't die after 35 min of the radio. Was the key on and fan and other accessories ? ?
I also can't help but think that the 12V battery should have recharged when the car was switched on, even if the car didn't fully start. I'm thinking the battery likely needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
When I listen to the radio for a long time I start the car like it says. It will run in EV until it gets down to about 32% battery then starts the ICE until about 42% which lasts about 2min then repeat. You won't waist much gas doing this. You can save some battery if you turn off the display after starting the radio.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I think about it a bit more, I think the climate control was still in auto so the fan was still running I believe.
I shut it down in neutral and shifted it to park to leave it in "accessory mode", so I think that was the issue.
Overnight it dropped from 12.4 to 12.3 and hasn't given me any issues since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for your post OP, definitely saved me a tow for sure. Exactly same thing happened to me, waited for my son’s soccer game to be over (only about 30 mins) with the radio on, then boom everything went haywired. First it told me cannot detect key, then I inserted key and it told me to check Break, everything started blinking and going nuts. Finally I found your post so I called someone to help boosted the car and it was all good. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the Check Brakes warning message come in today and the car wouldn't start. After checking a few things and trying to stop/restart/waiting about 10 minutes I rolled up the windows and was preparing to call AAA for a tow, when I started thinking the windows were going up a bit slower than normal.
Long story short, the 12v battery was drained after my son sat inside listening to the radio for about 35-40 minutes before his baseball game. Got a jump from a friend and drove it home.
I'm assuming that the lower voltage in the 12v battery wasn't enough to get everything up and running and it threw out the check brakes code. I think it would have made more sense to indicate that the battery voltage was low. I didn't have my meter, but it was at 12.4v when I got home.
Hopefully this will help someone out!
Thanks for posting, I am new to the hybrid thing so this warning scared me this morning!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts